Detroit Draft Talk

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by G-man, May 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G-man

G-man Starter

Draft Wizardry(the Igor chronicles)

Dr. FrankenPiston, aka, (Joe Dumars) little squirrel cage is spinning in 3rd gear. He has four picks in next months draft, the 15,36,39 & 44. In my mind, pretty much the equivalent of sitting at a poker table with a pair of Queens, Nine high.

Enter Dr. FrankenPiston’s ether-net assistants. These are the "Igors", the 2009 mock draft shamans throwing the chicken bones on the floor to produce a manifestation. Let’s see who they’re conjuring up this week……. :stirthepot:
    (4 picked at random)

Draft Net
    #15 James Johnson SF
    http://www.nbadraft.net/players/james-johnson
    #36 Dante Cunningham SF
    http://www.nbadraft.net/players/dante-cunningham
    #39 Jeff Pendergraph PF
    http://www.nbadraft.net/players/jeff-pendergraph
    #44 Jerel McNeal SG
    http://www.nbadraft.net/players/jerel-mcneal

Draft Express
    #15 DeJuan Blair PF
    http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/DeJuan-Blair-5049/
    #36 Toney Douglas PG/SG
    http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Toney-Douglas-1231/
    #39 Rodrigue Beaubois PG
    http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Rodrigue-Beaubois-1298/
    #44 AJ Price PG
    http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/A.J.-Price-68/

The Hoops Report
    #15 Terrence Williams SF
    http://www.nbadraft.net/players/terrence-williams
    #36 Luke Harangody PF
    http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Luke-Harangody-5063/
    #39 Dante Cunningham SF
    #44 DaJuan Summers SF
    http://www.nbadraft.net/players/dajuan-summers

Pro Basketball News
    #15 James Johnson, PF
    #36 Wesley Matthews, SG
    http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Wesley-Matthews-5501/
    #39 Curtis Jerrells, PG
    http://www.nbadraft.net/players/curtis-jerrells
    #44 Dante Cunningham, SF

2 links to sites that summarize all of the different “basement Igors” working their magic…
    http://dcprosportsreport.com/mockdraftdatabase/nba.html
    http://walterfootball.com/nbadraftdata.php
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Jeff Pendergraph really sounds like a go-getter.
  3. KP

KP First Round Draft Pick

I think a lot of these sites just sort of rank players and drop them onto a draft grid without putting much thought into teams needs or priorites.

Having said that I still think we need to draft the best talent available. I see our biggest need at replenishing our stable of big men - so I'd lean that direction if there's any question regarding the most talented player.

It appears that this years draft is deepest at the point guard position. But we've already got more young talent at that position than any other. So it may be the last position Joe lookes to fortify with the first round pick. I certainly could see him snapping up a senior point guard with one of the second round picks.

I don't see Joe doing a complete overhaul (i.e. trading Rip or Tay). He's got plenty of moves he can make with just the draft picks and cap space.

The two things that he MUST accomplish this summer are adding a new productive big man, and a scorer. If he can add that with just one player, even better.
  4. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

They wouldn't unless their front office is completely inept.
  5. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

So is James Johnson a PF or SF? Draftnet says he's a 3 and Probasketball news says a 4??

He is 6'8 235 and Dejan Blair is 6'7 265 umm at 6'7 do we have another JMAX here??

Based on these two videos, Johnson appears to be most athletic and we are missing that these days...

YouTube - Wake Forest F James Johnson Highlights vs Clemson (3.8.09)

YouTube - Dejuan Blair Highlights
  6. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

You know you have the DNA to be a front-court player for the Pistons if people can't seem to agree what position you should play.
  7. G-man

G-man Starter

8. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

9. LA Dre

I will admit ~~~pretty impressive

Couple of questions, did Joe or his brain trust have any vids available to really evaluate Darko's potential or was it all urban legend and hearsay?

I only ask that question because I have to wonder who was the competition in these games Rubio was playing against?? Could have been the [strike]Washington[/strike] Barcelona Generals if you know what I mean:). The only other player I recognize on the floor was Pau Gasol and he was his team mate.

