Detroit vs. New York - Thurs. Jan 19th 2006

Discussion in 'January 2006 Games' started by roscoe36, Oct 2, 2005.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Pistons Game 37 of the 2005/6 NBA Regular Season
    Thurs. Jan 19th 2006, 8:00 PM Eastern
    Madison Square Garden, built 1968, capacity 19,763
    TV: TNT, RNBATV
    Radio: WDFN 1130AM
  2. max

max All-Star

Knicks will be without Marbury ( Shoulder ) and DAvis ( suspension ) for tonights game.

Knicks have lost 3 straight but are .500 ( 9-9 ) at home. Historically has always been a tough win in NY.

Write it down. Detroit wins #32 105 to 79

BoxScoreAndPlaybyPlay - From nba.com
  3. roscoe36

Game Chat will be open for this game. Let's give it a testdrive.
  4. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Starter Forum Donor

Game thoughts

Good thing C-Note didn't shoot too much. He needs to re-assess his shot selection. I figure he'd be backing down Robinson all night. Didn't happen. I don't understand this at all. C-Note ran the offense great though.

Tonight, it was name your mismatch. Tay and Sheed both had mismatches, which they exploited. But let's face it, this is a bad Knicks team that is even worse without Davis and Marbury.

Delfino is quickly turning out to be the surprise of the season. He looks great out there and his defense has improved big time. His game is very much in control. He seems fearless in taking the ball to the rack, too. Muy bien, Carlos.

Darko looked like he cared out there. I was surprised to hear the TNT crew ripping him so hard after he made some plays. All you Darko lovers/Davis haters please note that Davis did not play and Darko did. One less thing to whine about.

McDyess had an uncharacteristically bad shooting night but still rebounded the ball well.

32-5.
  5. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Re: Game thoughts

That musta been some kind of record for 3 point attempts... wonder if they talked about using this weapon against the anti 3 man?

Reminds me of the 89-90 team when they could spread the floor and open up the passing lanes... if you're defending the Pistons you have to bring a big out on Sheed.... I just hope they don't get too lazy shooting 3's all the time.

Still they took care of business against a green team... the inside help D is getting better.
  6. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Re: Game thoughts

Absolutely Darko deserves some props for his effort tonight (even if it was against 6' 8" guys)... he played more like that rough TP instead of Charmine tonight.... for our trekies... he'll still leave a lotta clingons around uranus.
  7. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

game report

From the beginning, Detroit was just toying with NY. There was no way, no how we could lose this game. The starters came out executing, and playing D. Rip was just simply going right to the basket without resistence. For the game, Sheed hit 4 3 pointers, Tay knocked down 18, many with outside shots, but one very impressive drive in from the left and dunk. Rip included some long rangers as the Pistons got over 10 triples in this game. Delfino and Evans each knocked one down late in the game to run that total up. Ben as usual did not score. He blew a wide open dunk, and threw up an airball at the line. And he defended Curry just fine. Billups got over 10 assists but did little scoring himself.

Arroyo came in with a little over 2 minutes left in the first quarter, and left with about 6 minutes to go in the half. A good long stint. We gained just one point during this time, because wide open shots were missed. Dyess was off. By the way, anyone notice all the passes Dyess is dropping? Seems he can't bend those knees down.

Evans made a couple of decent plays when he first came into the game, but contributed very little besides that. Without that triple late in the game you would have to say he had an off night, along with Billups and Dyess. With team, a few people being off just does not matter. Just way too much fire power. I suppose someone will bemoan the fact we counted on so many triples. But these, time and again, were wide open triples. We missed 4 in a row at one point, one each Sheed, CB, Tay, and Rip. So what. Except for CB, each of these players canned multiple threes. Thats a lot of offense.

Delfino flat out looked marvelous in this game. Especially in the 2nd half. In that 2nd half, neither Arroyo nor Evans got in the game until it was pretty well over. Just Dyess and Delfino for a good stretch. Delfino hit two jumpers coming off curls into the middle, drove in and got fouled. Drove from the right and got fouled on a dunk attempt. Plus the late triple, just to show us fans he really can nail triples.

Maxiell was again impressive in getting to the line, but darn, he is looking just steadily worse at the line. Not the way to garner playing time. Darko got 6 points, some bounds, and assist. He had one outside jumper, a layup on a pick and roll, and a tip back.

