Detroit Pistons: the 2012-13 season

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by BillLaimbeer, May 20, 2012.

1. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Honestly, if this article had been about Greg Monroe/Brandon Knight, I'd be far happier. But the thing is, we've heard this tripe from RS before; it's never amounted to anything more than lip service. Even then, I'd have been much more inclined to believe him if he didn't mentally go on vacation two weeks earlier than everyone else. That's just not something a leader does, and I'm just not convinced Stuck has what it takes to lead.
    That Greg Monroe quote in my sig? That's what I believe in - don't talk about it, just do it.

S.J. and pass99 like this.
  2. del

del Bench Warmer Forum Donor

All good mate, I can certainly understand where everyone is coming from.

I have always been an optomist and even more so with my sporting teams - which at times can also make me naive (this would probably explain me being a reserved Stuckey supporter too). Add to this that my optimisim for the talent in my Aussie Rules team has paid off recently as they have gone from their worst finish ever (14th) to their best start to a season ever (7-1). Completely different games and talent base to start with, but it has made me overly positive haha.

Just expect me to challenge you all to look on the bright side occasionally ;)

Walter, BallDon'tLie and coynejeremy like this.
  3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It looks like you cannot require training camp to begin more than 29 days before your team's first game.

https://www2.bc.edu/~yen/Sports/NBA%20CBA.pdf

4. BillLaimbeer

Back to the original article....the fact that our little Super Collider is trying to be a leader is great, in my opinion. Whether it comes to fruition or not, only time will tell.

5. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I don't think that we're talking about team sanctioned practices.
    This is just a case of a bunch of guys getting together to work on some things on their own - under the tutelage of Rodney Stuckey.

I expect all of our guys to come back next year having mastered the art of dribbling with their heads down into the teeth of the defense. Expect the number of charging fouls called on the Pistons to increase significantly next season.

pass99 likes this.
  6. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

Bill's comment came though from somebody wanting a list of when practices would be and what they would be doing.... thus team sanctioned. Stuckey has to show it not say it at this point though.... he's talked abit to much and not backed it up for me to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I'm looking forward to see how summer league goes with knight.... remember a young PG with no real practice started for us, want to see how hard he wants to work to being a real PG for us going forward.

pass99 and BillLaimbeer like this.
  7. BallDon'tLie

I'm stoked to watch the LVSL as well.
    Based on everything that we're told, I'm not concerned at all about BK working hard to become a legit PG. I just hope that he gets the right instruction.

8. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

We'll lead the league in fouling out of the game on offensive fouls alone.

9. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Looks like Greg's signed up for Rodney camp. Remember reading a tweet by someone about going jogging with Greg and Stuck a day or so ago. CV tweeted something about boxing and heading to the sauna too. Brandon's apparently been in the gym; same for Jonas.
    Oh yeah, Coach Frank was at the recently concluded Nets combine too.

10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Zeke and Laimbeer would practice together in the offseason, IIRC Zeke told Laimbeer he needed to get some post moves.

I have been as tough on Stuckey as anyone, but he is a veteran on this team now, and it isn't like Tayflower is going to rah rah or organize any extra practices.

11. BallDon'tLie

I'd have been more stoked to see Brandon Knight step-up get team together for a summer camp. Yes he's young but so was Isiah when he took the helm (not comparing BK to Zeke).
    I don't think Tay really cares anymore and I can't really get my head around the idea of Rodney Stuckey being a leader of men.

12. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I think it's great that Greg Oden decided to try out for the pistons in this manner. Lots of props to him...

13. BillLaimbeer

You need to go back to your vacation. :)

14. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Ok, for those who want details on what the guys are working on this summer, KL tweeted that Brandon was testing out Arnie's newest contraption made of pvc pipes designed to help improve ball handling (an aspect of his game some here have said needs improvement) and also pointed out that they've put a big emphasis on it. He is also apparently working on passing on the pick and roll with Steve Hetzel.
    Chad Ford mentioned that Austin participated in a 4 on 4 against a team that included Terrence Ross and Arnett Moultrie.

The Panda and roscoe36 like this.
  15. Nemo

Lots of good feelings here as I think the Pistons could finish around .500 this coming season.
    I do expect to see a lot of positive press, but possibly the team could really make some strides this season.
    Having another new coach installed without player revolt or rebellion certainly is uplifting.
    Still, a lot of things have to go right to really see a playoff contender.
    Like it or not....Stuckey is a key player, at least for the near future.

16. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

this team is so far away from being a contender that a playoff spot would actually hurt - it needs 2,3 more good drafts with high picks and a playoff spot would prevent exactly that. Sad to say, but being around .500 would actually have a negative effect on the long run. I wonder if Monroe would like to stay with a team that can offer no perspectives but a first round exit?

BallDon'tLie likes this.
  17. BillLaimbeer

There is definitely some truth to that. Teams sometimes need to REALLY bottom out, grab that franchise player, then start the ascent back up again. I think the Pistons have bottomed out, but are stuck around the 8th to 10th worst team plateau. We need a creative GM to pull us out of the mud.

BallDon'tLie likes this.
  18. Nemo

Excellent response, and right on target. I made my points because I really try to balance out my negativity, but your post is better.

19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Maybe Joe can start making meaningful trades like he did when he took the job. The NBA owned hornets had their hands tired and were still trading.

20. BillLaimbeer

I think Joe Dumards' hands are tired from his Blackberry.