Detroit At Phoenix - Nov 10, 2005

Discussion in 'November 2005 Games' started by max, Oct 10, 2005.

1. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

no Darko tonight? Especially against a small team like Phoenix, I'd expected Saunders to go big with Darko, JMax or even Davis. To run the plays for the big guys.
    Seems as he tried to stick to fastbreaks- aaaaaaight

2. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

I'm sorry we must have seen another game. Please explain how he did this? He only hit one wide open outside shot. That was pretty much it for his contribution. I consider myself a pretty objective guy. I give credit where credit is due. Arroyo had a bad game last night. He was a liability on defense BIG time. 1 for 6 from the field. Blown layup after blown layup. His lack of speed on defense was exposed last night. The only thing I can say is that he didn't turn over the ball so he didn't give the game away...at least based on ball-handling. He did not do a good job of setting up for scores either. The Pistons shot 54% last night and he was not responsible for one assist. I haven't soured on Arroyo for the entire season, but this was definitely not a case of him bringing the Pistons back from a deficit. Arroyo was in the game during a run, but his contribution was minimal at best.

The story of this game was the Piston's bigs switching off their man on defense in the 4th quarter instead of having the guards fight screens unsuccessfully all night. Oh, and I think Evans contributed more than you are giving him credit for. The Pistons were outrebounded most of the game until they rallied in the 4th...the only person who seemed to be successfully getting long rebounds off missed threes was Evans. He finished with 5 boards..but they were all extremely important boards against a fiesty Phoenix defense at the time. Although, he had some defensive lapses against Barbosa (Barbosa appeared to be two steps quicker than Evans), he was still the difference between this game getting out of control for us on many occasions. Hustle boards were imperative during many stretches of this game. So YOU can chill on the "negatives" buddy. :)

3. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Tay

I agree. Tay stepped into the big-time spotlight last night in the second half. He was VERY confident out there. He looked like a big, skinny man among boys. He was Herculean. He was a giant among Lilliputians.

4. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

What a game by the stones. As I said befre the season began, Flip will be the next Phil Jackson & the Bulls. Phil has the TRIANGLE Offense, Flip has the FLEX Offense. I wouldn't be surprised if we went on a NBA Championship frenzy over the next five years if we can keep all of our core guys intact. Flip is indeed an offensive genious who previously lacked the personnel to really fully appreciate his offensive sets and mastery. Great game, even though it wasn't a blowout, you could really see the Pistons Swagger at the end of the game.

5. MainManJoeD

MainManJoeD First Round Draft Pick

Targeted D

That was beautiful last night. That is exactly the way you play. What's the point of going whole-hog on D for the entire game and wearing yourself out? The difference between us and them (Phoenix and the rest of the league), is we can clamp down for 5 minutes at the end, and they can't. Only the Spurs can do this as well as us. You just have to put the effort in on the offensive side to keep things close, then play rediculous D down the stretch (and it'll be even better D if you haven't been doing it the whole game). Spend the first 3Q figuring out what they're doing on offense, then turn the D it on. They won't be able to make quick adjustments needed to score. This is really the way to do it! Players are happy, fans are happy, and wins are coming without wearing our players down. Only criticism, is that our bench should have logged some serious minutes in 2Q and 3Q last night. As long as they could keep it within 10, they should have been out there.

I've made this same point a couple times before, but haven't managed to get any response. Do y'all agree??

6. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

:nod: Mo, you silly! :pound:

7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

You guys gotta remember that lee is posting his recap from the D-News board. Some of the comments may not be relevant to this board.

8. MotownPride

I agree. We definitely have an offensive genius on our hands. Flip's timeouts were masterful. It seems like they always lead to an uncontested bucket. A major difference between this year's team and last year's team is that if we didn't obliterate you on defense chances are we would not win the game. (Suffice to say, if we were this ineffective in the paint and with dribble penetration with last year's team, we would have been down by double digits going into the 3rd quarter)This year we are so efficient offensively that teams are forced to figure out a way to stop us. Shots just come so easy in Flip's offense and this game it was without even taking advantage of fast break opportunities.

One of things that I noticed in the second half that contributed to the Stone's deficit is that the Suns began to clog up the lanes and double team in the post offseting some of the our size advantage. It was also a way to hide Nash's deficiencies on defense against Chauncey. It worked throughout the 3rd quarter but Flip's flexible offense only stumbled momentarily as we began to effecitvely take advantage of three point opportunites. Detroit has the perfect balance of inside and outside shooting making us darn near impossible to defend. Coodles to Coach Saunders for making both the adjustments on offense and defense to turn this game around.

I think based on how the Pistons have played the first set of games this season, it is becoming painfully obvious that there is not a starting 5 in the game right now that compares to us.

Oh, and welcome back Dice. We've missed you. :)

9. TBird

TBird First Round Draft Pick

The Good and The Bad

The Good:

1. Down the stretch, there still isn't a better team in this league. Tremendous offensive execution and lockdown D.

2. Chauncey really got it going tonite. 27 pts, 11 assists. Really impressive. And he is in total control of the game out there-our undisputed leader. In 5 games, he has 46 assists and 8 TOs.