Biggest issue in my mind tonight, besides Darko of course who I believe is the key to winning it all this year, is Evans. Look, Delfino can flat out play. Give the minutes to Delfino. That would make our team a lot better immediately. This is not hating on Evans. Just really, really liking Delfino.

There was nothing really at all wrong with the play of our bench in that 1st half. Just missing shots. But despite the missed shots, like I said, Arroyo was plus one in that first half. Our defense held.

Dale Davis did not play in garbage time. The Darko detractors are going to have a hard time explaining that. Flip was interviewed before the game by one of the announcers. Flip told the guy that Darko was simply playing behind three very good players. Nothing negative about Darko whatsoever. For the record, Darko ain't missed an outside shot of late. Anyone still want to complain about him taking outside shots during practice in those three on threes? I for one want to see Darko be an outside threat, just like he was the day we got him. There is nothing wrong with a 7 footer having range. When we heard about why Darko was drafted, a big part of it was about how Darko could hit them from anywhere in the gym.

Channing Frye was quite impressive. But his outside shot was the most impressive thing about him when NY sorely needs bigs inside. They need someone to block shots. They ain't got nothing inside at all. This team could absolutely use a guy like Darko. Ha Ha Ha, they can't have him. GO PISTONS!!!!!
  8. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

WTG Darko!! Keep it up. Give him some time next game Flip to see if he can repeat the performance. (He probably can't, but give him the opportunity).

I "signed" Delfino up for my Fantasy team after tonights game. That will likely kill his progress immediately. :(

Oh, yeah. The starters looked great too...but that's a given. **spoiled**

It seemed like they shot a lot of threes just to show Larry what he missed, but maybe they always shoot that many (I'm too lazy to look).

32-5. Man, whoda thunk it? We are going to look back on this in a few years and just think "WOW"!!!:first::whoo:
  9. clingman

clingman First Round Draft Pick

Nice Game, comment about mins

reading the last two night how were not playing our bench enough and overplaying our bench. I think people are getting a bit picky here. For one the bench is playing aside the starters to find out combo's that work well and which don't. So for the most part the 4th quarter has been 2 starters and 3 bench players. I got curious after the game and looked at our starters minutes for the last 4 games

avg seasnon avg
    Prince 31 29 27 27 28.5 36.4 down 8 mins
    Ben 31 33 35 34 33.3 36.5 down 3 mins
    Sheed 29 41 26 33 32.3 34.9 down 2.5 mins
    Rip 34 36 26 32 32.0 36.8 down 4.8 mins
    Billups 33 44 32 32 35.3 35.8 down .5 mins (though the 44 min game killed his average)

If the bench continues to look good i think we can all live with starters averaging in the 32-33 min range.

And who says the draft was a bust 3 years ago..... Delfino was drafted in the same draft Darko was...
  10. max

max All-Star

I don't think I have ever seen 2 back-back 3-pointers in which both players were so open that they had time to take a step back, rotate the ball to the laces, aim and shoot. Sheed did it and then Evans on the very next play.

Underhanded or not the Knicks did not compete. Pistons are playing great but that was the easiest game of the season so far. At least the Hawks made the Pistons work.
  11. Pastor Flournoy

Pastor Flournoy First Round Draft Pick

Bottom line....Darko went into Flip's doghouse for not showing up against LB and the knicks the last time these two teams played. This should get him out. We need Darko to begin to show Carlos D type improvement. If Antonio goes down and Darko is not ready we are in trouble. IMO this is a big step playing this well against LB. It's like the little kid who finally stands up to his mean step dad.
  12. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

In getting to see the Pistons for one of the few times I can, it continues to amaze me how well this team plays together. Rip was just having his way and with Sheed the inside and outside threat, Chauncy did not need to bash his man, like he could have. Taysh was great especially on that move resulting in the dunk. Ben got blocked by the rim again and muffed a pass underneath. I think it completely surprised him. But he was also the absolute intimidator underneath.

Delfino continues to improve and really looks fearless. Looks like the people who have continually said that he does not have Piston DNA can blow that out of their . . . (excuse me, this is a family forum).

