Does hiring Curry take the pressure off 'Sheed?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Sep 16, 2008.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Does hiring a rookie coach, and all of the lowered expectations that come with that, take pressure off of Rasheed?

I guess what I am saying is, from a personality, media, fan perspective doesn't switching out Flip for Curry keep the spotlight off Sheed, and basically remove any excuses he may have for not bringing an "A" season?
  2. MrKent

MrKent First Round Draft Pick

Nope. As soon as Sheed bricks his first 3, you'll have people complaining about him not playing in the post. Plus, most people want him gone or expect him to be gone by the trade deadline.

The only thing that will take pressure off of Sheed: bring in a legit center to start. And don't even think about "Kwame Brown".
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Criticizing Sheed for overplaying the perimeter is very legit. 2nd on the team in 3PA's when we don't have a true center? That's irresponsible/ lazy bball. I can't believe the coach let him do that.

As further evidence, Chauncey drew almost 3 times more fouls than Sheed. That is purely because Sheed has avoided the paint. When he does go down there, it usually results in a quick fade away where he won't get fouled and won't get the rebound.

I don't care if Sheed shoots all these 3's, but I want him to balance it out with his inside game. He can be the primary option and offensive threat if Curry demands it.
  4. MrKent

Rasheed's low post game (offense) is very much over-rated. Some times it's effective, but a majority of the time he doesn't score in the post consistently.

It was the same thing in Portland (when I rooted against him). He might hit a couple posts early, then brick the rest.

The only way to take pressure off of Rasheed is to get a legit starting center and move him back to the 4. Otherwise, you get the Kendrick Perkins of the world killing us inside.
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Sheed's inside eFG was .664. Dyess is the only player on the team with a higher inside percentage.

I think the reason that it seems like Sheed can get cold from the post is that they are usually isolation plays and we notice his misses. A lot of the other guys pick up more garbage and if they miss the put back it doesn't stand out as much.
  6. MrKent

I still don't see where there's less pressure on Sheed. Right now, Sheed's the ONLY interior defender we have. If he doesn't play inside, everyone complains. If he does play inside, he gets worn out.

So, when KG starts hitting jumpers, Sheed goes out to guard him and Perkins kills us inside. Then people ask "why can't Sheed keep his man off the boards". If he slacks off on KG to protect the inside, everyone wants to know why Sheed won't get out on KG.

Pierce beats Tayshaun off the dribble constantly, Sheed steps up to stop him, Perkins kills us inside and everyone wants to know why Sheed's man gets 20 rebounds.

We've got enough power forwards. We need a legit center so that we can move Sheed back to his natural 4. McDyess is too old, Max is too short, Samb/Amir are unproven and let's not talk about Kwame.
  7. Pistons Lover

Pistons Lover First Round Draft Pick

I don't think at all it takes the pressure off of Sheed. I mean facts and numbers don't matter. It comes down to how well he is going to perform and do what he needs to do as a team player of the Detroit Pistons. M.C. will put him in his place if he acts out of hand but that doesn't mean that we have to take our eye of our Mr. Technical (i call him that to be funny...no harm by it). I hope that this year he does a lot more work in the post instead of jacking up crazy a** three pointers
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

So I think we are in agreement. More pressure on Sheed.
  9. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

I agree.
  10. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

It's his last season of his contract and he's in a lose - lose situation...Unless Kwame averages a 20 and 10...:)
  11. MrKent

Agreed ... uh, unless Kwame Brown brings it ... but we aren't supposed to talk about that ... right?
  12. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Michael Curry: Rasheed Wallace, Pistons need to get in better shape | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press

Definitely more pressure.
  13. MrKent

I read that article too. Michael Curry certainly says the right things. I really hope dude can coach.
  14. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

True Blue Pistons

Isn't that funny how Curry politely hints what players did wrong in previus seasons?
  15. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Good thought, but Sheed didn't quite bring his "A" game this year.