Detroit @ Sacramento Nov 8 10:30PM

Discussion in 'November 2006' started by max, Nov 7, 2006.

1. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

Statistically speaking, we should get torched by both Mo EVans and and Smush in the laker game friday.

2. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

oops, forgot to add that artest abused tayshaun.

3. KP

KP First Round Draft Pick

A lot being said about our poor offense and shooting. How about the fact that we gave up a 60 point second half to our opponent? Our offense isn't good enough to overcome that on a regular basis.

We started the game slowly (again), but recovered and had it tied at halftime. Then we come out and give up 32 and 28 in the third and fourth quarters? We can't win like that.

Is our defense really this bad? Does Saunders (and McCosky) really think that we'll be okay if we just hit a few more shots?

4. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

My concern is that this type of play (lack of offense (turnovers with poor shooting) followed by spotty defense goes back to last year's playoffs. Sometimes we even have trouble making the initial entry pass. Normally, early season games are a joke--not to get too worked up about one way or the other.

Another concern is the team's lack of direction. They looked lost out there at times. Disinterested is one thing but lost is another. There is too much experience and talent on this team for such play to continue for too long.

A third concern is that our players often seem to not have defined roles especially tay and sheed on the offense.

Finally, when I see a player do the same thing over and over against us and we don't seem to make an adjustment, I do start to wonder...

5. Jackattaq

Jackattaq First Round Draft Pick

Yes, I really believe that Flip is that stupid, he thinks you can OUTSCORE everyone. Well, perimeter based teams don't win CONSISTENTLY or in the playoffs. Our best postup player (Maxiel) is struggling to get minutes DESPITE GREAT PLAY and NUMBERS. Why does Dice "deserve" minutes? Is Dice earning them? Definately NOT OVER MAXIEL if you go by the numbers. I'm so sick of Flip's offensive philosophy and his lack of defensive gameplanning. (does he have a defensive gameplan?)

The only way this team gets better is WITHOUT Flip at the helm.

6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Unless you go by +/- numbers, which show that Dyess is the most valuable player on the team through 5 games. JMax is 2nd. They are both playing well.

7. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

I think the "Big Nasty" is still mad at us for dumping him.

8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Corliss was one of my favorites. I couldn't believe we let him go.

9. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Two things that caught my attention and maybe some people can elaborate or clarify this for me. Delfino on the ball is pretty solid. On denying...pretty good. Spacing and decision making on switching...brutal. At least two times in a screen roll type situation he left the lane open to a driving opponent to cover the other guy. It left a huge hole that led to easy buckets or an and 1 situation. So what is it? His team defense basically sucks? Or is it a lack of defensive drilling?

The other thing was late in the game Tayshaun backing down into the basket on the low block. 2 times he draws 3 defenders...nobody cuts and nobody is even in a clear passing lane. He gets blocked twice and bricks once. I don't understand that series. tay backs down with 4 guys on the perimeter. 3 defenders collapse...nobody moves, tay gets blocked. Next time they do it again. You can see the 3 sac defenders cheating on Tay from his first dribble. They know what is coming. The spacing made it essentially 1 on 4 and we got the short end. Is this part of the playbook? It sucks! There were no passing lanes even if he could pass it out of the triple team. Why did we go to it again and again?

10. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

I said I d withhold judgement until Game 10, so I'll only be 'half-brutal' as I would be....
    1. We have 4 players that are too damn cocky 'still'! Tay, CB, Rip and Sheed. There is too much standing around, no diving , no penetration, no power. Sheed took 9 jumpers for Petes sake.

2. Sheed must go. I am tired of his walking timebomb act. I cant believe we sacrificed Mike James and Memo for his contract. For Ben (who we dont have) Sheed (who is a no show) and Tay ( who has a soft bum) we gave up Wade, Bosh or Anthony; Nasty, Memo, James and Darko; and the abilityn to trade for a KG if we kept some guys and traded others.
    I mean does anyone still think IN THE LONG RUN, that Tay will have a better career than Melo or Bosh? That Darko and Memo could be better than Sheed? Signing Mo Evans or Dyess when we could have kept Nasty and /or James...?

3. Nothing I hate more than lack of execution and desire to hustle. We have one guy playing HARD...J_Max!!!Everyone else is in slow motion.What the hell is wrong with Dyess? And I TOLD YALL BOUT FLIP II!!This is a .500 team now cause even if we go 34-7 at home ,I only see us as a 15-26 team on the road,,,I guess thATS49-33, huh?

4. I hate the Flips!

11. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I feeeeeelllll the FIRE!!!
    :flame:

12. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

Sheeds shot chart
    ESPN.com - NBA - 261108023 - Detroit at Sacramento (261108023)

It isnt like he took all 3 pointers all night. I just dont see how Flip lets him not score at all. Run an oop for him or something keep him interested in the game. I get that he is picking up his rebounding to make up for the loss of Ben but I want the Sheed who calls glass and laughs at the other team cuz he is abusing them rather than this one! Hell get 8 boards and drop 18 points and we win by 5.

13. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I liked what Sheed has been doing besides the first game. Yesterday the whole front line played bad. At least Sheed got boards. So far Sheed has been averaging a double double, and I expect his scoring to go up.

14. himat

himat Bench Warmer

He dropped 25 and 12 on Utah. He's going to do good. The Pistons just sucked last night, and it needs to end. They are not trying hard and that is what is irritating. If a guy loses even though he gives it everything he's got then it's not a big deal.

15. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

He made one mistake. The other time was miscommunication. Go check your tape. Compared to most players, Delfino is a saint on defensive rotations. Every player makes mistakes though.

16. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

DQ, although I am not ready to thrown in the towel yet on Sheed yet, your other comments were something that we tossed around 3 years ago before and during that championship run and everyone discounted them. If anybody thinks now that Tay will be better than Melo or Bosh, then they must be a relative or close family friend. He has not improved and is still as passive as he was during the 04-05 season. Agree that hindsight is 20-20, but those reserves of Memo, Mike J and McNasty was probably the best thing that we had in getting that ring that we have come up short the last two seasons. I know MJ wanted more money and PT, but I am wondering if keeping Corliss and memo would have been a better deal ring wise then sticking with Sheed who may have peeked during that chanpionship season!! Just a thought....:sssh:

17. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Luke on Tay:

The coach told the players to take it down low--a last desperate move to win the game. Sac was ready for Tay and blocked the shot. If he does it at another time in the game, he gets an easy look. If he does it as part of our core offense with cutters, etc. as you say, it creates open looks.

As I pointed out above, Tay has no real defined role in the offense. Neither does Sheed. The players are only at fault up to a point...

18. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

We use Sheed all over the court. That is what I feel is bringing about such offensive inconsistency. We need to define his offensive role--like you will be getting the ball here or here or maybe there.

I think what we are seeing is a weak offensive scheme combined with a lack of focus on defense with the team's direction. Flip's strength was supposed to be his offense versus Larry.

Larry was a dinosaur in his offensive philosophy but at least he was consistent. He would pound the ball in, over and over. It worked most of the time. Can you imagine what Larry would be doing with Maxiel??

I always thought Larry should have coached Shaq.

19. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

It does seem like for the first time since at least before Carlisle, that the team doesn't really know who it is or have a specific approach.

I know it is early but considering the amount of coaching experience on this bench, one would think the team would show more structure and discipline.

20. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I don't think he has had the opportunity to play in any kind of consistent system.

He made some really bizarre mistakes in this game. That one where he left his man as the shooter came baseline was super weird.

His man defense is good but Flip don't play that.

Delf's been impressive so far. Not good enough to start, but certainly no longer a bum.