Detroit vs. Toronto - Tues. Dec 27th 2005

Discussion in 'December 2005 Games' started by roscoe36, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

review of game

Still too wired up to sleep, so I watched the game again. (I saw King Kong just before the game. If you have seen it, you would understand why I am a bit wired up.) And don't worry, this is not meant to be for the contest. (And actually, my game reports ain't changing a bit for the contest anyway.)

Evans, when it really counted, was plus 20. After that, Toronto did cut the lead to 14 with Evans in the game, but there were less than five minutes to go at that time. I'd say the game was pretty well in hand when we were up 20 points with 8 minutes left, when Evans was at his peak in the plus minus department. Another thing Evans did well tonight: He drove in from the left, passed the ball out to Sheed I think who passed it to Tay for a wide open triple. This is something fairly rare for Evans so far this season. Actually, I can't even remember him driving in like that and successfully kicking the ball out. Another trend we all certainly hope continues. (Evans has received the ball in the post before, drawn defenders, and kicked out.)

Delfino was plus 13 in the 1st half, the most plus of anyone in that first half. Evans was plus 10. I think Arroyo was about plus 11 but I was not really keeping track. Dyess was the least plus off the bench in the first half, as he came off the bench by himself at first, and we lost some of the lead before Delfino joined him. (and Dyess was also negative before Evans joined him in the 2nd half.)By the way, from the moment Delfino entered the game, we went on an 8-0 run. Arroyo had come in a minute after Delfino. Evans came in just after the 8-0 run, but was in later in the half with Arroyo and Delfino sitting while the lead went up some more.

Besides Laim bemoaning all those threes, I can't really fault the Pistons for taking so many. They were open. Not like we were forcing a single one. One was rushed for the shot clock. Otherwise, pretty good shots. Heck, Sheed was standing there lining one up several seconds before he got the ball and was completely unchallenged. And he swished it. If the other team will not guard your perimeter shots, take those threes.

Heck, I don't even think we were having to run plays for those threes. They were coming off of us getting double teamed or going inside. Or if they simply failed to match up.

Rip was just flat out going to the hoop like a champ. Apparently, someone clued Rip in on the little secret. Toronto has no shotblockers. Why shoot a midranger when the inside is wide open. I think Rip had a triple and about 4 or 5 scores inside (including trips to the line) before he sank a midranger. Heck, that was probably just to keep the rust off.

Don't let the stats fool you. Any game Mike James had at all against us tonight was well after the game was decided.

Yes, even watching the 2nd time, it was just bizarre that CB was still out there early in the 4th quarter with us up 20. My guess is that Flip had some sets he wanted to work on trying to get Evans some more time with the first unit. Only way I can make any darn sense out of that.

Just like the last game, we see Tay getting doubled early, and we get a triple off him passing the ball away. (Well last time, it might have been different, but we got points off them doubling Tay.) Tay is one very important player for us. Its hard to see that sometimes at first glance, but the fact he constantly overmatches their guards just can't hardly be talked up enough.

About the most striking characteristic of this team is the near total absence of one on one play. Pretty much 100% teamwork type scoring.
  2. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Piston not just best starting five

but a five man all-star team playing as the Detroit Pistons.
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

How good is Chris Bosh? He's only 21. 'Nuff said...

And Villanueva? Man o man. I think the Raps will be playoff contenders next year. They need to move Rose for some cap room and or a piece or two. A lot of dead weight on that bench...

Great game by the Pistons. Too bad they won't close out teams and give the deep end of the bench a run.

Not playing Darko earlier was almost a mercy. The less comparisons one can draw between Bosh and DMC, the better for our sanity.

That Mike James for Rafer Alston trade was MONEY. Rob Babcock gets a rough ride. He's made some bad moves, but Calderon, James, Villanueva all look to be solid, and Joey Graham will get better. No one looked good last night against the Pistons except the twin towers (CB4 and CV).

BRING ON THE HEAT!
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Since I saw the game on League Pass, I was treated to the Toronto announcers. You guys should have heard them praising the Pistons. They constantly made comments about Detroit being "men" and JD building the team the right way. Basically, they consider themselves to be a blue collar town, and the Pistons are their dream team.

On top of that, they seemed to be very knowledgable announcers compared to average. It is sometimes more fun getting the away broadcast.
  6. max

max All-Star

game

Tashawn - opposing coach also had nothing but praise. Called the Pistons the best team in the league. You can throw all that lack of respect out the window as everyone has nothing but praise. Only people who seem to be knocking the team are us fans. When the team scores too much the defense is questioned. When the Pistons go back to their old style and almost hold SAN under 70 the offense is questioned.

Whatever, I think thats why I am not posting as much this year. Just not much interest in joining some disussion in what the team is doing wrong or what bench player they need to trade for. At this point I would not break up anything. I takeback my idea to trade Arroyo. Only player that I would consider is Darko if he continues to sit but hopefully showing some energy last night will help his cause. I still wonder if Darko is only being punished for something. If he isn't then why has Flip not given away his spot yet?

Last night the Pistons were toying with the Raps and easily walked away with the win. No matter what the Raps did they were going to lose. Too many 3's perhaps but most of them were on pick and rolls or push and pops that left someone wide open beyond the arc. When you that open for a 3 its actually a high percentage shot.
  7. himat

himat Bench Warmer

doesn't it seem kind of boring to you guys? seriously there is not too many things we can talk about with this team. we cant even really argue about the bench anymore either. this team is so good that it's boring. still i love the 23-3 record.
  8. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Good game

Would like to have seen a few less nicks though. Ben get wacked in the mouth by Dice. Tay takes a excessively hard blow across the forearms and hands by Calderon. It looked like Rip may have tweeked something early in the game after a drive to the basket. In the last few minutes Rose (I think) gave Chauncey a hard (unnecessary) elbow to the ribs as he drove the lane.
    Maybe Flip takes notice of these things and subs a little earlier.
  9. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yeah, I heard it too. Unfortunately I have RaptorsTV. I really hate Chuck Swirsky and that other knob.
  10. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

2 cents

I'll try to keep it brief (translation: I'm too lazy for anything but point form). Not really a contest attempt, I just actually got to WATCH this game, so I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

1st Quarter
    - we're taking too many 3's, settling on the outside shot
    - on the other end of the floor we're giving up too much penetration
    - I realize the team is off to a rediculous start, but I'm worried about bad habits forming. Flip needs to get in their faces a bit more. We should be destroying this team and we're just letting them hang around. Not a single timeout called by the Pistons. Mitchell called several well timed ones, got in his player's faces and the Raps responded with a run immediatly after. LB would have called a timeout after the Raps scored 4 consecutive points.

2nd Quarter
    - Dice is back baby!
    - LB = detail guy, Flip = let em play. I'd like to see a combination of both.
    - still too much dribble penetration
    - Delfino looking comfortable and confident out there, he'll continue to improve throughout the season and become a very valuable bench guy come playoffs. No chance he's left off the playoff roster this season.
    - starting to get a bit chippy out there
    - Stones built a fairly quiet 19 point lead

3rd Quarter
    - still too much dribble penetration! Calderon 4-4 all on driving layups. He gets by his man and there's no Big there to meet him. Just too easy.
    - 1st Pistons timeout of the game
    - came out sluggish from half time, poor quarter when they could have put the Raptors away easily and got their bench some PT

4th Quarter
    - Evans looking good. Moving well without the ball, making hustle plays, hitting his shots.
    - I miss Mike James! Man, would he look good coming off our bench this season
    - oh my god, is Darko growing a mustache?? This is the first game I've seen in a while. Quick Joe, trade him before it grows in!!!!
    - Darko still looks too lackadasical out there. Looking a bit lost, not fighting hard for position, lazy inbounds pass stolen, etc.

The Good
    - no let down against a horrible opponent
    - bench played GREAT
    - we won

The Bad
    - the Pistons are still waiting too long to finish teams off. They seem to just turn it on when they have to and then coast, just playing with their opponents. Finish them off early, get some rest for the starters and some PT for the end of the bench
    - I haven't seen many games this season, but I've yet to see Flip actually coach. Will this hurt us come playoff time? Will the team listen to him when it matters, or will they tune him out and say "We've done it all season without help."?

The Ugly
    - Darko's mustache. Man, that thing is nasty!
  11. max

max All-Star

Bored?

I have never enjoyed a season more at this point.

There is a greater challenge to post about a winning team as it is a lot easier to complain. Fine tuning ideas or trying to dissect the new offense and figure out all the plays. There is plenty to post about we just have to up our games as the Pistons already have. And we still have Darko as a standby.
  12. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Threes

Jammertime, it might seem the Pistons were "settling" for threes, but that is just not the case at all in the Toronto game. Time after time, the Pistons went inside or posted up, got a double team, kicked out for a wide open three. Occasionally, the other team just did not play up on Billups. Big mistake. Billups must burns them for that. Once, they just forgot Sheed as he came down the court. A wide open 3 got nailed right there.

In that game, maybe 2 threes were taken off of simple pick plays to free up a shooter. Thats it.

Points in the paint is a very misleading stat. The stat completely fails to account for all the times a team scores off of kick outs from inside play. For the Pistons in the Toronto game, most of the points were scored off inside play.

Here is another very misleading thing about that points in the paint stat. I don't even think it adds in free throws made off driving inside. Correct me if I am wrong anyone, but I don't really thing thats included.

And as for taking too many outside shots, think again on that too. Yes, we took a lot of threes. But one of our usual tricks was almost completely missing in this game. That midranger of Rip's coming off a couple of picks, well, we got either 2 or 4 points off that for the game, tops. Rip was taking that ball right to the basket for the most part. Our outside shots that we did take were simply threes a lot of the time. Shot by shooters all right up there in 3 point shooting percentage.

Rip, CB, and Sheed continue to nail threes at around a 45% clip. Man, there is no way you shoot a 2 if you are that good on threes. And Tay and Evans are at about 36% and 37%, not shabby at all. Easily good enough that you would rather they shoot a 3 if they shoot an outside shot at all.

Toronto does not have good inside players. So they pack it in tight to make up for it. The Pistons took the shots left open, and they were smart enough to stay behind the 3 point line to maximize the points they got from that outside shooting. Excellent game. Would I change a single shot taken? Yep, but nothing to do with 3's. Not one of those was taken when it should not have been.