Detroit At Phoenix - Nov 10, 2005

Discussion in 'November 2005 Games' started by max, Oct 10, 2005.

1. MainManJoeD

MainManJoeD First Round Draft Pick

Lock down

I disagree about the lock-down D part of your post (agree with the rest). Pistons showed some of their best lock down D last night in the last 1/2 of the 4Q. In the quarter overall, they outscored Phoenix 37-22, and had a 20-6 run in the last 6 minutes. It doesn't get any better than that. (22 points a quarter is 88 points a game, pretty good against the Suns).

I guess that some people would like to see us play that way the whole game ("the right way"), but I think that if we had tried, they'd have worn us out, and put a hurting on us in the last few minutes. (If I remember last year's game at Phoenix, I believe that we had a 10-pt lead in the 4Q and lost-could be wrong).

I'd like to do a statistical analysis of points given up in the 4Q (maybe only in games that were close after 3Q) last year when we played D on every posession, versus this year, where we've toned it down and focused on O for the first three quarters. Bet we have better D down the stretch this year.
  2. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Thanks For The Clarification - My Bad

Right On
  3. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Although this opinion of not playing all out defense for 4 quarters appears to be growing popularity, I couldn't disagree more. I think these are conditioned athletes that should run hard and play agressive defense the entire game. If they are unable to keep up the intensity then they need to be subbed out for someone who can. The Stones' should never intentionally keep the "D" down a notch. If we can grow a lead early we do nothing but insure more minutes from our bench. Although close games are entertaining to watch, I want us to continue to try to knock the other team out in the first round if we have a shot. I'm all for change of pace to disrupt the "O" but intentionally playing moderate defense for the purpose of conserving energy to me is ludacris.
  4. Pastor Flournoy

Pastor Flournoy First Round Draft Pick

We never can put lock down D on PHX for any extended period of time. I believe most of it is because they play a different kind of style then anyone else in the league. For example on the fast break instead of their wings going torward the basket they float to the three point line. It is easy to work on in a series, but not for one game in the middle of other games. However, I am a little concerned by the lack of blocked shots lately.

One thing I am glad 2 see is Billups dishing out the ball so well. Also, if we are going to continue to roll, Sheed needs to put up 16-20 a game. Instead of those 6-8 point games.
  5. Pastor Flournoy

Pastor Flournoy First Round Draft Pick

Also in response of the poster who said they were surprised that Darko did not play any, you most consider who we were playing. Its hard to keep a 7 footer on the floor against PHX unless he is very athletic. I am a HUGE Darko fan but this would be a bad game for him to get some burn. However, Portland is perfect.
  6. MainManJoeD

I do disagree. I think that we've got the most well-conditioned atheletes in the league, but trying to maintain the all-out D paradigm is a good deal of the reason that we lost last year's title. Guys were just too tired (especially Prince) to finish the season strong. I realize that in theory the bench should have been better developed last year to handle the work-load, but the painful fact is that we just didn't have a lot of really good defensive subs, and if they could play solid D, they brought very little to the O end. Opening it up for three quarters in fact makes it a lot easier to get the Delfino's, Arroyos, etc. into the games (who can hang with other teams on O, and should be able to keep the games close), and keeps the starters fresh to dominate in the fourth. Also, I think that the notion that we can't build big leads without playing smothering D is not correct. 70% of the teams in the league we will kill just based on offensive talent. No need to play 88-80 games against Charlotte and Atlanta. Doesn't serve a purpose.

I think that this All-D all-the-time strategy is also bad for the long-term prospects of the team. In addition to players careers being lengthened by keeping them fresh, more top-quality FAs will want to sign on with Detroit if it is less a grind to play here. It really is a tough thing to find the guys to fit into the system. Some flexibility in the system will only help long-term.

I really fell for this idea watching the Spurs last year. They played some awesome O for most of the game, then were able to crush teams in the final moments, with no apparent downside.

The proof, I think is in the players faces. Instead of the grimmacing cold stares of serial killers they had in years past, they look like they're really having fun. I'm having fun too.
  7. MotownPride

But the Spurs actually held opponents down to less points than the Pistons did last year.

2004-2005 season

Spurs PF - 96.2 PA - 88.4
    Stones PF - 93.3 PA - 89.5

So what is this reserved "D" that you are talking about. :confused: Seems to me that they made the conscious effort to shut down teams for the entire 48 as well. Statistically, they actually did a better job than we did. The difference was that when San Antonio wanted/needed to score it didnt look as painful as it did for the Pistons. The Spurs actually beat the Suns playing fast break basketball....but coupled with their staggering defense.

