Do you "HATE!" LeBron??

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Jun 13, 2011.

1. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

Subject of the day around the country, so, what the he!!. Let's give our takes.

Personally, I don't. I don't like him by any means. Even dislike is a strong word. Annoyed by him is very accurate. Enfuriated by what he represents is very accurate. But no, I do not 'Hate' him. Here's why.

Gotta take everything into consideration. Raised in poverty, I believe. Father was a no-show. Mother is the kind of person that allegedly attacks parking attendents(sp?) at 4am for not getting her car to her fast enough...and sleeps with her son's teammates. He's been told by everyone around him that he's going to be the next Michael Jordan since he was 14. He's been a millionaire since he was 17 or 18. He hasn't had to give a crap about school...or any of the other normal human concerns since he was idk, 15. He's gotten everything he's ever wanted. He was born with it all. And there's really no one else that's ever experienced QUITE that kind of hype, that kind of situation. He came along at a very dangerous time...in terms of the media/sports world obsession with recruiting...the big time advertising dollars going to athletes...etc.

That put the man on an island. He might have everything in the world, but he probably hasn't had a single REAL friend since he was 14. Most of the people he's been close to since then have all wanted something from him. A bunch of hangers-on. A bunch of yes-men. A bunch of agents. Advertising execs. Thieves basically. He's never really been around people that genuinely cared about him...wanted what was best for HIM...told him what he needed to hear...and he's been walking around with an 8th grade education from what I'm assuming was a bad public school. Guy's not that smart. Guy's not getting good advice, from anyone.

Hated how he left Miami. Grant Hill I thought set the tone for how a superstar leaves the team that drafted him. He was honest with the front office. He wanted to live in Orlando. He thought Tim Duncan was going to join him there. He thought he was going to win championships there. The only REAL difference was that he was honest with our front office - enabled a sign and trade that led to a championship for us - and he wasn't such an attention hog. Grant Hill had a great set of parents, and a 4 year education from one of the finest universities in the country though. LeBron didn't even answer texts from Cleveland's front office when he was leaving. He was ticked at them, and didn't care that his retaliation was hurting his fans as well. He didn't have the courage - or knowledge - to do it the right way.

I don't know if the guy wants to be the greatest basketball player ever, and there's nothing wrong with that. Maybe he's content with just being super rich, getting everything he wants. Nothing wrong with that, a lot of good people would be content with the exact same. Just because he was born with the potential to be the greatest ever doesn't mean that it's his duty to fulfill THAT potential. He's dumb. He's got a very strange, un-respected personality. But that's probably not completely his fault either...given what he's the product of.

Don't like him. Who he is. Etc. But I certainly don't HATE him, or even blame him for what he is.

Thoughts?
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Tiger Woods is another example of what can happen when you're told that you are destined for greatness and treated like it from a young age.

It's obvious that LeBron will win a Championship and he'll be one of the top 3 players in the league for the next 7 years at least. But, he just isn't a very humble guy and he doesn't even know enough to pretend that he is. So, he'll be intensely disliked and it's caused by his own actions and words.
  3. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Not at all, I enjoy watching him play both when he is the best player in the game and when he is choking. Being from Sweden where every athlete has the manners of Kevin Durant and always gives the same boring answers I find stuff like The Decision to be quite refreshing.
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The villain role, whether intentionally played or accidently played, is very compelling indeed. I watched this year's Finals more than I would have if LeBron and company weren't in it. Most of the Country was watching to see the Heat fail and were probably very entertained by the whole thing.
  5. blueadams

Disagree on the Tiger Woods statement. He comes from a great family, and has been pretty classy in the public eye. The only thing he's "guilty" of is getting married when he had no business doing so.
  6. Kidstealth

Kidstealth First Round Draft Pick

Isn't "hate" just disliking intensely? I think it is one of those words that is thrown around a lot and people think it means worse than it does. I remember one of my friends asking why I said I hate a certain actor, and I told him he makes awful movies, plays the same roles, and every time I watch him he looks bored and unconvincing.

I absolutely hate LeBron. We are talking about basketball here, so yes. I hate Melo too. I hate them. As people, I don't even know the guy, how could I hate them?

It isn't like I say I hate LeBron and I'm plotting to gun him down in the street, or I hope he dies in a fire. The word for that is a psycho.