3. Tay doesn't look anything like the player we've seen the last couple of years. He is really agressive on offense and looking for his shot. We would've been down by 15 entering the fourth if he hadn't given us what he did in the third.

4. Dyess finally started to get untracked.

5. Delfino looked good-a couple of nice long jumpers. Would like to see him get a bit more run.

6. Ben looks a lot better at the line. If he could shoot 60% for the entire season that would be a huge accomplishment.

7. Offensively, we are 100% better than last year. That's four times we've hit the century mark in five games, and our shooting percentage for the year is close to 50%.

The Bad:

1. For most of the game I thought our "D" was pretty porous, although I won't draw any conclusions from that because Phoenix is a rather unique squad with that small lineup, quickness, and outside shooting ability.

2. Evans was unimpressive. He didn't look like he was in the flow of the offense and I remember at least two occasions where his guy simply took him right off the dribble and blew by him.

3. The offense stagnated when Arroyo was in the game. Hopefully he'll play better against Portland, because he is very capable of making good things happen.

This team is reminding me a lot more of our Bad Boys clubs than the teams we've seen the last few years under Carlisle and Brown. The RC and LB teams tended to play "fourth-quarter" defense the entire game but were more restricted offensively. This team, like the teams of the late 80's, doesn't seem to play defense as well for 48 minutes but do so when it counts, while displaying a lot more offensive weapons.

Overall, I thought this was a terrific win. I agree with what I think it was Collins said regarding the fact that Phoenix really has nowhere to go for a big basket at the end. I think that's helping cause the fourth-quarter collapses they're experiencing.

10. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I hear you my man, but if he is going to "re-post" them here he needs to take responsibility for them. IMO the burden is on the Leemeister...he can always take an extra couple of minutes to edit them before reposting to avoid any "misunderstandings".

Besides, it WAS funny!!!:P

11. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

No Amare

No Stoudamire is really hurting them. Marion has kind of a weird inside/outside thing going a la Sheed, but he doesn't command that much respect in the paint. Active rebounder though.

12. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I totally agree with this. you want to see good d the whole game but the pistons should be able to really take their defense up to 11 at key moments.

13. MotownPride

By the way, Ben had a NASSSSSTTTTY put back dunk last night!

14. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I enjoy reading Lee's posts. I like the detail and the insight. You'll never get that kind of recap off of Fox Sports. It also draws counter opinions.

15. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Not Very Likely

Flipper is not a Zen guy
    Flipper does not date the owner's daughter
    Flipper does not work in a high profile city

There is only one Zen man among the coaches in the NBA.

Flex offense is not the triangle offense. It is entirely different. Flipper will be Flipper and not the next Zen Meister.

16. MotownPride

Hey Buddah,

I don't think she was trying to say that Flip is Phil reincarnated, just that they both teach great offensive systems effectively that when coupled with the right personnel have potential to lead to many championships.

17. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Lee does provide some good insights into the game... it's our job to weed through the biased comments.
    For example.... The Euro's and Arroyo rarely ever do anything wrong.
    Darko's every move is god like (you should see him in practice).
    We have a new whipping boy this year (Evans) until Hunter comes back... Hunter basically always sucks to the worst degree.
    Ben should never ever shoot the ball from outside.... you get the jist :)

Where's Lee's true value as a game analyst come in is with the individual play commentarys... he got a good mind for how players talents should be utilized.

18. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I wasn't comparing the Triangle Offense to the Flex Offense, just saying they both have their indvidual offensive scheme that they brought to the table. Definitely not comparing the so-called Zen to Flip. Personally, I never liked the guy, Tex Winter was the mastermind behind the triangle. If Jackson wins with the motley crew that he has in LA right now, I may give him some love. The comparison is Phil's ability to win 5? championships with the Bulls after inheriting an almost ready made team and one of the greatest players who ever played the game.

19. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

Some win

I have to admit, the Pistons showed something last night. They can really turn it on when they want to. But I am wondering if that lock down defense is a thing of the past. Even when we outscored them so well in the fourth, they still got a lot of points. We outscored them, not held them down.

I was sure that Delfino had two threes but neither one of them was a three. That is really a surprise because the announcers and I all saw threes.

They really had their way in driving to the basket at will. Seemed to me that that was Darko's talent, shutting the lane down, and he should have come in ahead of Evans. If they did not use him then, I don't know when they will. If he is to be used with the rookies, I hope they start playing Dale. Same as last year, our three bigs played the whole game with Ben in there 44 minutes. And same as last year, we strolled out to try to bother the three-point shooters with our arms down. Lucky they stopped hitting them with such regularity.

But as usual, our guards came through to bail us out in the clutch.

20. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Lazy, I believe the Suns were averaging 111 PPG.
    but I share your concerns about the open path to the basket lately...
    That Nash is one crafty SOB.

I hope there's no let down against a rested Blazer team tonight.