Detroit Pistons: the 2012-13 season

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by BillLaimbeer, May 20, 2012.

1. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

I doubt he has positive trade value but his new contract was signed after the new CBA was agreed so it's not possible to use it to get rid of him.
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I could see an immature playoff team without a superstar SF coveting him. He's reliable, versatile, plays both ends of the floor, and is a student of the game/ coach on the floor.

His contract really is pretty much in line with his production right now. The problem is that in the final year of his contract, he'll still be making the same amount and he'll be 35. So, IMO, it is the length of the contract in comparison to his age rather than the annual amount that presents a challenge. Prince's durability should help a bit.

I'm starting to backtrack a bit...
  3. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

4. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Beasley overview:
    Very athletic and strong... Gifted offensive player... Can score from almost anywhere... Especially effective near the basket... Doesn't pass the ball much... Bad defensive player... Mediocre rebounder considering his size and athleticism... Focused enough?
  5. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

If we sign Beasley, all that talk about 'high character guys' is BS. All that talk about surrounding Drummond with role models is just lip service. What next? trade for the birdman? I good environment is made up of its parts not the other way around.

The dude is a tweener. I wouldn't get Derrick Williams unless we had a massive talent shortfall.

My assumption is Detroit was interested and looked under the hood because they have a responsibility to do so.
  6. Slippy

I agree...with the first part. Also, Tay is not super reliant on athleticism. The thing is, you need to pay a guy his due at the end of his contract for his contributions now. This is normal and for a playoff team, you invest and get over the hump. For teams at the bottom looking up, its more of an issue because the returns (playoff success) are not there to offset the end of contract downturn.
  7. pass99

It's only language and a corrupted one at that. It's all comes down to being-values and relationships (Maslow). A good environment is one that has a field thinking approach (Kurt Lewin), where all proportions of extensions are related to the whole.

The Pistons were looking under the hood because their century old model was steaming vapors coming from the hood. And professional basketball players all know, that in the end, it was good to be given the ability to escape that hood.
  8. Slippy

I agree with the first part. Also, I have my prejudices. I like tall guys so take that with a grain o' salt. When hiring chumps for my work place, we set all the guys with the requisite skills up with interviews and the best character gets the job. We never compete with another IT dept. so we never have to choose between character and talent. That's my background. I rather root for prince than Beasley. Hell I'll root for Middleton over Beasley.
    I was a Darko supporter for a long time until I determined his character. Then I lost interest. He may be more talented than all our guys but wouldn't go for it. The billups miracle isn't about transforming a bad seed as much as its giving a good seed someplace to grow.
  9. pass99

I always like to reference my quote. Just can't be simplicity, even if you have to repeat yourself. I've spent the last 15 years in IT and this can not be over-emphasized. It can become a nasty habit picked up by others and then others and then others. Be care about technology, it clones hierarchy. Language likes to tag along, because it likes to be on the right side of mountain building.

Wow! Lot of levels on that one.
  10. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

So Tay still has good character?
  11. Slippy

Yes. Prince was re-signed to be a leader at the behest of coach Frank while Beasly was traded and traded and then cut. Regardless of my opinion of Tay, the organization felt he had value. Beasley on the other hand...
  12. BallDon'tLie

This writer needs to lay off the Bath Salts if he thinks that there is a NBA GM who would be willing to part with a 1st rounder for either of these guys.

I wonder how much Joe will offer Bynum and Maxiel to stay in Detroit?
  13. BallDon'tLie

Re-signing Tay to "lead" the team makes that transaction prior to last season even more puzzling. Tay used to have my absolute respect as a Piston. As a "glue-guy" and a "coach on the floor", I always thought that Tay should have worn the "C" for the Pistons.
    ...until the last couple of years (from toward the end of Flip through Kuester).

Constant bickering with Coaches (yes... lousy coaches!) and his participation in "Shootaround Gate" sealed the deal for me. I thought Tayshaun was better than that but I was wrong. I'll always appreciate what he did with the "goin to work" teams. I don't appreciate his play and behavior during the post-"going to work" era.
  14. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

JD has always viewed his choices (players) through rose colored glasses.
    Look at what he did for the departing Billups.
    Trading Hamilton to Chicago.............
    Signing Tay to a loooooooooong term deal.
    Bringing Ben back after he left...........
  15. Slippy

I see where you are coming from. I was looking at the whole thing from a Beasley stand point. There's a contradiction. You draft 'high character guys' (even Walter Sharpe!) and you sign question marks. Anyway, I totally agree with you on Tay.
  16. BallDon'tLie

...And I agree with you on Beasley. :cheers:
  17. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Bringing back Ben after he left was one of the better moves Joe did. There was NOBODY in the league that could provide the defensive presence he still could for the price he was paid.

I don't think Prince has character issues. To suggest that is pure buffoonery.

The thing I cannot stand with Prince is the palming and posting-up at the 3pt line.
    brofmfa and BallDon'tLie like this.
  18. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I am down with Beasely. Winning teams aren't loaded with saints.

Tay has a very low ceiling these days. He'll go on a great 5 game run once a season, but that's it. I don't think anyone believe he has more in the tank.

Anyone remember him posting up philly in 2003?
  19. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

You have to love Tay just for the posting up break through Philly series. Could he be shopped to teams like OKC as a LeBron stopper?
  20. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I'm pretty excited about this season. I feel like this ship is FINALLY sailing in the right direction; but it's like the basketball gods smiled on Joe for 3 straight years via the draft by allowing the BPA to fall inexplicably and to be EXACTLY who/what we needed. We have 3 excellent building blocks AND cap flexibility.