1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Does Detroit even have beat writers?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Pwn Toney, Jun 17, 2006.

1. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

I would think we could give up the rights to that 7 footer from Greece that we drafted and maybe a couple of late 2nd round picks for a new set of Pistons beat writers.

For god's sake, with all the crap going on with this team, the best Rob Parker could bless us with is the inside scoop on Rip Hamilton's new haircut? Man, I tell ya we are in for some award winning Pistons coverage this coming year. It will be AWESOME!

2. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Rob Parker is better than McCoskey at least:puke:.

3. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Silly question. Of course Detroit has beat writers. Other writers beat themto the good stories every time.

You would think in a such a great sports town the local papers would offer a lot more. :ohwell:

Hmmm...you know, there are quite a few Pistons forums on the web, but let's assume for arguments sake that this forum is one of the best. (I can't think of a superior forum, and this one improves all the time, so let's go with it). Intellectual property law is well outside my area of expertise, but I wonder what would happen if Micro put out a paper once a week for sale in Detroit and the metro Detroit area with some of the posts from this forum.

Seriously, there is some great stuff written here (on the Pistons and other sport teams) whether it be analysis, commentary, or statistical info. I guess it would be a lot of work to compile it, but isn't it possible it would reap some nice profits? Maybe not. I haven't really thought the idea through, but your thread title got me thinking about it. An insider would be nice too.

4. himat

himat Bench Warmer

That would be extremely hard to do Tate.

5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I don't have a background in publishing and can only imagine the pitfalls and difficulties of producing a print edition.

That's why I like the internet. It's an always on, usually free, archive. (Relatively) Low overheads.

Ideally, we continue on this path, build up our skills and depth with the articles and posts, generate some online income (yet to be determined) and make enough to cover expenses now while allowing for future growth. There is money to be made, but I don't think anyone gets rich off of running a forum community like this.

The Insider thing goes hand in hand with building the community. More posters, making insightful posts gives us credibility. It's a slow process.

Detroit's beat writers suck. Badly. That's a big reason why we are here. We don't quit talking at 5:00 pm, and we don't publish once a day. If there is news, we talk about it now.

6. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Something everyone agrees on, our beat writers suck.

And even worse than there writing is their motivation. I thought the purpose of the beat writer was to let fans know about the inner workings of the team. But our beat writers seem to think their job is to be PR guys for whomever their contact is. Last year, most of the guys worked for LB. This year, it seems to be an even split between working for Flip and Joe.

How bout working for the people that buy your newspaper?

Still can't believe the beat writers haven't made a single mention of Mole Evans and that SacBee piece.

7. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 All-Star Forum Donor

Pretty tough to get a gauge on the inner workings of the Pistons when it's such a tight-lipped bunch. Being a beat writer is a very difficult job. It's not a 9-5 gig, it's an on-call job. That being said, Detroit's beat writers are still pretty horrible. The coverage typically stinks in the offseason because the beat writers don't work as much. They are busy using the comp time they racked up during the season. I worked for a newspaper sports department. That's how it typically works. But the beat writers are directed by sports editors and that's where the real problem is. Sports editors don't push these beat writers. And many of the columnists make more $$$$$$ than their bosses (the sports editors) so they do whatever they please.

8. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

I have to agree with y'all on the beat writers in Detroit. They do the same with the Lions coverage. O'Hara and Cotsonika are good and balanced, rest of them are no better than the Globe by the Supermarket checkout stand. The internet writers are the worst---cut and paste jobs---and then make it sound like it's their original writings. Truth be told, they probably copy a lot of thoughts off these boards since it's so competitive. ESPN has turned into the Enquirer Sports Programming Network now with all their various point/counterpoint shows, reporters who give more opinions than report the facts, and the worst is they have respect due to their being in the business now for a couple of decades.

Unfortunately, this generation of fans are finding multiple places of information outlets that are more and more becoming harbingers of misinformation without any care for what are the facts. A lot of these guys now are becoming 'stars' in themselves--like Peter King--to the point that what they say is golden and 'wisdom beyond human' at times, or would like you to think so.

Although I do read some of these guys articles, most of the time it's to put it on message boards as topics to disagree, or just blow it up from the sheer stupidity of their arguments.

9. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

A good example is this morning's Free Press. They have an article on the point guard workout last week. So what does it say? It lists the players, quotes Joe D. as saying it was a good workout, and cautions against counting on a drafted point guard because forwards are coming in this week. Then it mentions the Internet rumor about the Seattle 2nd rounder.

Great article, huh? Way to dig deep, do the legwork, check with the agents and players to get their opinions. At least we now have confirmation that there WAS a workout.

We've got a major league sports town with minor league coverage. Doing the article links, I found out that even small Wisconsin papers bring fresh material online five or six hours earlier than ours do; that many papers actually take blogging seriously and put real writers to work on it regularly, instead of the 10-day-old squibs by staffers and interns that we see here. Start at the bottom of the page and see how poor most of it is.

10. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Man, I agree with you Lanier. The detnews content is an absolute joke.

As poor as the Pistons coverage is, the Lions weblog and especially the Ask Mike O'Hara section is freaking pathetic. Its barely ever updated and the "answers" Mike gives, are usually a week late and have absolutely 0 content of any significance or he'll completely ignore the question all together and make a lame attempt at humour. For a supposed "insider" the guy has absolutely no clue.

11. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

As a forum community we should pitch in and look under the rocks for new information (particularly in the summer)... we're fortunate to have Lanier, Slippy & Roscoe volunteer their time...
    You can find new pieces in all sorts of places... often in a player/coach's home town pubs... that's where you find the human interest stories and find out what their summer plans are (camps/scrimmages/workout programs etc)...

Why not give a little back?

12. Ozarkruffrider

I've asked O'Hara questions before and got satisfying answers. A whole lot better than MLive.

13. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The closest thing to O'Hara for Pistons fans is AS Blakely. But Kowalski kills O'Hara for coverage, and Blakely should be the standard not the exception. As LanierFan wrote, the papers do not take this very seriously (evidence: Detroit News/mlive forums, D-News sad attempt at a Blog) and for that other markets are further ahead than us.

I'm less concerned with clever and witty responses to fan questions as I am with some genuine reporting. No one can talk to Ben Wallace for a sitdown post-season? Who is training where, and with whom?

When the Argentine papers scoop the locals on Delfino coverage, I'm most grateful for the internet (and the professor for his translation skills).

14. Ozarkruffrider

I will have to go along with you on O'Hara come to think of it. He actually is on the Lions more than any other sport. And I did ask him about what happened to the Pistons and he said he covers the home games on a side note. What I meant was in reference to the Lions. So on that note, as regards the Pistons coverage, you're right.

btw, Killer is a bonafide idiot. You can't believe a thing he writes, and half the time it's off message boards from his clones.

15. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I get satisfaction from scooping the beat writers... then a couple days later their "moles" pull it off a board.

16. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 All-Star Forum Donor

It's an interesting point, Merc. I wonder how much the beat writers read this forum and others. And I wonder if having these forums around make them work less hard because some of the work is done for them? I dunno. Back in the dark days before the Internet, the fans were more reliant on the beat writers for information. Not so anymore although we still want it.