Disaster Zone Watch

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by del, Feb 25, 2014.

1. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I concur with your Pistons W/L assessment. It's also conceivable that we could go 0 for April...which depending on the other tankers could grab us a 7th spot in the lottery....
  2. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Progress. The Sacramento debacle set us back a bit but now we are within striking distance again.
  3. max

max All-Star

This is interesting. Based on 20 year data we have a 35% chance of drafting a Star player at #8. This is based on actual data with a sample size of only 20.
    If you average out 6,7,8 its 30% of finding a Star.

NBA Draft Analysis -- Expected value of a pick
    Average Career Stats by draft pick number
    Pick # Gms Min Pts Reb Ast Rtg Star Solid RoleP DeepB Bust DNP
    1 20 555 32.9 16.6 7.8 2.7 27.0 70% 25% 5%
    2 20 583 29.6 12.9 5.9 2.8 21.6 60% 25% 15%
    3 20 535 31.9 15.2 5.1 3.5 23.8 85% 10% 5%
    4 20 585 30.5 13.7 5.5 3.1 22.2 60% 30% 10%
    5 20 552 28.7 13.4 4.9 2.7 21.1 60% 15% 10% 15%
    6 20 406 25.4 10.2 4.6 1.7 16.5 25% 30% 30% 15%
    7 20 483 26.8 10.9 4.3 2.6 17.8 30% 40% 25% 5%
    8 20 397 22.9 9.3 3.9 1.9 15.2 35% 15% 15% 35%
  4. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Wasn't Paul George the 8th pick?
  5. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The Pistons are only 3.5 games ahead of the 4th worst record in the NBA. A monster losing streak to end the season and the Pistons would have about a 38% chance of landing a Top 3 pick......at #3, you've got an 85% chance of landing a STAR! and some people are against tanking....
    linwood likes this.
  6. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Gores is going to be pissed when he finds out the Pistons are close to having the 4th worst record in the league.
  7. LA Dre

Looking at the opponents in April, there is no way we can win more than two games unless Mitchell and Siva play.....

As far getting the third pick, .do we have anyone we can trust to select the right player? I mean Joe will be gone....do we trust Gores to make a selection or will we need to have the new coach and GM in place before draft day?
  8. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

I heard that Kyle Singler will be in charge of the draft.
    linwood likes this.
  9. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

Bad news, I read that Irving injured his biceps and that could be a.season ending injury, that would put Cleveland in the mix trying to tank again..
  10. max

max All-Star

Yes just keep playing the same lineup. They can lose with the best of them and no one can accuse of tanking.
  11. LA Dre

Yep he ran into Blake G last night in the first quarter and they lost by 22. He will probably sit out the rest of the season as they realize that they can't catchup or keep up with Hawks or Knicks.

This is bad news for us as we will be fighting them for that 8th lottery spot. We got to try extra hard in the 4th to miss a few shots and be lazy on defense.
  12. Pistons0809

Pistons0809 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

The real disaster here is how divided Piston fans have become. Calling for the team to purposely lose games? Simply unacceptable for an elite organization like the Detroit Pistons. If the organization should truly mandate this, it is certain to hinder the growth of the team, further divide the community, and reflect poorer than ever on Detroit Basketball. We need to stick together and give our team the positive energy needed to win every possible game.
  13. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Are we divided? Are we Devo?
  14. LA Dre

We can go back in time and find a lot of teams/organization with a more storied history and elite reputation than our beloved Pistons that were accused of tanking and were rewarded with it.

The 96-97 Spurs had The Admiral for a mere six games that season and with Sean Elliott hurt most of the season and an aging Dominque Wilkins leading the charge,,,they semi tanked their way to the third worst record in the league that season. Luck was on their side as they got the # 1 pick, chose some guy named Duncan and now have more titles since than the Pistons have in their history.

The Lakers are actually tanking now, but no one wants to admit it. That is why they didn't want to say that Kobe was't coming back until they were sure that it didn't make any difference.

We all want the Pistons to win, but it appears that they will come up short of a playoff spot, and you would rather get something out of this season....a playoff spot or a draft pick and if you get neither, it appears that your whole season was an exercise in futility.
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
    del and lapiston like this.
  15. max

max All-Star

Seasons over man! Need to rattle of a 5-6 game winning streak just to get back into contention.
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Just because fans want the team to tank (ie want the team to win a championship sometime soon), it doesn't mean that there is any tanking going on. I actually doubt there is given the inspired play and motivations.
  17. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

Time to send CV a tweet...:)
    linwood likes this.
  18. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Absolutely, Dre. It is a lost season. But it will be a disaster if the Pistons also lose the pick. Very bad dealing to leave a top ten pick vulnerable. It looks like the Pistons will be 8th worst. But there is about a 12% chance someone ping pongs ahead of them. Then Charlotte gets the pick. That would be awful.

I think it is not likely that Sacramento will win many games so hard to get to that "safe" 7th pick. How can the Pistons be as bad as they have been the last 4 years and no better than a 7th pick in any one year? This is bad management.

The Lakers are tanking in a way and the fans eagerly admit to wanting loses on the talk shows.

Losing a 9th pick (if the ping pong goes bad) is nothing to take lightly. The Pistons could pick up a point guard to battle for the starting job. They could get a small forward to help the rotation. Either top ten pick would reduced Singler's minutes and or Bynum (if he is brought back). The pick would provide flexibility.

And, the Pistons could do this upgrade without being forced to put someone like Monroe on the block.
    LA Dre likes this.
  19. LA Dre

You correct my fellow los angelean...I ain't haten on our 8th pick from last year, but a number 8 pick this year would probably be better than Pope....yeah I I said it...........
  20. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Oh, no! Kyrie is out at least two weeks for the Cavs. Does that mean the Cavs will slip back past the Pistons? It's like that 9th pick is some magnet drawing the Pistons ever closer.