Detroit's Biggest Sports Icon in the last 25 years

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Apr 20, 2006.

?

Who is the most iconic/heroic Detroit Athlete in the last 25 years?

1. Isiah Thomas

9.5%
  2. Joe Dumars

16.7%
  3. Ben Wallace

11.9%
  4. Barry Sanders

23.8%
  5. Steve Yzerman

38.1%
  6. Alan Trammell

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Jack Morris

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

A quick Poll. I had no idea where to place this (that being an irony as I laid out the board :ohwell:)

I was working on an Yzerman avatar, and realized that as much as I love Zeke, Stevie probably defines Detroit winning more to me.
  2. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Can you top Joe Dumars? Isiah thomas may have been the prodigal son but JD will end up being the Godfather. [brando/]"So they want Darko...I'll make em an offer they can't refuse.[brando]

What remains to be seen is if he can re-make the pistons once this current version wanes. My money says he will.
  3. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Being a non-local, I've mostly seen these folks from a different perspective. I opted for Sanders. Even though I was much more a basketball fan than a football one, Sanders' name just seems to resonate more with Detroit to me. Could have been all those Thanksgiving Day football games.

Must admit though I haven't a clue who Yzerman is / was. Must be a hockey thing. :redface:
  4. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Worthy candidates. Very tough call and I'm not sure I feel too sure or too good about my final choice.

Wallace & Morris? No way. Ben isn't good enough and Morris left us for money plus he isn't good enough.
    Barry Sanders was probably the best at his position, but no titles. He left before his time.
    Stevie Y is great and has won 3 Stanley Cups, but hockey just isn't that big in most places outside of Detroit or Canada. Played his entire career with Detroit. But no.
    Trammel...One World Series & a nice guy. Not enough.
    Dumars...nice guy...two rings as a player...1+ ? as a GM...but he just didn't have the charisma or world wide notoriety of
    Isiah who has 2 titles and is arguably a big jerk.

Isiah is the man. He gets my vote. (I feel like Stevie or Joe or Trammel should get my vote because I like them much better).

In Idaho the athlete people always talk about when they learn I am from Detroit...Barry Sanders.
  5. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

What about Lem Barney and Charlie Sanders, man? What about Alex Karras, Dave Bing, Robert Probert, Wayno, and Eric Hipple? What about Doug English and Tracy Scroggins? What about Eric Kramer?
  6. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Barney, Karras, Sanders, and Bing all played OVER 25 years ago. Hipple, Kramer, Fontes, & SCROGGINS...you are kidding, right?
  7. Capn

Capn First Round Draft Pick

I voted for Stevie Y. How can you not like a guy who has been going about his business for 20+ years. Leads his team by example and when necessary, speaks up and everybody listens. Even on some of the teams that consisted of 5+ future hall of famers, eveybody listened and respected the Captain (that in itself is an achievement, being the longest player to reign as a captain for one team). Stevie Y epitomizes Detroit... good ol' fashion blue collar type worker. Even took pay cuts to help bring on more players to make HIS team better.

Isiah is a close second. He brought a toughness and a competitive fire that a lot of people in Detroit can relate to.

Barry is the easy choice. When anyone speaks of Detroit around the country, Barry is the name that most people would recognize. But like some others said on here, as much fun as it was to watch him play, he left too early and that leaves a stain on his legacy here.
  8. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Tater, NNNNoooooaaauuuoooooo.
    why 25 years? Icons don't go away.
    Stevie Y is about to flame out. Great choice.
  9. roscoe36

The reason why I/roscoe picked Stevie was probably that series against the Canucks when the Wings were down 2-0 and he carried the team to comeback and win the title. On one good knee.

Although a lot of folks don't follow the Wings, that has to be one of the most amazing runs in Detroit sports history.

Steve is 6th all-time in league points, the longest tenured captain (19 years), and 8th all time in goals. He also holds the 3rd best scoring season ever. He's won the NHL equiv of the MVP, best defensive forward, and the league comeback/perseverance trophy.