Also, are we sure this isn't Pistol Pete Maravich's illegitimate son?

Because Stern likes the international flair, Ricky can probably get away with the traveling and carrying that he has in his game now and the wow factor would be there too as both opposing players and his team mates might stop to watch his flash...
  10. G-man

G-man Starter

Good question, I think he was playing the Haarlem Snapdragons out of Amsterdam...

(Naw..not really :)

Kids been on the floor since he was a toddler.

YouTube - Ricky Rubio VS Pistol Pete Maravich

Dre, I've got a buddy here in NC that used to play intramural ball with Maravich. He's full of colorful stories about how they'd take guys for money on the playgrounds. He's in his early 60's and a bit crippled up today. He was signed in here for awhile he's a big Sheed fan. Read alot but didn't post much.

If I remember right the Darko saga was based on streetlight whispers and guys in overcoats. Plus, darko didn't speak any english which didn't help. I think the consensus was Joe bought on hype and I also think he got jobbed by some of the other GM's. He was still green behind the years...

This kid can speak and understand english.

He can score too.. YouTube - Ricky Rubio-Extreme Ways

At 14 (great move at 55 secs in)
    YouTube - 14æ‰ã®è¶…天æ‰ãƒã‚¹ã‚±å°‘å¹´ Ricky Rubio at 14 year old
  11. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Darko's reviews were mostly based on workouts. Not to bring up the DMC argument again, but physically, Darko has shown a lot of the hype, he's a quick agile 7 footer. It's the mental part that hasn't come together, and his outside shooting has regressed. But to answer your question, Darko played extremely limited international competion, and the teams he played on didn't play him much in games. Rubio has been playing at a high international level since he was 16.
  12. CarlosGallan

CarlosGallan First Round Draft Pick

Tomorrov Rubio team begin play off, i can let one link to follow box score,there are one internet tv link,but you can´t see if you aren´t from spain, european union laws. I let the web to follow the box score tomorrow if you want follow the game,but i think you are sleeping at this hour
    REAL MADRID - DKV JOVENTUT (La2)

Sábado 16/05/2009 18:15 h(spain hour)
    Difficult game for dkv,you can see in front of rubio,PG sergio llull and veteran raul lopez(played in utah jazz)
    Here tomorrowthere will be the link cliking "jornada virtual"
    ACB
    Ricky Rubio llega en plena forma al Playoff. Tras una portentosa actuación en la Jornada 34, busca las semifinales "en una eliminatoria especial" contra el Real Madrid. "Tengo muchas ganas y mi muñeca ya no me duele nada"

Todos los ojos estarán sobre Ricky Rubio en el Playoff, en las primeras eliminatorias por el título en las que ejercerá de líder del DKV Joventut. El joven verdinegro está completamente centrado y mentalizado ante el reto: “mi mente está sólo en el Playoff y tengo muchas ganas. Más adelante ya se verá lo que pasa, pero ahora sólo pienso en las eliminatorias”.

El base verdinegro llega el plena forma al Playoff, en su mejor momento de la temporada y tras firmar una exhibición en la Jornada 34 contra el Alta Gestión Fuenlabrada. En el Pabellón Fernando Martín firmó 16 puntos, 5 rebotes, 10 asistencias, 6 recuperaciones y 31 de valoración, remontando y ganando los títulos de asistencias y recuperaciones. “Estoy contento por ambos trofeos, pero cuando juegas no piensas en eso sino buscar la victoria para el equipo”, explica el base, que en Fuenlabrada perseguía “buenas sensaciones para el Playoff. Si venía todo lo demás, mucho mejor”. Y vino, ciertamente.

En el baloncesto hay que ser generoso”, apunta Ricky sobre el título de asistencias, alcanzado tras repartir un espectacular promedio de 6,1 pases por partido. “Un equipo funciona cuando todo el mundo está contento, así que aunque hay veces que tienes que tirar, otras has de asistir y hacer que tus compañeros estén bien”, asegura.

