Detroit vs. New York - Fri. Dec 2nd 2005

Discussion in 'December 2005 Games' started by roscoe36, Oct 2, 2005.

1. TBird

TBird First Round Draft Pick

Prediction

Darko will lose his spot in the rotation to Dale Davis in short order if he keeps playing this way.
  2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Yep, Flip puts him in and Flip is rewarded with a sad sack performance. Maybe Larry was right all along.

Valuable experience? Darko is only getting valuable experience if he chooses to be a brick layer when he grows up.

I'm with Flip. Let Darko earn his time by doing well in garbage time. He doesn't deserve to be in there right now if tonights performance is any indication of what we can expect from him.

Darko needs to show me something before I complain any more about his lack of playing time. He had his chance.
  3. 1989

1989 First Round Draft Pick

Rip's career best

That Cleveland game from a couple of years ago was quite something for Rip. He was on fire from the field and from the line -- he even hit his lone trey attempt -- and tossed in 7 boards and 5 dimes.

Here's the boxscore
  4. Darth Tater

Good point, my friend.

GO RIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. max

max All-Star

Soon

Even Amir Johnson would have done better.
  6. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

LB game

This was the LB game. The Pistons knew from the get go they would get the W. So, no defense in the first half. Turn it on in the third and when the blow out is there, ease off out of respect for Larry. The starters respected Larry tonight. And I am very proud of them. I had problems with Larry's offense but I am proud that he was a Piston coach. Seeing everyone together was like watching a surreal movie scene. Tay and Rip were awesome and need to be kept fresh. Are you there Joe? Please keep them fresh. Sheed does many little things and we didn't need more tonight. Ok, Lee and others, Arroyo made some nice plays and he made some bonehead plays. I thought he looked good at times, LA Sam. But he is liable for a turnover at any time. Can we afford this in a big game? Still, not bad. Darko was bad. Have to call it like it is. Yes, he needs the experience but he is definitely not ready for playoff prime time. Evans showed some spark with the tip and I like the fact he can hit a three. Lee, he was not as bad as you painted him in your summary. No, he is not a ball handler but he can be plugged in to do certain things. He is a role player. The unit as a whole was bad. Maybe they are not a good match. Overall, the first team can really move the ball on offense--that third quarter was a quarter we rarely had last year. This is a good sign Piston fans and so is our record.
  7. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Nope, not new at all.

I guess I'm still holding out hope that Darko will roll out of bed one day soon and a light bulb (one of the new high efficiency compact florescent ones) will go off in his head and he'll realize that he needs to be more aggressive and make the most of his limited opportunities - garbage time or not.
  8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Darko is like Joe D signed up for Direct Energy and locked in his hydro cost for 4 years. That "market increase" never arrived...
  9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Dorko

played as if LB was still coaching him and couldn't show LB that his game has progressed. Now is it time for all of you to realize that maybe we should cut our losses and trade him to the highest bidder:nod:. If he can't contribute by the trading deadline, dump him on some team that will play him everyday and we get someone who can give us 15 and 8 off the bench every night
  10. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Hahaha, great analogy. I've always been hesitant to lock in to those things.

The thing I love about Joe D. is that he already recognizes that our bench isn't getting it done and won't hesitate to make a move if need be.

I'm confident that either a) our current bench will step it up as the season progress or b) Joe D. will make a move or two by the trade deadline to shore up our bench.

Joe knows we have to be deeper if we have any chance of reclaiming the Championship - especially against a deep team like the Spurs, and made even more important if we have another long road to the finals through Miami and/or Indy.

I don't know if Joe is ready to give up on DMC this year unless we could put a package together to get someone like KG. But I don't think anyone outside of our starting 5 should be buying any real estate in the detroit area any time soon.
  11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

post game stuff updated in the second post of this thread.
  12. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Great games from our starters except Sheed, man he mailed this one in tonight. Rip and Tay had great games but Ben had an extremely good game, quiet as kept.

Arroyo was good tonight, very impressive. Dyess may have finally turned the corner in the 2nd half, as he hit a few J's tonight......SWWEEEEET.

This bench needs an aggressive player at the wing position, I mean a cat that will attack with no conscience, like a Jamal Crawford, we could even sacrifice some defense for this type of player, dare I say........Call Spree:confused:??!!??

Dale Davis is going to be a saving grace come playoff time,and will make Joe look like a genius.

