Detroit At Dallas - Nov 19, 2005

Discussion in 'November 2005 Games' started by max, Oct 10, 2005.

1. himat

himat Bench Warmer

what delfino can't do that lindsey can is stick with fast gaurds, and we needed that yesterday against dallas.
  2. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

what delfino can do that lindsey can't do is shoot, pass, layup and run the offense. we just give up too much offense when lindsey is in the game. he should be used as a spot defender. not our main backup. let the young guys play and learn the game and get better.

dallas will maybe give us trouble in the finals if they make it there. but in general we don't come across quick guards in the playoffs on contenders. if we do chauncey now has the freedom to abuse them at will. look at what those quicker smaller guards were doing against chauncey in the boston game. so let dallas be happy with winning thier game last night. it won't matter come playoff time.
  3. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

THE Texas 2-step!

We are a very good team...Two things we learned Saturday...1). U Cant win them all. U can lose 12 out of 28 games in the playoffs and still be called World Champion! So I aint studdin 1 loss...
    ..B) 8 and 1 over the course of the year comes to 71-11 and we aint gonna do that.,,,and
    Third) We just need home court advantage. I see us going 35-6 at home and 26-15 on the road for 61-21.
    BTW...Houston is a great people town. As crazy as I acted , they were so competetively friendly with me. I had my Piston WChamp poster and held it over my head constantly.
    My favorite moment was on the jumbotron dance cam, dancing to "Freak out" with my poster. People died laughing!:laugh:
    There was a young 19yr old about 15 rows over and we wolfed on everybody, yelling things like "It's so quiet!" and "Where yall at?"
    I had popcorn throw at me in honor of my support and joy.....
    and the funniest moment of the night was when BigShot was wide open for that 3pointer topthe key and EVERYBODY in the crowd went "OHHH, NOOOO!":laugh:

I took a picture with two of the finest cheerleaders ever b4 the game and talked to Luther head for 5 minutes in his car. I told him he has Joe Dumars potential and to relax- it will all come in time.

The capper...a signature on my poster from...get this...Bill Walton. We talked bout Detroit's potential and he talked to me like I was John saunders!! It was just the same!:laugh: I felt great...
    Nothin like being at an out of town game. I was part of the team and tay and Chauncey gave me appreciate winks and nods.....

All in All.....better than s*x...for one night anyway...my bruddahs!
  4. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

1-2 punch

Arroyo and Hunter make a nice 1-2 punch as backups to Billups. When we need a stop, we bring in Hunter, when we need to keep the offense flowing we bring in Arroyo.

Too bad there isn't a way to meld both players into one. Lindlos Huntoyo or Carlsey Arronter.

:laugh:
  5. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

WTG My Bruddah!!!! :laugh:

Man, I hope I have nearly as much fun when I head to Utah for a game in 3 weeks. We'll be front row up top so we won't get to meet the Pistons or anything and I ain't the type to dance with a sign over my head. I'll probably get jumped and beat down just for applauding politely when the Pistons score.:fencing: lol.
  6. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Hey Lord Tater

Just giveem whacha got, bruddah! But u got to represent in the red, white and blue! There had to be 25 fans of the stones that i talked to in the crowd and lobby! Rep-pree-sent!....my bruddah!
  7. Darth Tater

Will do! :whoo:
  8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I don't think that Darko has the "rep" that you think he does. Not yet.

Sheed is a great rebounder. On a team that rebounded well last year, he had 8+ game and 2+ offensive boards.

Look, I know what Darko is supposed to be able to do. It's just that at some point he's going to have to come into a game and actually change it to be considered very good. Blocks, boards, steals etc. Remember, the standard is high this year.

My point about Delfino wasn't more "general" stuff. I was speaking specifically about last night's game. He didn't have the excuse of being tired from the back to back. 5 shots, 2 makes, zero other stats. Not even a turnover or foul.

In 63 minutes so far, he has 2 dimes, 1 block, 1 steal and he has been to the line in one game only (8 appearances).

Delfino's not some high school player. He was in the Euroleague playoffs as a starter 2 years ago. He was on the 2004 Argentine Olympic team.

At some point these young guys have to have a Devin Harris like impact. They need to come in and light someone up like Maxiell did. I wonder if the score would have been closer if J-Max could have done his thing earlier in the game...
  9. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Solid post Micro... I'll also agree with what Bball says about Delfino's offense vs. Hunters (although he should start to actually show some of this potential sometime soon)... problem with Delfino is he often cost the team equal or more by not staying with his man (it's starting to improve slightly).

With Darko, can anyone remember him coming up with a loose ball on the floor... or a put back slam?... this would show quick bball instincts... which is much more important than some shuttle speed drill.

His defensive footwork was excellent against Houston.

So what's the next step for the fly swatter?

He can start by using some of his natural athletisism on a P&R and drive hard to the rack to draw some fouls... this does not require much thought process (when he usually gets in trouble)... maybe he can gather some confidence early in the game to get on a roll.

Wasn't offense the big selling point on his draft profile?
  10. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

Merc

Quote by Merc:
    "With Darko, can anyone remember him coming up with a loose ball on the floor... or a put back slam?... this would show quick bball instincts... which is much more important than some shuttle speed drill.

His defensive footwork was excellent against Houston.

So what's the next step for the fly swatter?

