Does Ben Wallace = $100 Mill?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Zoso, Oct 30, 2005.

?

Is Ben Wallace worthy of a $100 million contract?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    4.5%
  2. No

36 vote(s)
    81.8%
  3. Not sure

6 vote(s)
    13.6%
  1. TBird

TBird First Round Draft Pick

bballjay

I think we need to carefully weigh competing considerations-our desire to treat Ben fairly while simultaneously not losing all the flexibility we need to have to re-sign some of the players (ie Darko) who could be critical to our success five years down the road. That will be a tricky balance to reach, and will depend in large part on Mr. D's willingness to exceed the salary cap. However, I take VERY significant issue with your last statement.

Ben IS Pistons basketball because there is no one on the team who better characterizes what the team is all about.

I know that there are four other starters and numerous other guys coming off the bench, but there is no one single player who you could lose who would have a bigger impact on the IDENTITY of the team. I would argue CB is the only player who is as valuable to us as Ben is.

I agree with you that Darko has a promising future, but to claim that he was equally responsible for our last two trips to the Finals is laughable.
  2. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

i didn't say darko was equally responsible for our championship run. i just said darko was a champion and part of the team just like ben was. i do not dispute that darko had pretty much nothing to do with our last 2 seasons success. but i do believe his not playing had a big part in last seasons failure.

ben is the face of pistons basketball. if ben wallace asks for 100 million then he no longer can say he stands for what pistons basketball is about. ben goes to work every night and brings it except in the first 2 games of the finals. but believe me he is replaceable. the team will not search for an identity if ben leaves. the identity comes from the top down from joe d himself.

the balance not only comes from mr. d but also the players desire to stick together and play for less. tay signed for less than market value but he is still a rich man. i say if ben asks for 100 million let him go to work somewhere else. we'll miss him but he will lose when we play against him. no other team that is willing to pay him that much will be a contender. so if he's going to sign for less somewhere else to be on a contender he might as well sign for less and stay here.
  3. elbows

elbows Second Round Draft Pick

$100 grand is too much

I think Ben's contract should be about what Sheed is getting. If he has a monster year then a bit more. If he has a terrible year or has a debilitating but not career injury then a bit less. I don't buy into the reward for coming cheap argument, because at the time of the sign and trade I think Dumars slightly over-paid for what was Ben's market value at the time.
  4. kpaav

kpaav Bench Warmer Forum Donor

McCrapsy had a good point in todays article that Big Ben will probably recieve a 4 year deal at about 17 per. This will satify him monetarily, make him the highest paid piston EVER, and not strectch the team financially for a lot of years. Plus he can reup at a lower price when he is 35 to retire as a Stone = the new Elder. Also, the question is not if Ben will be here, but how much longer Sheed will. Darko is not being groomed to be Ben, hes too good offesnively. Ben offers something completely different. It is Sheed that is replacable by the HVC. A big man that can score, play D, run the floor, and stretch the Defense.
  5. Tyskillz

Tyskillz First Round Draft Pick

$100 million???

HELL NAW!!!!! As much as I luv Big Ben I can honestly say he is no where near worth that amount. As a matter of fact Ben is likely too classy to even ask for that insane of an amount at his current age. I'm hoping he signs for about the same amount that Rasheed is getting, maybe a lil more if needed but not much... I think Ben knows he's got something good here and wisely wants to retire or at least spend the bulk of his career here in the D. He's not going to try to break the bank on us, however Joe must not roll out a deal that would be considered insulting either.... Similar to how Tom Wilson & co did to Allan Houston years ago only to have ny double their pathetic offer. Bottom line if we offer Ben something fair (around what Sheed collects) he'll be happy to remain a Detroit Piston in my humble opinion....
  6. kolay

kolay First Round Draft Pick

The Pistons' Future

Actually, we can see the totally salary we have now. After this season, except Ben, we have to pay about 57.5M including Prince's new contract. the salaray cap this year is about 47M~50M(51%BRI). The Luxury cap is about 60M(something like 61.5BRI). We hope that will increase next year to 65M, just hope. I think Joe have planned everything. After this season, Joe D have to sign two contract. One is Ben's, one is Darko's. Darko's will be about 8M in the 07-08 season, or something like that, with 10.5% increasing every year, 5 years. I think Ben's contract will be 3 years to 4 years, according to 'Seed's contract. 3 years about 30M+perfomance-based bonus. The 4th year, I think will be player option. And maybe Mr. D have to pay a little luxury tax next year. After that, Joe we start to trade. Davis' contract will finish after 06-07. Dice also have Player option after the year. Evans and Arroyo will be the last year on contract.These 4 players' salary are about 15M. It means we will have some space to sign CB, to tolerate team core's salary, meanwhile we can keep Delfino, Acker, JMAX, Johnson and some rookies. I think 10M a year is reasonable, we will compete for a more long time.

Sorry for my bad English, I speak Chinese, and Ben hate Chinese food, so, I won't afford him more than 10M....
  7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I don't blame you. I love Chinese Food. ;)

Btw, your English is fine, so don't hold back from contributing. I enjoy anyone with knowledge of the CBA/Cap breaking down the realities of each situation. Great job. Make sure you check out Storyteller's link in the Hoops Resources area. Really great for forward projections...
  8. kolay

kolay First Round Draft Pick

Tx micro, I've checked them in hoopshype.com. But there is no Johnson, Prince and Acker's salary. Johnson and Acker's salary should be the minimum rookies, 0.39M, and Prince's should be 7.75M(or something like that) first year without bonus.

By the way, there is an article write by McCosky two days ago, he think Ben is worth 17.5M a year, and should sing him for years. He said that Joe could do a lot of trade and select rookies to keep the team in form. And every final-bound team will live in problem like this. It's totally BS...

I think fortunately, the GM of P is Joe, NOT him.
  9. 1989

1989 First Round Draft Pick

I don't think Ben's worth $100 million, but on the other hand, I don't think he's going to be looking for a contract that big.

Tayshaun for example almost certainly could have gotten a bigger contract from another team, but he chose to stay in Detroit. I think Ben will do the same, and I think a contract a little bit larger than Rasheed's -- which will make Ben the highest-paid Piston ever -- will be enough to satisfy him.

(At least, I hope so; I'd hate to see him leave....)