Detroit Draft Talk

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by G-man, May 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G-man

G-man Starter

Anybody following the mighty think tank that is draftnet?

This morning at;
    #15 James Johnson - Wake Forest - 6"8 SF (pretty nice player)
    #36 Dante Cunningham -Villanova - 6"7 SF
    #39 Jeff Pendergraph - Arizona State - 6"9 PF
    #44 Jerel McNeil - Marquette - 6"3 SG

Over the last few weeks they did have Eric Maynor the 6"3 PG from VCU slated at our #15 spot which I kinda liked. It would've allowed Stuckey to play more at the #2 spot.

I can't see Dumars taking 2 SF in the same draft. Pendergraph is too light to play any serious #4 and who really needs a 6"3 2 guard?

This draft sucks if you're looking for a Center.

Thoughts?
  2. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Let's get us a ~6'7" SF that can take it to the whole.
  3. G-man

G-man Starter

Hey T. Some thoughts.

We have one, his name is Rip Hamilton. He can play the 3.
    I agree we need some slashing.

I'm still having a hard time thinking Stuckey is our long term point. I think he can play point, but thats a horse of another color. Stuckey at the 2 is your slasher.

Rip at the 3 is a 3 point threat.
    He's already proven he can take and drop the shot. He's getting older and playing him at the 3 could extend the quality of his game.

We need banging on the inside and we need to follow the arc. Meaning we need to seriously improve our 3 point shooting by taking more shots.
    Dumars needs to find another Allan Houston type.

I do think Dumars will look for a 3 when he trades the palace Prince.

Maybe we should package 3 picks and make a serious run at putting Ricky Rubio on the roster. Have to see where the ping pong balls land but he'll likely be the number 2 pick no matter what team gets the slot.
  4. Tha Locstah

Tha Locstah First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

You can't be serious about Rip at the 3. Dude weighs 185 lbs! I think we need to do away with ANY talk of playing someone outta position. We tried it this year and it didn't work. Trade Rip or bring Stuck off the bench but two things are clear to me.........we need a true PG and Rip is a 2.
  5. G-man

G-man Starter

Hey Loc..

What I said about Rip, "He can play the 3".

What I also said about a 3, "I do think Dumars will look for a 3 when he trades the palace Prince."

I don't see a starting 3 available at the #15 pick. My thinking is Dumars will trade for or sign a free agent 3.

What this draft has that we might be capable of swinging a trade for is a great PG in Rubio. Rubio and Stuckey would make for an excellent back court for the next 5-8 years.

What we have are 4 picks. I'd give up 3 or maybe all 4 to get to Rubio since we have the cap space and tradeable assets to pick up experienced free agents at the 3/4 spots. In my humble opinion Rip can play between the 2/3 depending upon the match-up.

We need 3's that can hit 3's with consistency. We need a 2 that can also drop 3's with consistency. You can't win at this game anymore without being more than a 3 point threat. You have to be a 3 point shooting team or the point differential will kill you.

While I like to watch slashing players, I think the future is watching Lebron, Stojakovic, Jason Terry, Roger Mason, Ben Gordon, Korver, Kobe, Joe Johnson, Rashard Lewis and or half a dozen others all dropping 3's.
    I don't have to love it, but I have to recognize that's the progression of the game.

That doesn't mean I didn't love the classic Jerry Stackhouse slash, bump and burp at the charity stripe.

My comment about "slashing" earlier was really in reference to wanting to see some current players "slashed off payroll".

It was dry sarcasm..:)
  6. buffaloBRAVE

buffaloBRAVE First Round Draft Pick

this team has to be built to play against lebron and the cavs period! that means either a #3 guy that can guard lebron or at least make him work for his points or a #3 that can put pressure on him on the offensive end and make him expend energy there.

my 2votes for filling the SF spot are
    • Artest
    • Shawn Marion
    Then after you get that figured out, we can fill all the other weak spots on the team, like PF, C

Bynum can run the point with a lil help from overrated Stucky or someone else. Rip can still shoot, but you gotta run plays for the guy! Pistons got away from that this year.

Ricky Rubio would be a nice addition, I dont care how many 2nd round picks you gotta give up! Having said that he'll need some time to settle in to the NBA game
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That is a good point. Lebron is likely to be in the picture for the next 10 years.

If it isn't with the Cavs, then it will be with NY or NJ. Very little chance that he goes West.

So, we need a Lebron slower-downer.
  8. detteam

detteam All-Star

Besides him seeming to have a fondness for NY, what makes you think he won't go west?
  9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

How bout home boy Battier? He is probably cheaper if and when he is available.
  10. buffaloBRAVE

Yea I forgot to mention battier, he might be the best bet as far as what you get for the money you spend!
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I just figured that if he moves it will be for a major market team. So, NY, NJ, Miami, Chicago.

Out West, you have LA, but that is Kobe's town. What else is there? Houston? He's not going there. Maybe the Clippers? Doubtful.
  12. buffaloBRAVE

cleveland can pay him more than anybody else as far as salary is concerned. NYC has more opportunity for making money thru endorsements though.
  13. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Great points buffaloBRAVE and welcome to the forum!

Our #1 priority should be, as you said and as TaS calls it, a LBJ slower-downer.

I'd take Battier or even (gulp) Artest for the right price. I don't know if Marion would qualify though. I like the Matrix, but I'm not sure that he'd be much of an LBJ slower-downer.
  14. HelloIDistance

HelloIDistance First Round Draft Pick

Yeah I could see Artest and Battier defending him pretty well. Two players that take their defense very serious. I didn't like Artest after the brawl and he seems pretty insane, but he's one hell of a player. He's not afraid to get in anyone's face either. I would rather watch Artest out there battling with LeBron than Tay backing up and ducking from him.
  15. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Isn't Nike located in Portland?
  16. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

He's on the older side, but OJ is reputedly a good slasher.
  17. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Better than 70/30 he goes west.
  18. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yeah but he is tied to his contract for at least 9-33 years, so we can't expect Joe to sign him until at least 2018
  19. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Letting Rip work the corner 3 isn't a bad idea but I wouldn't want him too one diminsional.
    And after saying I wouldn't want MadCowArtest for years, I think we can consider him, now. He seems to have cleaned up his act. Anyone who'll stand up to Kobe deserves a second look.
    -
    I haven't given up on Amir. He has the size and quicks to anti-Bron. But still the draft to needs cover SF/PF whichever we don't address in FA. Now all we need to do is get the draft pick minutes. So he'll need the "pedigree" to come in a take minutes.
  20. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I like Battier too, a homer plus he wants to play for the pistons. Joe Johnson would also be another Lebron slowdown stopper. Johnson is a RFA, but Atlanta may settle for Rip for an even swap.

G-Man, great post, you need to spend more time posting in PF.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.