Does Dale Davis Have Anything Left?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by AllNet, Dec 28, 2005.

1. AllNet

AllNet Second Round Draft Pick

I see all these DNP's and the time he does get some time It's only for 1 or 2 minutes. Does he really have anything left? anyone see anything worth while when he has been in the game? Is he really going to be saved for the late part of the year and the playoffs? will he even be able to be playoff ready when he has barely played all year? he was so good for Indy last year, is he done or can he add something?

I would like to think he will play some minutes tomorrow night against Shaq and do a decent job or at least give some fouls.

Right now he seems like a waste of money but will he be useful?
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I think we will find out tomorrow. I'm comfortable with letting Dale sit. Right now McDyess is starting to play like a 6th man candidate. No need to mess with chemistry.
  3. bricalz

bricalz First Round Draft Pick

Dale

How many of you guys expected him to be playing more than what he is playing now at the start of the season?

We all know our front line is stacked with Sheed, Ben, and Dice, the attempt at developing Darko coming before Dale Davis.

He knows what he was getting into when he signed here. There are few minutes for him here and he's just insurance 6 fouls against Shaq. He knows that, and that's why he's content to sit. And that's why we should be comfortable having him sit.

Worse comes to worst, he can always be traded.

He will be ready when called upon. The guy is a professional. His DNP's shouldn't even be an issue because we knew that from the start he wouldn't have his Indiana minutes here. :confused:
  4. G-man

G-man Starter

I'm with Bricalz

I think you have to look at his line last year when he was playing in Indy, it's pretty close to his career numbers.

He can still board, he can still block, he's a career .531 fg% (lot's of put backs and work in between the blocks), he's a career .56% from the charity stripe (please-stay in close DD!).

He knows the tendencies of the other league bigs and he gets some respect from the whistles. That, plus being ready when his name is called, is about all you need from the guy. He's an insurance policy waiting on a NBA Finals ring...

PS. If Sheed doesn't slow down in collecting those technicals, we may know more before we need or want to.......
  5. G-man

G-man Starter

talkin techs

These are the new CBA technical foul rules that went into effect this season, otherwise known as "Sheed sits" ,
    (borrowed from Larry Coons fine site)

Technical fouls (regular season)
    $1,000 each for the first five technicals
    $1,500 each for the sixth through 10th technicals
    $2,000 each for the 11th through 15th technicals (a warning letter is sent home to mother upon the 12th technical)
    $2,500 plus a one game suspension for the 16th technical
    $2,500 for each additional technical, with a one game suspension every other technical (18th, 20th, 22nd, etc.)

Technical fouls (playoffs)
    $1,000 each for the first and second technicals
    $1,500 each for the third and fourth technicals
    $2,000 each for the fifth and sixth technicals (a warning letter is sent home to mother upon the fifth technical)
    $2,500 plus a one game suspension for the seventh technical
    $2,500 for each additional technical, with a one game suspension every other technical (9th, 11th, 13th, etc.)

*I added that "mother" bit, but letters are sent... :laugh:
  6. max

max All-Star

Davis

Its hard to say. Davis has not played enough to gage where he is at. He was doing very well last summer. I can't see how he could have declined so far in 6 months without some nagging injury catching up to him.
  7. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think he has as much left as EC did last year. He'll probably play the same number of minutes as well.

I loved EC's D on Shaq last year. I wish Larry would have started Elden on Shaq, since that's when Shaq is the most dominent, then bring in Ben when he's nice and worn down.
  8. special ed

special ed First Round Draft Pick

It's clear that the acquisition of D-squared was a two pronged monster.
    Number one, it took a stabilizing force out of the volatile Pacers lockerroom. While the Pacers did not want to match D-squared at that price, it might have been in their best interest as that team has totally fallen apart. Davis brings a mindset that the Pacers sorely needed, what with knowing his role and accepting it, which (everyone knows) in Carlisle's system is HUGE.
    Secondly, being the consummate professional, when Dale is needed he will contribute. It replaced Campbell, gives the Pistons another rock to fall back on, and 6 more fouls for Shaq (or whoever). Plus a practice player that maybe is showing that Darko guy a thing or two about professionalism.
  9. Sycamore Sam

Sycamore Sam First Round Draft Pick

Don't kid yourselves-Dale Davis has a lot left and come playoff time we will see it. Attitude and work ethic are contagious.
  10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Good post. The "Fishers" masses are out in force today.
  11. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

yah Davis played decently for Indiana in the playoffs, plucking him away from them gives the Pacers one less threat. experience is huge during the playoffs and davis will have energy, hustle, defense, rebounding, and the respect of the refs. after watching finley jack up terrible shots for the spurs, i continue what i said at the beginning of the season, that davis/evans was much better to get than just finley
  12. Sycamore Sam

Sycamore Sam First Round Draft Pick

A "Ray of Sunshine" and A "Poisonous Brew" are a good mix!:nod:
  13. max

max All-Star

Thats very true and I don't think there was much of a choice. Without Davis the Pistons would have to rely on totally unproven quantities if something happened.