Detroit's Biggest Sports Icon in the last 25 years

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Apr 20, 2006.

?

Who is the most iconic/heroic Detroit Athlete in the last 25 years?

1. Isiah Thomas

9.5%
  2. Joe Dumars

16.7%
  3. Ben Wallace

11.9%
  4. Barry Sanders

23.8%
  5. Steve Yzerman

38.1%
  6. Alan Trammell

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Jack Morris

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I don't believe that Barry Sanders have more votes than Joe Dumars, I don't get it. Joe brought the championship, Barry brought us grief. Great player who left the game to early, I would be right up there if he had won us a division title at least. But that's the Lions, a completely different topic for another day.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

army, as I think I posted earlier, this poll will look very different if the Pistons have a successful post-season.

Barry and the Lions for some reason inspire a lot of unrewarded loyalty. I appreciate what an amazing athlete Barry was, but his humble and down-to-earth nature have in retrospect been covered by many a writer as merely traits of an introvert.

Barry was amazing when he broke one for 40+. He was lousy when he got tackled twice for loss, then the third down and long pass sailed wide for a 3 and out. Our memories are fuzzy histories indeed. In reality, he was good for 2~4 good runs a game.
  3. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

...its not about what the country thinks, Bro team, its about what we think. As a Army vet, I've been around the world and i gotta tell you. No one speaks that dearly of Barry , in relation to his iconism. He's not revered as a Montana, elway or Favre. For RB's, he's not even up there with Franco Harris as a hero. BECAUSE he won NOTHING! He showed in Green Bay, when we were a "better' team, and left with 16 touches and 00000yards!.Stevie has 3 Cups and if it wasnt for lousy goaltending, 6!!
    Most people take flash over substance, just like a woman takes a doctor over a garbage man. Barry , for all his flash, will always leave me with a bad taste in my mouth. Stevie can never do anything a REAL sports fan will diminish!