Detroit vs. New York - Thurs. Jan 19th 2006

Discussion in 'January 2006 Games' started by roscoe36, Oct 2, 2005.

1. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

You imply that Chauncey was either being completely honest -- or "fraudulent" -- when he lavished praise on Darko a few months ago. But there is also a third possibility: Chauncey may have been trying to build Darko up, even while harboring some private doubts about his talent. There is nothing dishonorable about overpraising a player to try to make him perform better.

If you are suggesting that Darko's confidence has been undermined by his lack of playing time here, then I think I can agree with you.

I hope you are right about his future in the NBA.

2. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Yea, because Darko's 37.5% at the line this year is real Chauncey Billups-esque :doh:

3. linwood

linwood All-Star

It just doesn't matter. Every game thread, every discussion, every Pistons conversation turns into a Darko debate. :bored:

If only the kid could dominate the offensive glass the way he dominates cyberspace.

4. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

Amazing how the DHOF club rags about the legitimate observations offered by Alridge, Thompson and Barkley. If those three shared their view, they'd be all over their jockstraps.:confused: The truth hurts don't it?:nod:

5. himat

himat Bench Warmer

darko won't do good here. end of discussion if everyone hasn't seen that yet you should look more closely.

6. Pastor Flournoy

Pastor Flournoy First Round Draft Pick

I think you can doubt he will be a good player, but I don't think you can doubt he has talent. However, some of the most talented players in the world can't make it at this level. Talent has to be followed with mental toughness. That’s why the the Kwame Browns are always Kwame Brown. I remember watching an episode of “And 1” on ESPN. Mike James was getting schooled by a few of them guys, but they could never make it in NBA. These are not only the greatest athletes but the stars are the most mentally tough also. Question is can Darko become mentally tough in Detroit, or does he have to go somewhere else with a chip on his shoulder. I hope he makes it somewhere, but I worry he was an 18 year old who had his confidence crushed by LB.

7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I've always been a Sheed fan. Even when he was in Portland.

Are we talking about an undrafted free agent, or the second coming of Kevin Garnett. Because if it is the former, I'm impressed. The latter, whoopity-doo!

The goatee worked for Pau Gasol. But then Gasol was a European star before he got here and rookie of the year in the NBA so everything did not hinge on hairstyle or grooming habits.

Dude, it was garbage time. One of maybe 5 times he has shown an effort in garbage time. Let's not make this the stuff of legend. Jmax has come in and lit up people in garbage time and he hardly gets this kind of pub. And he was a late first rounder considered second round talent.

Take your pick.

Wow. You compared DMC to a late first rounder, our catalyst for the championship run in '04 and the most dominant player in the last 10 years. If I had the inclination, it would be easy to find a dozen things Sheed and Shaq do better. But that is besides the point. Running hard out on the break is what guys who are "into" the game do.

Nope. Tay always played well in any time he got in his rookie year. He never stopped working. Facial expressions are bonus.

Because he is building trade value.

His salary is an albatross. It's something his biggest fans always manage to neglect when discussing him. Fiscal reality hurts. It would be great if we could discuss players outside of their contract value, but if you are being honest about evaluation, it is key, particularly for a team built to be under the cap and an owner who demands spending restraint.

8. roscoe36

Actually their numbers are remarkably close for the first 2 years. Perhaps Thompson can recognize another player who "can't play"?

Considering neither was an NBA player at 17, that's pure speculation.

I've never questioned DMC's talent, although his legendary shooting touch is mostly form, and a lot of rim. It's putting it all together to be a player in the league. Preparation, desire, consistency, attitude. You know, intangibles. The stuff in a man's breast and between his ears.

I find it amazing that you would say he will be the best center in the NBA in six years, above anyone entering the league in the next 5 years. Is the crystal ball rented or a family heirloom? ;) :D

9. himat

himat Bench Warmer

darko should gain a couple minutes. if he performs well again he should become a good rotation player. darko needs to understand nothing is going to be handed to him especially since he's on a championship team.

10. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Re: Review of point guard play

Good break down Lee....when people talk about "quality" minutes, they can go 2 u for lessons.

11. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Re: Review of point guard play

One thing I have to say. Even though I'm not a big Darko fanatic, I still think he should get a few more minutes of real playing time after putting out some solid effort the last couple of games in garbage time. Just a few minutes. Just to let him know that his effort will be rewarded. If everytime he puts out good effort and has a solid game it does nothing to help his playing status, it will make him put out even less effort in the future. At least this way he'll have incentive to play hard during garbage time.

12. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

hi

Thanks for the props Brother. That is one nice thing about this forum, with the threads, its worth the time to take the notes and post something like this. It does not get lost after 60 minutes of drivel about who is using multiple names in a forum.

13. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Re: hi

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Great one Lee!

I can count on 1 hand the # of times I've visited the detnews forum since PF.com opened, but I just happened to be checking up on the Lions and stopped in at the Pistons talk.

Lets just say, I won't be going back. What a freaking waste of time. 5 pages of posts dedicated to Lee's supposed "Muppets" and a "don't call me North American" argument on race.

You have to go back 50 pages to see any legit posts that are actually about the Pistons.

14. clingman

clingman First Round Draft Pick

Totally agreed.....

Unless its a really slow day and I'm just surfing, thus refreshing every 10 or so mins its a waste of time.

To bad too there are a handful of good posters there that are fun to read and things that are brought up that make you go hummmm.... but not worth the time unless its a weekend and have nothing else to do.

Just wish a few more of those "good" posters would migrate here to up the traffic a bit so good debate and discussion wouldn't be so slow at times.

To those in charge, great job..... Keep it up

15. Caliban

Caliban First Round Draft Pick

Actually I have two crystal balls and they are family heirlooms.:eyebrows:

Relax a little, micro, when one makes a prediction in a venue such as this, it's understood that this just an opinion, and it is based on his getting the twenty minutes. If he doesn't, he likely will wash out as an NBA player. Now, tell the truth don't you hear those balls clanging?

16. roscoe36

LOL. I'm cool, based on the condition of your family heirlooms, I gather you are as well. ;)

Smart folk, some of whom post mostly about Darko **tries not to look at you**. Gotta give you the "business" or you might not post again for a month. :D

17. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

the Micro: I believe anyone who posts here can have an opinion. And especially so when it agrees with my own :nod: :nod: .

And your opinion which you express each time you post (your tired old tagline) just keeps expressing and expressing ad infinitum. (Note that I did not say 'ad nauseum'). That is because I am being nice on a Sunday.

Aren't these forums wonderful? Nowhere else can we get people to read our opinions and agree or disagree out loud. Keep it up :peace: !!!