Besides, when the Pistons won the championship with their bench two years ago they played in all out full court press defense all the way to a championship. The starters were not playing the gluttony of minutes they did in 2004. Now, I see your arguement if the intent this season is to remain with a shortened rotation, but we are not going to be doing that this year. Flip likes to use his bench and our bench happens to have alot of promise. Because of this we have the luxury once more to try to keep up the intensity for the entire game. Ron Harper spoke about the difference between a champion and a dynasty. He said that dynasty teams show intensity all the time. They are relentless. We need to have that same passion and trust in our bench to keep the intensity up when the starters are getting rest.
  8. himat

himat Bench Warmer

The reason the suns scored so much is becuse we didn't take care of the ball, especially in the first 3 quarters and it wasn't because the pistons had bad defense. our defense stepped up when we didn't turn the ball over. I'm almost 100% sure i'm right on this.
  9. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

A point guard does not have to score a point or get an assist to be doing his job. His job is to control the game. Forget individual plays. Did we turn the ball over a lot? Were we getting good shots? Was the other team getting a lot of fast break points? Did the ball get up the court quickly and did we get into our offensive sets in time for the offense to be effective. The answers were all positive in regards to Arroyo. My negative comments about Evans were from his first half play, not the 2nd half.

I can't catch everything the first time I watch a game,which is why I generally watch each game twice. But while I missed mentioning Evans getting those rebounds, you are forgetting to give credit for Arroyo for being a solid guy bringing the ball up and setting the plays up. Contribution minimal? Who else was going to do his job? Did you expect Billups to play the entire game? Doing a solid job as the point is a big contribution, whether you believe it or not. Just see what happens to teams who don't have a 2nd capable point to come in for their starter. Pretty ugly in many cases. I will leave it up to the next guy to mention as many cases as they wish. Should not take a lot of thought.
  10. MainManJoeD

During regulation periods of the 3 games the Spurs had with the Suns last year, San Antonio averaged 109 points to the Suns 104 (pretty amazingly close to Detroits 111-104 game last night). The Suns scored an average of 24 points (96 ppg average) per 4th quarter of those games, meaning that they averaged 27 points per quarter the rest of the game (108 ppg average). I don't know if this holds for the rest of the Spurs efforts, but against the Suns, it suggests that they coasted on D until the 4rth quarter, then turned on the D.
  11. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Bias

Since I post both here and at detnews.com a lot, I can see where someone might think I don't like Evans. Just not true. I point out his shortcomings, but I love his steady shot. His rebounding is ok for his position of small forward, and more than ok if he is subbing for Rip. His defense is not great but yet good and improving as he gains NBA experience. He is really just barely past being a rookie. His ball handling skills have a long way to go, but he should be able eventually to turn his scoring ability into assists as the other team tries to stop him from scoring. He can drive in, or create space for his jumper for which he elevates really well. Sometimes, he does not take his time around the basket. A lot of this is simply inexperience. They let him go in Sacramento for this inexperience, which was just plain unwise on their part and great luck for us.
  12. MotownPride

Arroyo's statline for 14 mins:

Mins - 14 FGM-A 1-6 FTM-A 1-2 PF - 2 PTS - 3

So, you want me to give Arroyo credit for going 14 mins against one of the worst defensive teams in the league and not getting a turnover. If you count all of those bricks he was throwing up that caused a loss of possession I would say that he did have a negative impact.

Rather than addressing all of your questions how bout' we do this.

Red represents negative impacts. Blue represents positive impacts.

Start of the 4th Quarter:

11:44 Carlos missed layup 74-82 Suns (not a good start)
    11:42 Ben Wallace Offensive Rebound
    11:42 Ben Wallace made two point shot. 76-82 (I guess your calling that an assist?)
    11:30 Eddie House missed 20 ft jumper. 76-82
    11:10 Carlos Arroyo missed 18 ft jumper. 76-82 (ouch, that's 2 misses)
    11:03 Leandro Barbosa made layup. 76-84 (whose man is that, hmm...?)
    10:45 Tayshaun Prince made 23 ft jumper. (unassisted) 78-84
    10:19 Tayshaun Price missed 12 ft jumper
    10:18 Ben Wallace Offensive Rebound
    10:18 Ben Wallace made two point shot. 80-84 (guess your calling that Arroyo setting up the play as well)
    10:08 Leandro Barbosa's layup blocked by Ben Wallace (way to bail someone out Ben, whose his man again?)

Okay so then Carlos has some good moments...

10:03 Brian Grant Shooting Foul on Carlos Arroyo (at least it doesn't count as another miss)
    10:03 Carlos Arroyo missed Free Throw 1 of 2. 80-84 (Dohhhh!!!)
    10:03 Carlos Arroyo made Free Throw 2 of 2. 81-84 (Go Carlos, it's ya birthday)
    9:52 Boris Diaw made layup. 81-86
    9:52 Boris Diaw made free throw 1 of 1. 81-87
    9:37 Carlos Arroyo made 19ft jumper. 83-87 (Carlos makes wide open shot, that a boy Los!!!!)

But then things go south again....

