Detroit vs. Portland - Fri. Dec 20th 2005

Discussion in 'December 2005 Games' started by roscoe36, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

No, this stat is reality.

This is what Darko has actually done. Actual performance. On a per minute basis, he has been blocking shots at a rate 6 times higher than Pachulia. He has actually matched Pachulia in blocks for the season despite playing way less.

Anyone who wants to think of 48 minute stats as projections is simply not understanding what 48 minute stats are good for. No way are they for projecting what a player would do in a 48 minute game.

48 minute stats, or per minute stats, or per 40 minute stats, all do the same thing. They quickly tell you what the actual performance on something has been between two players with disimilar minutes. Nothing more.

Yes, there is more to basketball than blocks. But a player shutting down the lane like Darko does with his exceptional shot blocking ability is nothing to quickly dismiss either.
  2. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Lee, the question was... If Delfino or Darko's man made him look silly on defense would you give this the same attention as you would Evans failures?

All you did was state that Delfino hasn't show any faults on defense so far (total BS)... BTW, he was beat off the dribble at least twice tonight.

So you did answer the question satisfactorly... your answer is clearly NO, I will not report the same failures of Darko and Delfino... I will instead mask any of their mistakes and not report them like I do Evans.

Nice to see you finally give Evans some props... kinda hard to avoid tonight.
    Which player will receive your rath more ...Hunter or Evans?
  3. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Wrong

Getting beat off the dribble a couple of times is nothing. What would be reportable is if it keeps happening. If Delfino consistently showed he could not adjust to a player. Same for Darko. If someone beats him inside, consistently, thats reportable. Getting beat inside happens all the time. It happens to Ben and Sheed constantly. But generally, except by guys like Shaq, not consistently.

I absolutely will report whatever I see negative from Darko or Delfino, same as for any other player. At this point, neither Darko nor Delfino have a ton of experience with guarding any particular player. So simply no negative patterns to report. Sure, you could find fault, make a big deal of it. That is, if you don't understand basketball. Basketball is about making adjustments.

Evans, since he has been in the rotation a lot this year, absolutely has a pattern to report on his defense. So far, he has shown precious little ability to defend taller shooting guards nor small forwards. And he has shown not able to avoid being burnt by point guards. Basically, he has very consistently shown to have trouble guarding NBA players. Game after game, after game. The trend of late is for Flip to give in to the fact Evans can't guard the other team's better offensive players, and has him guarding mostly guards now. Its a big disappointment compared to what I expected from Evans on defense. And very reportable. If he improves, I will report that.

Last observation on Evans, against GS, he can't for a moment stay with Baron Davis. Dissapointing. I really hoped he had some ability defensively to stay with a guy like Davis.

The best observation of Evans' defense is how he did against Gilbert Arenas. Apparently, he matches up quite well with Arenas, and was very effective in closing Arenas down. Thats one player so far where Evans has impressed me with his defense. In 23 games. If you think there is another case worth reporting, let me know. I would be glad to hear another opinion.
  4. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Dude, that tactic won't work on me. lol.

Nice try.

The validity of a block in a game was not the issue. It was you only siting Darko's shot blocking presence as the criteria for why you thought Darko was a better fit for the Pistons than Pachulia.

Your self preservation is obvious.

The 48 min stat deal, well its still a projection as the player did not actually earn the stat calculated.

If I grab a rebound after being in a game for a minute am I guaranteed to grab a rebound the next minute? Or even the next?

Nope.

There goes your arguement.

If in my one minute, I average a rebound and a foul should the evaluation end at 6 mins versus 48?

There goes your arguement again.

Again, this stat is just an estimate. A weak one, but better than nothing when trying to evaluate players. I think it works best when tracking two players that receive a bulk of minutes. The degree of accuracy of the calculation declines as the variance of actual minutes by compared player increases.

Using it to defend a Darko arguement with one stat against a player who has had an awesome season against the NBA's top talent is well...even more weak.