1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Do you have questions about free agency or the salary cap?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, May 4, 2009.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Do you have questions about free agency or the salary cap?

If you do, please post them.

2. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

What are our options with AI & Sheed's expiring contracts? At this point, they don't have any trade value, correct?

Isn't the story like so: Once the FA starts, they're no longer on Detroit payroll, so we can't trade them unless we do a sign and trade. This would require the player be willing to go along with Detroit. I don't see AI or Sheed doing that. For example, neither one would agree to a sign and trade to Clippers so Detroit can pick up Camby or Kaman.

3. Stereodave

Stereodave First Round Draft Pick

If Sheed's contract is 12 mil and Iverson's is 21 mil why does everyone say we will have 18 to 20 mil in cap space? It doesn't add up.:confused:

4. roscoe36

Good stuff guys, I will answer these tomorrow. I will take new questions until 8:00 PM EST today, although you can post more questions after that and I will address those later.

5. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

What are our total cap options i.e. can we sign a max contract, or max contract + another solid player? Is the MLE independent of the cap space created w/ AI's and Sheed's contract?

6. max

max All-Star

From what I know

1) There are 2 caps. A soft cap and a hard cap. Being under the soft cap is what allows you to sign players outright so we were already x-amt over the soft cap concerning Sheed and AI. The hard cap is what determines luxery tax.

2) MLE. This is mainly used for team who are over the soft cap. If you are under then the MLE is already factored in.

3) FA's. You have to actually submit paper work to the league stating that you will not be re-signing your FA's. Otherwise their previous years contract will continue to go against the cap. If you keep them for a sign/trade then you risk losing the cap space.

4) Why did we not wait and give CB away this summer? As far as I know there are special trade exceptions where salaries do not have to match ( within 20% ) when both teams are under the soft cap. So we would have had to find a team who would have remained under the soft cap after taking on CB's contract. I don't know if there were any teams out there fitting this criteria.

7. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Under the current cap, What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

8. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Try this formula...

[​IMG]

9. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Is there a minimum salary cap? I know there's a league min for number of players. I'm wondering if teams like Memphis and maybe even Detroit decide that if they can't get the big names, if they stay pat or sign a bunch of one year deals, and roll the cap space to next year.

10. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

For those that have trouble with numbers, I'll provide a visual of the two caps.

Soft cap:
    [​IMG]

Hard cap:

[​IMG]

11. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Thanks Bill. Now I finally get it.

Hey, that blow up doll looks familiar. Is she your girlfriend or Jammer's? I can't remember.

12. roscoe36

I would appreciate it if you guys keep this thread on topic please.

13. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I think there is only one cap and it is a hard cap (picture #2 in Bill L's diagram). However, you can exceed the salary cap to re-sign players whose "Bird Rights" you own (Sheed and Dyess now, I believe, but not Okur in '04).

The luxury tax is a set figure above the salary cap that theoretically you could exceed ten fold as long as you're willing to pay the dollar for dollar tax.

Someone asked why the total of Sheed and AI's deals exceeds the amount of cap room that Pistons have and the reason is because Sheed's contract brings them back to the salary cap limit and AI's puts them under.

Hopefully I am not horribly wrong here. Maybe Roscoe laid out this trap to have a good laugh at our expense?

14. roscoe36