I do hate LeBron.
  7. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

Not at all. After reading about him and seeing his documentary, I don't find most of the stuff he does as appalling or surprising as the general public seems to.

It's kind of interesting that a lot of the flack he takes come from him not being the type of player people want him to be, rather just being LeBron. He also brings a lot of criticism on himself.

I find it incredibly interesting that you called him "dumb" though. In fact, the general public's attempt to demean a player by insulting his intelligence gets under my way under my skin because it rarely comes from an informed position.
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Just saying that his reality was warped. His confidence was boosted to incredibly high levels early on and he never really developed any humility. He's an uber jock. After the Tiger collapse, there was a quote from him where he talked about feeling like he "deserved" to have the fruits of life (i.e. booty) because of how great he was and how hard he felt like he worked.

I sense a bit of the "deserve" feeling in LeBron.

The other similarities are that they were both teenage phenoms, they both went pro early, they are 2 of the most physically gifted players in their sports, and they were both being held to their projected legacies as they were forging their actual legacies.

There are a lot of differences though. The biggest one is that Tiger doesn't throw up talcum powder before he tees it up.
  9. blueadams

informed!? have you ever heard him speak!! Have you been under a rock for the last 3-4 years!? He's a complete moron. Is that even debatable?
  10. blueadams

still disagree. i'm as average as average comes...but if I woke up tomorrow and models were throwing themselves at me left and right....yeah.

i can't speak for everyone, or throw percentages out there, but i can safely say that every man i know would say the exact same thing.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

So, if you were married to a model with a young daughter and an infant son and were one of the most recognized and universally respected humans on the planet and were getting close to $100M per year in endorsement income, you'd shack up with any IHOP waitress or stripper and leave a 10 mile long string of sexually aggressive text messages memorializing your indiscretions?

It's not the cheating, it's the warped reality that this what the World owed him.
  12. blueadams

Define "sexually aggressive" text messages.

I didn't get the feeling that he was really pushing himself on any of those women..

But to answer your question, if I found myself in Tigers situation, I probably would've behaved the same way...but I wouldn't have got married in the first place (that's for when all the models are gone).
  13. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I don't like the word "hate". I think that humans (myself included) throw that word around way too much. It's a powerful word.

That being said, I have a severe dislike for LeBron James (the basketball player, the celebrity). I am VERY happy that he isn't getting his finger measured for a ring today. The dude's a jackass!

...Now, I have cut this post short so that I can go back to the same life and the same personal problems that I woke up with today.
  14. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Don't hate em at all. Feel sorry for him...yeah probably because he surrounded himself with the wrong handlers from way back in high school to even now with the team that surrounds him on court...

The real shame is he brought some of this on himself with the decision and even though his team lost, it's as if he was the only one that lost. Bosh took blame all season as the so called weakest link, but other than getting singled out for crying last night, this whole thing seems to be more about a Lebron loss and not a Mavs win.

Which begs the question, where is a the Mavs Congratulatory and Appreciation thread?
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Not really suitable for posting here. Just google it.

And we're definitely getting away from the theme of this thread, which is about hating Lebron. :)
  16. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'll go with severely dislike.
  17. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I hate him, I guess. I think it's good for the NBA in a way though. He is so out of touch with real people and so arrogant and sef absorbed that he unwittingly plays the villain role very well.

One difference between LeBron and Tiger Woods is that Tiger has a sense of humor and apparently LeBron doesn't. Tiger is a master at post round press conferences. LeBron needs to have Charles Barkley teach him how to throw some self deprecating humor into the mix.
  18. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

I also feel sorry for him. He has made some turrible decisions. I see him as a product of a society that love this type of notoriety. All part of our free enterprise system...
  19. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

This honestly just reads to me like "I don't like the guy, he's a stupid doo doo head."

After LeBron stopped killing the Pistons, I've had no reason to dislike the guy. Nothing he does really bothers me other than not developing his post game and his inability to rise to the occasion these last two years. I don't value humility in athletes, so his confidence and antics never bothered me that much. Some of the reasons people don't like the guy seem so "suckerific" to me. Just my opinion though.

I probably feel the same way about Mo Williams as most of America/PF feels about LeBron, that's really the closest I get to relating to disliking LeBron.
  20. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Why do you think Mo Williams is a stupid doo doo head?