1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Detroit Pistons: the 2012-13 season

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by BillLaimbeer, May 20, 2012.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm guessing that we just don't need an impactful free agent until his contract matures anyways. No point in bringing in somebody too early... only result would be that we'd lose our first round draft pick next year because we'd sneak into the playoffs.

May as well keep Charlie around and continue to let Arnie torture him until he asks for a cheap buyout.

2. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I've never gotten that feeling from Joe.

Charlie is a forum irritant. In the NBA scheme of things he doesn't make that much money. Maybe it isn't worth it to use it on him?

How long is the amnesty good for?

coynejeremy likes this.
  3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The amnesty provision allows a team to waive a player and not have his salary count against the salary cap or luxury tax. The player will still receive his salary for the season.

Teams can use it once during the 10-year agreement, before any season, on a player whose contract already is done and who is on the team.

The designated player goes through a waiver process in which teams under the salary cap bid for him. His salary will be divided between his new team and old team, with the former likely picking up a substantial portion.

4. Ernie the Slow Adult

Thank you. I was familiar with the other parts, but did not know how long it was valid for.

I would like it if they shat canned CG because I do not like him, but keeping him at the end of the bench for 2 years does allow them to be aggressive when acquiring someone going forward.

5. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

It's only valid for contracts signed before the new CBA and I think I read somewhere it has to be used within 4 years. We are not able to use it on Prince or who ever Joe blows our future cap space on.

6. Ernie the Slow Adult

Hmmmm, interesting.......
    Pistons shouldn't feel pressured to get rid of Charlie Villanueva | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com

7. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

Yeah, I expect that they're pretty much done for the upcoming season, barring trades. The only long-term position the team needs is arguably small forward, but they have a boatload of backups and young guys behind Prince. I expect that they'll be content to ride out the season with the group they got.

That being said, according to Hoops Hype, the Pistons are over the cap. If that's the case I could see them waiving CV in order to not have to pay the luxury tax.

pass99 likes this.
  8. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

If this novice is correct... we will be over the salary cap after we sign our rookies and even use our MLE but we won't be over the tax number so were ok. If we cut CV it wouldn't put us far enough under the salary cap to pay more then the MLE anyways so from a money side of the game cutting him this summer would do us no good.

Now we can all agree him being off the team probably is a good thing from the team moving forward standpoint though.

9. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Why not just DND him every game like Klamar Odom?

10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I could imagine Charlie being a decent PF off the bench behind Maxiell this coming season. Good enough at least and he'll be a high scorer. Don't let his planking, his tweets, his injury riddled season in the doghouse, and his failure to make the PR team (without even trying out) affect your view of him. I read that he gained a lot of respect inside the organization last season due to his work ethic on his rehab and his overall work with Arnie.

May as well see what he can do when healthy this season before pulling the plug.

11. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

The 2 main advantages to using "the clause" on CG are:
    1. He'll no longer be a Detroit Piston and as a fan, I no longer have to even think about that scrub.
    2. If another team picks him up, whatever they pay him is money that Gores DOESN'T have to pay him. The cap relief is irrelevant due to the fact that it isn't going to be used until next summer anyway.

12. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Charlie's worth about $4m/yr buy him out for half his contract next season and allow him to make up the difference in free agency.

13. BallDon'tLie

What do you suggest we do with him THIS season?
    I REALLY don't every want to see him in Pistons gear EVER again but that would be a decision based on based on my heart rather than my head.

I was thinking that Austin Daye might actually be the best candidate for the Amnesty clause.
    He'd be gone.
    He's young and would draw some interest.
    Another team would likely sign him and Gores wouldn't be on the hook for his whole contract.
    It would thin out the herd at SF.
    His agent would likely apperciate Joe giving Daye his freedom and work hard to get another team to pay a good sum for his services (saving the Pistons some cash)

14. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Daye is scheduled to make less than $3M this season, that's not case for amnesty, you just release him. CV......eh, I truly don't know. There's a part of me that feels showcasing him for a trade is the best move; but that would probably backfire.

15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

We really only had one bad contract and Joe just turned that into a shorter term bad contract by giving up a future 1st round pick (probably the year after next). We clearly aren't going to use the amnesty on Maggette as we'll just let it run off to build a FA warchest or we'll trade his contract if we find a player under contract that we want.

The only reason to use the amnesty on Villanueva is if we intend to sign a big FA in the next 2 seasons. If not, then we do just as well by letting his contract run its ugly course. A waiver would be just as good as an amnesty if Gores just wants to save money in the next 2 years and doesn't have a target. Once we sign a FA, the clock starts ticking on his contract and we obviously start paying them big bucks. So, there is a danger to doing it too early before the rest of the team is ready to capitalize on the new guys talents. My guess is that the FA targets that we desire are next year, not this year. We'll probably sit on Charlie and reserve the right to amnesty him later if needed.

I actually think that Prince has positive trade value and should not be considered.

Maxiell and the other contracts aren't enough to matter and they all seem to play relatively close to their contracts when they are given PT.

I see the amnesty as being most useful for teams that would find themselves in the Yao Ming type of jams with a monstrous long-term albatross of a contract and a player that isn't playing anywhere near it.

My guess is that we never use it. It would be interesting if the NBA/ CBA allowed for the trading or sale of the amnesty. It probably wouldn't be worth very much.

Walter and KGREG like this.
  16. BallDon'tLie

I believe that you're right. It probably won't get used. (I think that it SHOULD get used on CV though. It's just embarassing having him listed on the roster.)

My thought on Daye is that he's NOT gonna see the floor this year.
    Rather than DNPCD him all year, make an under the table deal with his agent to make him disappear from the Pistons' roster. He'd likely get picked up by some other team which would get Gores off the hook for paying his contract and free up a salary/roster spot for a pass-first back-up PG or additional PF/C depth.

This would actually be a "favor" to Daye & his agent while helping the Pistons become more liquid.

17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm not fully willing to give up on Daye yet. He did dedicate all of last season to that insane push up routine (which is pretty extreme). Not coincidentally, his shooting percentage plummeted to one of the worst in Pistons' history. This is from a guy with a pure stroke.

If his shooting percentage still stinks this year, then he is basically worthless as an NBA player. But I want to see him get some regular minutes, even if limited, and see how his shooting looks. This is a guy who was inserted into the game to hit game winners only a short time ago.

18. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
  19. BallDon'tLie

I'm not giving up on Daye either.
    I strongly believe that he has what it takes to move in front of Jonas, Singler, Tayshaun, Maggette and Middleton on the depth chart. Heck, if Joe decides to add Mike Beasley, I'm still in a "buy" mode regarding Daye.

20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Beasley did play about twice as much at PF as SF last year. But he was much more effective as a SF (about breakeven in terms of net production). He was a negative at the PF, which is not surprising.

This is very similar to Jerebko, who played 3 times as much at PF, but who was more effective at SF.