1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Detroit Pistons: the 2012-13 season

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by BillLaimbeer, May 20, 2012.

1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Encouraging words from Rodney:

Taking Charge | THE OFFICIAL SITE OF THE DETROIT PISTONS

2. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

There are always stories that get you excited about next season but this one really resonated with me. He's shown it throughout the season so its not just talk.

3. max

max All-Star

I would be so disappointed if we started the season with what we had last year plus a draft pick.

Stuckey will be starting his 6th season and will be turning 27, last year he avg 14.8 PPG and 3.8APG . He is 13.8 PPG for his career.

4. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Sorry, guys, I'm having trouble getting excited about the annual season-ticket-sales-push-articles from the Pistons we've come to see in recent years.

BallDon'tLie likes this.
  5. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

So those guys will only have 4 months off of instead of 5? That's conviction.

6. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

I find it difficult it difficult to get excited about a season where the chances are that Vanillawafer will actually play.

Hasn't he been sleeping lately?

7. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I'm hoping Austin Daye continues doing pushups throughout the off season.

8. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

The Pistons don't need extra practice and offseason work.
    They need extra players and offseason roster changes.

TWOTIMESRALPHI and Woody like this.
  9. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Pre-season hype does nothing for this fan, when it comes with a team that's been losing.

I just don't like the team being referred to as THE LOWLY PISTONS in the national press.

10. BallDon'tLie

Agreed.
    I think Joe should take this personally and take measures to combat this perception.

S.J. and Woody like this.
  11. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

I don't know why but this reminds me of that articlce before the season began, that said something like "Charlie V's body changes" Like if he was adding muscle or something.. and the only change that we saw was that he was a littel tanned, looks kinda like shaq, retirement shaq.

My mind is on the draft, not in this.

linwood and coynejeremy like this.
  12. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

That added muscle was really hard on CV during his resting sessions.

BallDon'tLie likes this.
  13. del

del Team Captain Forum Donor

I'm not trying to get on everyone's case here, but why all the negativity? Maybe I haven't been following them as long and I understand we have had some bad years, but it seems the glass is always half empty on this board.

Sure Rodney saying all this doesn't change anything. Even if him and an unchanged team do follow up on the words and get together earlier it wont mean they are still playing at this time next year.

Sure we have some bad contracts and a poor trading position. But this was all present in the previous few season and then....

We have just come off a promising and improving season.
    We played some damn good basketball against good opposition.
    We did this with some key learning pieces and bit players.
    We have a decent chance of another good draft piece in a deep draft.
    We have a good coach.
    We have a dedicated owner.

We aren't going to become better overnight, after the draft, or probably even straight after the necessary trades. But this sort of stance from Stuckey (and hopefully the team) is a positive - it builds the current key pieces, it creates an environment trade pieces want to be a part of. Hell, it may even help consolidate that jump shot Stuck was finally finding his rhythm on.

In short, we are a few seasons short of any big changes. This is a positive statement (regardless of the spin put on it) and just another step in the right direction.

14. BallDon'tLie

I remember reading about how Chucky Garbage was putting in the work during the 2010 offseason. I expected to see a pic of him all ripped and in-shape after that. I couldn't see any difference at all that fall. I'm not convinced that he didn't just hang at the crib eating Funyuns and watching reruns of Cash Cab all summer. It sure as hell didn't translate to his game.

I hope people aren't running out to score some season tickets just because "Camp Stuckey" is goin down this Summer. The whole subtext that "Rodney Stuckey has evolved into a veteran leader" is completely hillarious to me. The fact that the Piston PR people are attempting to even try that angle is insulting to me. I absolutely DO NOT want the likes of Monroe, Knight and the 2012 draftees looking to Rodney freaking Stuckey for any kind of leadership.

Stuck needs to stay in the sauna and leave the leading to leaders.

S.J. and alexa032 like this.
  15. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

The downside of this plan is that the true leaders of this team either just resigned, left for Madrid or showed up at Benni G:s birthday party in a hoodie looking like a 14-year old kid.

alexa032 and BallDon'tLie like this.
  16. BallDon'tLie

Sorry to be a downer del.
    The Pistons are my tribe. I'm with 'em in sickness and in health and I want success for this team as much as a fan can want success for his favorite team. I criticize because I care.

I think that the previous successes and the rapid decline of the team has made a lot of us (myself included) a bit miffed. Yes,we have a couple of bright spots and for that I'm thankful. But overall, the direction of this team (what direction really) is going nowhere fast. Without some wholesale changes to the salary structure, the Detroit Pistons are destined to be below average for at least 2 - 4 more seasons.

Until I see some strides in the right direction and a plan moving forward, I'll continue to voice my displeasure. I'm thankful to have this board to vent and express these views. I'll try and ballance my comments a bit and be positive where it's called for. I definately don't want to infect this forum with negativity. ...It's hard sometimes though.

I'm happy that the Stuckey is talking about getting the guys together to work out in the offseason. I view this as positive but I'm not gonna get stoked about it. The way I view it, this team is playing 2 months less than they should be by not making a deep run in the playoffs. I EXPECT them to get together in the summer and work on their games. I would be completely pissed-off if they didn't!

The sad reality is that it isn't really going to help. This team could work all day every day and they STILL don't have players with enough potential to improve. Aside from Knight, Monroe and maybe Jonas, we are who we are and that's who we'll be until the cap situation is taken care of and we can bring in some new blood.

Go Pistons!

S.J. likes this.
  17. Walter

It is hard to be not cynical when you read articles such as this one. Rodney's not leading anyone, and the whole thing is a mediocre attempt at ticket sales PR. I would be more positive if Dumars and/or Frank actually announced a detailed training & practice schedule over the summer with clearly stated goals. This whole "yeah, a bunch of us guys are gonna get together and shoot some hoops" idea does nothing for me.

At the moment, I'm looking forward to seeing what Lawrence Frank will be able to do with these guys next year. A good coach that focuses on good execution can make all the players on the team better by utilizing them effectively as a team. The other Larry we had was great at this, thus the '04 ship. Pops excels at this as well and so did Sloan. I'm hoping that Frank will be able to muster some of that magic next year.

I've been hopeful about our future for this past year (despite the 4-20 start), and I'll try to keep a more positive attitude. It's just hard when buffoons on the roster severely outnumber the players I actually like.

S.J., alexa032, linwood and 2 others like this.
  18. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Is it even allowed by the CBA to hold required practices during the off-season?

round likes this.
  19. max

max All-Star

I think there are a lot of legitimate complaints for Piston fans these days. Especially that sale - it took forever. And when it finally was settled and they could make moves again all they did was sign their own players.

This isn't the kind of league for incremental slow improvement ever year. You will never keep your team together long enough. Contracts are too short and better opportunities are always there for promising young players. You have to swing for the fences and take a few risks. No risk no reward. No more of this conservative BS. I would like to see JD go back to the 2002 model that worked.

20. Walter

That's a good question, and I just don't know. But some teams start their training camp earlier than others, so I guess there's some flexibility. Who knows?