I guess you guys have been pulling my leg all along with that stuff about Darko not belonging. 3 out of 3 including a put-back off the side of his hand; that touch pass to (I believe) Delfino for the trey; getting the board to get JMax back to the line; altered a couple of shots. What the heck have you guys been talking about. Everything he did tonight indicated Piston DNA. And I don't know what somebody is talking about with the TNT announcers being down on DMC. The only thing I heard that could be construed as downgrading is the one about adding to his stats during garbage time, and to hear most of you talk, that is an asset, not a detriment. Double standards??

It was great to see the look on "little ykw's" face when he was getting a whipping. I know, it is a bad team but after all, they should be well on their way now with the great coaching they are getting :eyebrows: .

It was just great to see a game like this when I don't get to see that many. Guess I will have to sell out down here and move back to the cold north. On the other hand, Midland had 44 accidents last Tuesday with people skidding on ice and wrecking. Guess I will stay here for a while yet. We will be home before the playoffs.

I admire all you guys who stay up north the winters. Na-a-ah, I don't; I wish you could all be down here enjoying the warmth. Besides if you were down here, they would televise more Piston games :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:!

Anyway, great job, Pistons, from top to bottom.
  13. roscoe36

Darko's performance was in garbage time, which apparently he is now taking with some degree of seriousness.

The Hawks could have beat the Knicks by a dozen tonight. They were that bad. It's all unfolding the way I thought it would. LB's getting his rooks some PT, and the Knicks are not done dealing this year. The roster will continue to get tweaked. As Reggie Miller said, this team will get turned around. LB's never done less, no reason to think he will this time.

Amazing game by the Pistons. Merc and I were commenting in the game chat that all of this winning and domination is kinda ho-hum. We definitely are getting spoiled on some of the best Detroit basketball played in 14 years.

Nice to see Delfino and Evans continue to raise their games.

The only question left is.... who was auditioning tonight? Darko, Arroyo or both?
  14. Pastor Flournoy

Pastor Flournoy First Round Draft Pick

After the game they were saying if he could play...,he would be playing. I just hope we don't have a JO on our hands.
  15. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

The reference in the prior post to the "TNT announcers" had to be to two members of the TNT studio crew -- former Cavs coach Paul Silas and Charles Barkley -- who were extremely harsh in their assessment of Darko in post-game comments. Paul Silas said flatly that Darko cannot play, and Barkley went along with that. Barkley basically said that anybody who practiced against the Wallace brothers for as long as Darko has without improving during that period could not have much talent. Both were responding to comments made by David Aldridge (who was also in the studio) that for the first time Joe D. has signalled to other teams that they may be willing to deal Darko.
  16. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Whoaa!!!

Good job by Darko, but it was only one game and against scrubs for the most part. I wouldn't say he has Piston's DNA yet.
  17. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Re: game report

It never hurts to have different options off the bench. Evans is still consistantly shooting well and hustling. You can't just knock him out of the rotation because Delfino has a few very solid games. Trust me, I have been a huge Delfino supporter even during the "dark days" when people were questioning his manhood. A part of me wants him to be "the guy" off the bench, but it's nice to have 2 guys that can fill it up at that position off the bench. So, unless Evans really falls off at some point, he still needs to play some.

Also, since you're such a fan of +/- stats, you should know that Evans and Dice are the only players off the bench in the "positive" column overall (outside of never-plays-davis). Not that it means a whole lot, IMO, but it's worth noting. I wish there was a "+/- for non-garbage time" stat.
  18. roscoe36

That was Coach John Thompson of Georgetown fame, not Paul Silas.

Thompson coached some of the premier talent to play at that college. Patrick Ewing, Alonzo Mourning, Dikembe Mutombo and Allen Iverson to name a few. When he speaks about big men, his words carry weight. He was an NBA center on the 64-66 Celtics teams.
  19. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

My bad. Thanks for the correction and for the additional information about Thompson. He and Barkley were absolutely brutal in their comments about Darko.
  20. max

max All-Star

I think Thompson said something like "It ain't going to happen" in reference to Darko.

Darko made some smooth plays on offense but his defense sucked as usual. Couple of Jams right over his head and simple cross overs stumped him again. Can't rebound well. Darko is not doing 2 of the main things that will get him PT - Defense and Rebounding.