He can start by using some of his natural athletisism on a P&R and drive hard to the rack to draw some fouls... this does not require much thought process (when he usually gets in trouble)... maybe he can gather some confidence early in the game to get on a roll."

Man, I am dieing here waiting for these types of things to happen. I have seen him dive for loose balls; there is a clip that illustrated one of Flip's interviews about helping your young players, which showed him helping DMC up after DMC had dived for a loose ball.

I have seen him get offensive boards and go back up and put it back, but have not seen any of those flying put-back slams.

It is my fondest wish that he come in looking for his shots, inside. Or driving which he has done on occasion, but really going after it. I mentioned before that I always feel vaguely disappointed when he comes in and just plays "D". :frusty:

I don't know if he has to wait for his number to be called or what, but he needs to come in and make an impression. I would like to see him come in like JMaxx until they tell him to cool it. He just seems to be looking for assists, like a PG. :doh: He needs to act like at least the second option in scoring when he is in there.

You know I have been thinking that he CAN make a difference THIS year, but after just a few games, he does not show it, yet.

With Dyce doing poorly, it seems like DMC could pick up some minutes, but he is acting like he wants to defer to Dyce, and several others. Not the way to do it, Darko.
  11. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Darko offense and bench roles

I don't think Darko's offense is there. He is way further along defensively. I don't think Flip trusts him offensively. What we need to do is turn him loose as a shot blocker for short stretches--play to his current strength. Our bench players need to have defined roles. The Lakers had a weak bench but there guys had defined roles and it brought three rings. The bull's bench had defined roles.
  12. bball jay

i agree one of the problems with our bench is they don't have defined roles. i think if flip told delfino and evans to come in and run and gun with arroyo things would be bettter. told darko he's the # 1 option on offense in the halfcourt. darko's offense is there i think he just defers too much. like someone said maybe he needs to come in the game like the black hole (jmax) and look to score every time he touches it. i think flip needs to go down the line with the bench and tell them exactly what he wants from them. if he told darko every rebound he gets adds another minute of playing time. darko might be a rebounding madman. just a thought.
  13. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I like that! LOL Darko needs to be in the game more. I'm all for doing this in the framework of the teams goal but dang man did he block mutumbo's hook shot staight up? huzzah.

I don't think Darko's ever dominated in the way that most NBA players did in their younger days. Because of his height and physical abilities, he's been stuck in places beyond his actual abilities and therefore he's always been a project. Its always been: one day he'll be great.
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I think that Laimbeer should be hired as Darko's motivational coach.
  15. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

TaShawn

I am with you. Lambs would be perfect because he was a player who, despite limited capabilities (like no hops, lack of quickness, etc) made a real name for himself and was a huge contributor to the Pistons championship years.

I we could add the motivation and mean streak to the abilities Darko already has, we would have a winner. I am tired of this disappointed feeling I get when DMC comes off the floor. He should be making a real impact already, on both ends of the floor.

If he doesn't watch out, those footprints up his back are going to be from JMax. I am beginning to believe that a young player in this league needs to be more selfish. When Darko comes in, it seems to me like everything he does is designed to be team-oriented. Running around setting picks, slapping balls out to other players instead of grabbing the boards and jamming them back in. He needs to be more of a selfish, score first player, until he is told different.

It seems that you need to do that to get noticed, and maybe to build trust that you CAN to those things. Leading the league in shot-blocking has not done it. One reason is that when you position yourself to block shots and accomplish that, you are not in position to get the rebound. You create those ops for your teammates, but don't really get much trust or credit built up.

Evewn when he has been blocking shots and the other teams have been running the lane with wild abandon, Darko was not put in. Maybe he is not trusted yet, but it seems like in those situation, you need to start trusting your player. So the player needs to do something else to get noticed and trusted.
  16. Darth Tater

TaShawn and Berbs

I think you both make very good points.

The more I think about it, the more I want to see Laimbeer as an assistant coach. :nod: I think he would be a great fit and would be a perfect compliment to what I perceive as Flip's more laid back approach.

OK, the streak is over....play the bench already! If they can't hack it we need to know now so Joe can work his magic and rob some other team.

Speaking of Laimbeer and trades... if I recall, McCloskey got him from Cleveland with some other guy (I can't quite remember who it was...some pf I think), but anyhow, I think Laimbeer was just the throw in guy in that deal. Heck of a throw in, eh? :nod:
  17. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I got a stat for you

In that 2nd quarter, a hot team that had just scored 40 points was held to 16 points. And Delfino was out there for a good deal of the quarter. He contributed good solid D.
  18. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I've been impressed with Delfino's effort on D. He's looking much more comfortable out there and is trying hard.
  19. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

sith trivia

In 1981-82, the Pistons acquired Bill Laimbeer and Kenny Carr from Cleveland for Phil Hubbard, Paul Mokeski and two picks. Hubbard and Mokeski were decent for Cleveland but Laimbeer was the Pistons starting center for the next ten years, made four All-Star teams, and maxed out at 17.5 ppg and 13.1 rpg.
  20. bball jay

i agree if darko isn't adding 10 points to those couple of blocks he gets he might be glued to the bench. he has the offensive skills it's time to use them. i too am sometimes left with a bad taste in my mouth after darko plays. it's like he's so much more than a defensive presence. but then again he's probably been told that defense will get him playing time and he's focusing on that. it's just the playing time isn't being given.