Right now I would trade DMC+Delfino for Al Harrington and sign Spree. We won't be able to afford DMC on the open market with Ben's new contract,Tay's new contract, & Chauncey opting out of his last year, meaning we'll have to pay him a year sooner. By then maybe JMax andAJ will start to bring it and Tay and Rip will still be the primary scorers.
  13. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

KGREG, I agree that some wild man off the bench like Spree :eyebrows: would be a lift to this "who's going to step it up bench".:frusty: Right now, we are winging it with a bench that has no identity because they have yet to show that they can win a game for us. Can somebody go back and check the box scores to see if our bench has scored more than 25 points in any game this season. :confused:

Adding Harrington and Spree could create some ego problems and headaches, but if Spree is still watching games from home in February and Harrington's team is still in the cellar, then I say go for it as both should be hungry and frustrated enough to play by the rules and not disrupt the chemistry. I can see 25-30 points a night from them where is I am willing to bet anyone in this forum that we won't see more than 15 a night from Darko and Delfino combined the rest of the season if that many.!:doh:
  14. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

tonight is just a bad game for darko. with any player just learning the nba game he will have good games and he will have bad games. he shouldn't get shipped out of town after every bad game. what about the game when he had about 4 blocks in a few minutes. how come you didn't take that as an indication of what to expect from him. darko is basically a rookie he has no game time experience to speak of. look at ben gordon he sucked at first for chicago but he found his way. darko is trying to find his way 5 minutes at a time.

darko isn't complaining about lack of playing time. he was complaining about when he is playing. flip is proving that playing darko doesn't lose you any games. flip should notice as darko's playing time went down his performance went down. darko should be getting consistent minutes like he was in the preseason if flip expects consistent results.
  15. Pastor Flournoy

Pastor Flournoy First Round Draft Pick

I say we trade Darko and CD for Josh Smith and Josh Childress. Atlanta is dumb enough to make that move.
  16. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

observations from being at the game...

the boo birds were the first ones to see larry, then there were claps, and overall it was about 50/50. a lot of people gave larry a standing ovation when the players went over and hugged him. unfortunately he didn't do his signature 1 or 2-handed arm flick of digust when unhappy with a refs call...was waiting all game for that. but his post-game press conference had a lot of 'specials' and 'neat' and 'great' and 'huge' words thrown in there which made up for it.

the crowd was DEAD, moreso than most of the regular season games i've gone to. i think a lot of people got tickets who aren't huge fans, just wanted to be there because it was supposed to be a big deal. people weren't even making noise when the knicks were FT-shooting, which is rare. the crowd made some noise toward the end of the 3rd (btw WOW holding the knicks to 8 points), but the 4th started and you could hear a pin drop. when the knicks started coming back...normally that's fan time to give the team a boost, but instead people were heading for the exits. i truly believe if the crowd stayed into it a little longer that we wouldn't have given up that lead.

as for the game...

- darko didn't look very good but wasn't given much of a chance.
    - i dunno why delfino is not given a shot, i can understand why flip likes TP on the floor so much but c'mon let's see what delfino can do.
    - marbury thinks he's allen iverson with driving the lane, etc., but clearly he's not.
    - channing frye is a BIG man, and he's got some game. he got a lot of offensive rebounds that ben normally would have gotten, although i will say the sore legs were noticeable for ben.
    - as soon as mcdyess drove the lane (didn't shoot, passed the ball), he hit 2 jumpers in a row. he should keep that trend up of going to the hole first.
    - dale davis is going to be huge come playoff time. when he was in he showed the knicks' rookie bigs what it's all about, preventing 4 straight consecutive shots from going in in the span of about 20 seconds.
    - one of the refs was absolutely atrocious tonight; young kid lookin like he wanted to be the star of the floor
    - i wanna see jmax play in these situations, against the newer players in the league, and show what he's made of.
    - go pistons!!!!
  17. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

also, the isiah tribute stuff was really somethin, awesome to be a part of. and carlos arroyo did very well today, i remember tellin my friend in the 3rd/4th that i hadn't even noticed any dropoff w/out chauncey running the point. he didn't get any friendly calls from the officials though lol.
  18. 1989

1989 First Round Draft Pick

It's happened three times. Against Philly the bench scored 29. Against the Raps the bench scored 42 (!) and against the Nuggets, 43!

The boxscores:

76ers boxscore

Raptors boxscore

Nuggets boxscore

If you're curious, the most futile effort by our bench was against the Nets, when they managed all of 6 points. :P

The evidence:

Nets boxscore
  19. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

3rd vs. 4th

The Knicks had a lb scoring drought in the 3rd that or the piston d showed up i can’t decide which but holding the Knicks to 8 points in the 3rd quarter was big. I know I should be happy as hell with how they shut them down but what happened to us in the 4th. We were up by 19 and the only sub that went in was Dyess for sheed and we blew that lead down to what 6 or less. 6 turnovers or Billups that is not like him at all and 3 came in the 4th I don’t know why other bench guys did not get in with that kind of lead imo that’s messed up but to blow that kind of lead sucked. I think the Pistons backed off so they would not make lb look bad, but why?
    I bet Ben was pissed that the rook Ariza dunked on him the Knicks were acting like they won the game after that. If Ben is healthy I say he throws it back in the rooks face. 12-2 great start and 40 for rip he might not make the all-star team but he deserves it if he keeps playing at this level.
  20. Darth Tater

I hate Spree, but I was thinking the same thing. That tells you how concerned about the bench I am right now. Maybe that will change with time.

I hope you're right about Davis.