9:15 James Jones made 15 ft two point shot. 81-87. (whose guy is that, hmmm...)
    9:15 Arroyo fouls James Jones. (ouch!)
    9:15 James Jones made Free Throw 1 of 1. 83-90
    8:57 Richard Hamilton makes Technical Free throw on Illegal defense call. 84-90
    8:47 Tayshaun Prince made 25ft three point jumper. Assisted by Antonio McDyess. (hmm...no touches by Los). 87-90
    7:58 Carlos Arroyo missed layup. 87-90 (Another clang)
    7:45 Leandro Barbosa made driving layup. 87-92.
    7:45 Chauncey Billups enters the game for Carlos Arroyo. 87-92.

So basically although Carlos comes into the fourth quarter with the Pistons down 8 and leaves with them down 5, my take of this is that he had more of a negative impact in the game than a positive one. This is not to say that Carlos is not capeable of better, but he really sucked this game. He will not get any props from me for not being able to keep an offensive player in front of him for 17 minutes or blowing lay up after layup or being unable to help convert easy scores against the weakest defense in the league. Chauncey walked away with 11 assists, Carlos couldn't manage 1? That's a dropoff if I've ever seen one.
  13. MotownPride

or.....it took them until the 4th quarter to solve their offensive wizardy.
  14. max

max All-Star

Last season under the "Right Way" we lost 97-100 in Phoenix. I also seem to recall a lead given up in the 4th quarter.
    The way PHX was nailing jumpers last night I believe we would have lost that game under LB. Just my opinion. Would not have scored enough points.

How can you defend a team that is hitting long 2's and 3's like they were for the better part of 3 quarters?
  15. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

We would have lost last year to Phoenix

max, absolutely, we would have lost to Phoenix last year. We would be 3-2 right now. This doesn't guarantee any championship but I think that much is evident.
  16. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Lee on Evans

Lee, you called it right on Evans. I don't believe you have a bias there. But you are way too easy on Arroyo. That is a position that may be pivotal to our championship (should be going for a three-peat).
  17. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

We were down 11 when Carlo Arroyo came in the game

Carlos Arroyo came in the game in the 3rd quarter with us down 11 points. But for a missed free throw or two, we would have tied the game up pretty much at one point. Your editing is pretty poor. Just because Arroyo got stuck guarding a player a lot taller than him does not make that his man to guard. Just the way things went at the moment.

The last play before Carlos Arroyo came out, Barbosa scored. But think about this. With a couple more free throws made, and Arroyo coming out a moment earlier, CB could have come back in with the score tied, even though he left the game with us down 11. Make fun all you want, but it won't change the fact those were 4th quarter minutes against a very good team. And Arroyo did just fine. PS, I just enjoyed that game again a couple of hours ago.
  18. MotownPride

Can't let it die, huh? :)

"Editing is pretty poor" (chuckle). Perhaps, but not as poor as any commentary that calls this a good game by Arroyo. Did you ever think for a second that the offense was going at Arroyo because he had shown that he was by far the weakest defender in the game? Or take into account that Nash rested during this run so Arroyo was going up against Phoenix's heralded bench (sarcasm). Funny how you can overanalyze lineups but can't see the obvious.

You are right, he did come in with them down 11 points..but I guess I was giving him a break seeing that although the 4th quarter started with them making up a basket, he did virtually nothing to help them get to that point. In fact, add 3 more misses to the commentary...mostly layups. Arroyo was a liability that game. The only thing Arroyo did not do was trip over his shoe while bringing the ball up court. Lord knows that under Phoenix's pressure defense bringing up the ball was a challenge. (whateva!) Being able to bring the ball up against Phoenix in my opinion does not validate ones contribution to our team. Arroyo was NOT the player making most of the decisions on offense during that run. You want to credit him for the reason why we made up 6 points and I am basically saying that he is the reason why Nash got more rest and we didn't evaporate that lead.

Dude, if this is how you evaluate talent...you are probably still wearing a "Save Rodney White" t-shirt.

Sorry, I see it differently than you. I'm just glad Arroyo's supporting cast carried him during that time. I'm not buying your "just because he was on the court that means he was productive" philosopy. I've noticed that you haven't provided any real details on how his positives outweighed the negatives for him in this game. All, I here is...well, he was out there.

Anyway, I look forward to Arroyo rebounding from this performance, but I have my eye on Mr. Arroyo. He needs to get with the program...or see if he can get you to represent him when he has to deal with Pistons management.
  19. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

To Motown Pride

Its not just one game. Arroyo so far is slightly net plus despite all the bench players being net minus so far. (Look at 82games.com.) Per this, its him carrying the rest of the bench, not the other way around. But hey, its early. You can call the fact that we keep winning with Arroyo on the floor a fluke. For a while at least. So keep your delusions for the moment. They will be proven as delusions sure enough soon enough.
  20. MotownPride

Again, I said he had a BAD game. lol! Not that he wouldn't contribute during the season. Funny, the lengths people will take to defend a point when they obviously have none. Nothing you have said has convinced me that he had a good game. You've only proven that it takes little to impress you unless you have an obvious bias against a player. What's next? Carlos is a quick defender because he has short hair. lol.

You've offered nothing to prove your arguement.

And at this point I'm bored with you.

:bored: