Detroit playing small ball....again (allegedly)

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Pwn Toney, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

From today's Detnews:

Small ball
    Saunders likes the budding chemistry between Chauncey Billups , Flip Murray , Rip Hamilton , Tayshaun Prince and Rasheed Wallace .
    "When they've played at times, they've been good -- very good ," Saunders said. "I think Flip brings a different dimension, where you can go small and do some different things.
    "That's one of the nice things about his addition to the team."

Link: Pistons' weak effort means tough practice - 10/24/06 - The Detroit News Online

----------------

Now, I trust those of you who lambasted Mr. Brown for his use of "small ball" will be equally as irritated and upset with this coach's direction.

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I think Larry's small ball approach upset the Darkonites who would rather he play some big ball with Darko.

I'm fine with small ball. Just win baby. Nice to see Flip beating the crap out of the team in practice. The starters should be ashamed of the effort they put out on Monday.

3. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Unfortunately, that was one of the games I wasn't getting on DTV...but, hopefully tonight's game is televised

4. max

max All-Star

One of the things I was concerned about was when Flip said a while back that he may play Prince some at PF.

5. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Small ball is fine IF you have the personel. Phoneix plays great small ball. Small ball is not fine when you are using Darvin Hamm at power forward.

This team does have the talent to play limited small ball with 2-4 lineups including Flip, Rip, Tay, Delfino, and JMax. I think Flip, Delfino and JMax works against 2nd units (and yes its small, Delfino is the tallest of the three), and Flip/Delfino, Rip and Tay might do well against certain 1st units.

6. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

I didn't like small ball under LB, and it had nothing to do with Ham or Darko. Speaking of Ham; he played with a warrior mentality that our current bench guys would do well to emulate. Jumper or no jumper. My issue with LB's version of small ball is his boneheaded insistance on playing Big Nasty at the 4.

LB didn't know what to do with multiple good big men. Maybe that's something he never had before. He couldn't find time for EC much less Darko. Furthermore, why would you play small ball with five GOOD (er...4 1/2) big men on the squad? LB seemed to use the "matchup" approach rather than the "mismatch" approach.

I like FlipS's version of small ball even less. I understand it; but I don't like it. We really don't have the squad for anything else. As long as we have to keep a Dupree/Evans around to push Delfino, we will have too many wing players and not enough halfway legit big men. Even so, I'd feel much better if FlipS gave any "small-ball power-forward" minutes to one of the young guys as opposed to Prince.

7. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Flip likes shooters-red hot shooters. But we know how scatter shot that can be.
    Get used to it cause there aint gonna be no D.
    Two year coaching stint?