Detroit at San Antonio - Jan 12th, 2006

Discussion in 'January 2006 Games' started by roscoe36, Jan 10, 2006.

1. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Lee, no way Evans was a big story in the SA game. He is not that important a player in general and was not in this game. I agree that talking about the starters is not a story as much since we know what they can do. I agree that you have been pointing out the better use of Sheed this year something that I have been harping on too. I have no problem with your reports in general. In response to your analysis of why we did well in the beginning of the 2nd quarter and not the 4th quarter leaves out the element of momemtum. We were on a game-winning blitz from the end of the first into the second. By the 4th quarter and the 2nd half, the entire offense was stalled except for Sheed and Rip on occasion and if anything, you should be critical of Chauncey. We only scored 33 points in the second half. If there is a story there, it could be that SA still stopped our offense in the second half (not just because of Evans) but I choose to look at this game in its totality and I think that they can no longer stop us for a whole game. Back to Evans, I don't disagree with a lot of your criticism of Evans. But, for accuracy, that play in the 1st quarter was huge. Call it lucky if you want, but it was huge and the SA players themselves are pointing to the offensive boards for their demise. As I said, we don't always get to see every game and I wouldn't have picked that up if I didn't see the game. Ok, Evans had his usual poor game but he got a lucky big play rebound in the 1st quarter. Finally, Tay did not impress me at the point--I would rather have Arroyo in that role.
  2. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

here is a summary of lee's reports:

delfino in the game:

- if we score points, it's because delfino helped
    - if the other team scores points, it wasn't delfino's fault

evans in the game:

- if we score points, it isn't because evans helped
    - if the other team scores points, it was evans' fault
  3. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Ecellent reading comprehension

And thats the truth, as I see it, in a nutshell. So far, I do not see why Flip likes to play Evans. Maybe some potential he sees in the guy in practice that so far is just not translating into game time. Heck, we were all very hopeful about the guy at first. But I see more and more posters posting negatively about the guy. So just maybe I got something right?
  4. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Prince at point, more on game

After reviewing the game a few times, I got around to looking closely at how Prince did as our point guard for the 6 or 7 minutes from the end of the 1st quarter to halfway thru the 2nd quarter. Not bad. Delfino was less involved than I thought the first couple of times I watched. He really only had the one drive toward the top of the key with the dish to Dyess. Otherwise, Tay kept the ball, and made the passes to trigger the plays. We zipped up to a 20 point lead (from 13 up) with Tay in at point. Can't complain about that. We still had an 18 point lead well into the 2nd quarter. And without a blown call by the official, it would have still been an 18 point lead. (Assuming Delfino makes his free throws after Duncan shoved him to the floor.

Man, the more I watch that play, the madder at thr refs I get. And the league as an extension. This shove was way too obvious. Getting superstar calls is one thing, but both Ginobili and Duncan got away with seriously endangering our players in this game with on call at all. Horry should flat out got a suspension for throwing Rip to the floor too. No way that was jus a routine foul. A hard foul is one thing. Grabbing a guy and throwing him on the floor is way out of line. Ok, got that out of my system.)
  5. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Re: Ecellent reading comprehension

There you have it. Digest the game reports with that in mind. It ain't changin.
  6. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Re: review of game

rip and sheed would of killed horry and ginobili if they fought it out. even though chauncey had the biggest match-up advantage, he didn't totally take advantage but the pistons still won goes to show you how deep this team is. chauncey still did way better than parker with 14 assists to tony's 0. chauncey had a very uncharacteristic 6 turnovers though.