El partidazo de Fuenlabrada no hace sino confirmar el buen momento de Ricky Rubio, que ha acabado la temporada en un alto nivel. El base verdinegro ha firmado en la segunda vuelta 11,8 puntos, 3,1 rebotes, 6,2 asistencias, 2,6 recuperaciones y 16,1 de valoración en 24,8 minutos, confirmándose como el base con mejor valoración de la liga y ayudando al DKV Joventut a alcanzar la quinta posición.

Ricky es consciente de que está en su mejor momento de la temporada, listo para el gran baile que es el Playoff 2009. “La muñeca ya no me duele nada y físicamente me encuentro perfectamente”, dice, recordando que “cuando estás de baja un tiempo, cuesta, no es lo mismo correr fuera de la cancha que competir en ella, pero ya lo he superado”.

El primer escollo en el camino de Rubio es el Real Madrid, un rival “del que guardo muy buenos recuerdos. El año pasado después de la ULEB Cup fuimos a Madrid y ganamos en un partido muy bonito”. Tampoco olvida duelos pasados como “las semifinales de hace dos años, que nos ganaron en el quinto partido”. En todo caso, tiene claro que “son encuentros muy bonitos de jugar; el Real Madrid es un equipo grande pero le tenemos muchas ganas”.
  13. G-man

G-man Starter

14. LA Dre

Re: Solid Points

He looks good G-man. I am not sure if Joe would want to pick another guard at that high a pick since he still thinks highly of Stuckey...however since he has admitted that Stuck is a combo guard, he should consider it though if the guy is still on the board. That would mean he is considering a complete overhaul and would be possibly give this guy the keys and moving Stuck to the 2 and offering Rip for a decent Big in a trade and had another bonified scorer in mind to pick up on the FA market...

Another option would be that he goes for a frontcourt man at the 15 pick and try to sign Ramon Sessions, the pg in Milwaukee who is at least a proven commodity.

At this point we need a quick guard who can penetrate like Mr. Brooks did last night.
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Bynum. :bolt:
  16. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

we will trade tayshawn and the 15th pick for washington's possible #4 pick, mike james, nick young. We will then trade the #4 pick, Maxiell and Mike Jame's expiring contract to Toronto for Bosh. We will pick up Marion as a free agent. We will then trade nick young and a second round pick for the sixers thadeus young. We will pick up Milsap as well.
  17. detteam

detteam All-Star

18. G-man

G-man Starter

Bj Mullens? He's like a poormans Eric Montross! (yuk yuk yuk)
    His eyes are too damn close together for there to be much brain in his head. I question whether he has any b-ball smarts - he did play for Ohio..:0)

Dirty Money lays some serious tracks..
  19. G-man

G-man Starter

Hey Det. Unfortunately this looks like a terrible draft for bigs. There's only a handful even available and they all look like long term projects for one reason or another. Even Thabeets game leaves a lot to be desired. Though as they say you can't teach height.

Besides Mullins who seems to be ranked #2 behind Thabeet, there's Gonzaga's Josh Heytvelt, he played this season on a repaired right foot. In most of the rankings he runs a close 3rd to Mullins.

YouTube - Josh Heytvelt vs UNC

Michigan States Goran Suton is rated the 5th to 7th best big man coming out and he won't likely get picked by anyone. Looks like anyone past the about the 4th best (Ater Majok) is going to be "free pickings camp invites".

Majok

YouTube - Ater Majok enters NBA draft

YouTube - Ater Majok NBA International Prospect

After Thabeet the differences between the bigs ranked 3-8 are almost non-existent (meaning their games all need lots of tooling). I'm not we wouldn't get the same quality of play out of a guy like Suton with lower cost on the sliding salary scale.

Might be that trading down two slots and taking the short armed PF Tyler Hansbrough makes for an interesting banger down low. He's got a little more polished game and some Laimbeer like nastiness in him...

YouTube - [U.P]The Tyler Hansbrough mixtape
  20. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Is there a section on the draft net sight that ranks players who don't think they're good enough to play in the NBA and want to go overseas instead?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.