If this Pistons team wins, Ben and Joe's stock goes up a lot in my eyes. But Stevie will always be one of the great warriors in Detroit Sports history.
  10. #1Pistonfan

#1Pistonfan First Round Draft Pick 2x Fantasy Champion

Joooooooooooooeeeee Duuuuuuuuuuumaaaaaaaaaaaaaars!!!! (you have to picture blaha saying it) "The rainbow....and it goes!!!!"

He gets my vote, but I'm a bit biased.

I would vote for Stevie Y but ever since the lockout I dont pay too much attention to hockey. And Barry also got consideration but his career was too short and controversial (although he is the most exciting back EVER).
  11. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

I didn't think so much about which one symbolized winning so much. I kind of went by a feeling I have that one of the list was who I consider the best at that position, all-time. There have been better players at all of the positions, in my very own judgment, except one.

And the winner is . . . . . Barry Sanders :peace: !!!
  12. Hotsauce

Hotsauce First Round Draft Pick

I'm sorry, but it has to be Stevie Y.

Unbelievable career, and a red wing for life.
  13. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

Agreed.
    He is the man as far as I'm concerned.Everyone has a choice and good arguement for their vote.But c'mon this is a class act,longest tenured capt. in the NHL and to top it all off besides the numerous injuries he has gone through to play the way he does he had his leg sawed off and realigned to play,wtf I'd be on comp and Social Security right now.He easily could have retired and he still works,he epitomizes what blue collar is all about.
  14. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

I gotta say Barry.

Everyone who follows pro sports knows that on an decent team, Barry would have been a champ. He is always mentioned as one of the greatest running backs of all time.

I love Stevie Y, as does much of Detroit/Michigan, but I think Barry is more of a household name.

Zeke and Joe D, awesome in their own sense too, but like Yzerman they had the right pieces around them.

I think what sets Barry apart is that he was on a team that only made the playoffs once, and is still recognized as one of the best ever at his position. His running style was so different than what anyone else was/is doing. He struck fear into his opponants and was quiet as can be while doing it. Everytime he carried the ball, you were on the edge of your seat.

I think the fact that he left when he did, only adds to his mystique.

I'll tell my kids some day about Joe and Zeke and the bad boys, and I'll tell them all about the hero that was Yzerman... but Barry...? I'll have to get some video footage or something for that!
  15. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I would have to go with Barry also. Isiah was my favorite Piston back in the day. I loved his story, his game, the way he competed. Not to mention the fact, I am more of a hoops fan than a football fan.

Barry was the kind of player you didn`t want to miss witnessing him run the football, being fully aware that at anytime, he could break one for a score anywhere on the field. He was a fixture in Detroit, he was Lions football. It should be a crime that he didn`t get on that NFL Playoff stage more.

Im not a hockey fan, however, I`m aware that Yzerman has been in the NHL, is it 23 years.............Damn! All those years with the Wings?

If that`s true I put him second behind Barry for that alone!
  16. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think Barry was the most talented, no question, but the way he left still doesn't sit well with me. He also missed training camp several years due to contract issues and he wasn't a leader. He was too quite and didn't really make his teammates better. For the record, Barry is my all time favourite Lion. I love him. But I don't think he's the most iconic.

Even though I hate the Wings, I have to give it to Stevie Y. His longevity with one team, and to be the longest serving team captain in the NHL speak volumes about the way his teammates and the organization feel about him. He is a true leader. Plays hurt, makes his teammates better, leades by example and with words. In his prime, was one of the best all around players ever to play the game. His accomplishments alone put him neer the top of that list right off the top, but when you factor in the amazing length of time he's been in Detroit, that puts him over the top in my opinion. Plus, he's a winner. He has more championships than anyone else on that list.
  17. Dlev59

Jammer maybe I`m slow, but how can a running back make his teammates better?
  18. roscoe36

Perhaps by challenging them to 10 mile runs.
  19. Dlev59

Thanks alot Roscoe. I have now ruined my keyboard by spitting OJ ALL OVER IT!!!!!!!!!:whoo:
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The only way to settle this is to see how they would have done in eachother's shoes/ skates.

If Barry Sanders played for the Wings for the past 20 years, and Stevie Y was the Lions running back, which team would have suffered more? I would argue that the Lions would have probably won 1 less playoff game. The Wings probably would not have won the Stanley Cup at all though.

Therefor, I have to go with Yzerman as the more important icon.