Detroit at Charlotte ~ December 17th, 2005

Discussion in 'December 2005 Games' started by Zoso, Dec 10, 2005.

1. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

McCoskey

Beat writers aren't supposed to give props or criticize. They report issues with the team and write game stories. Also, reporters raise questions with key participants in the organization, like coaches. The question was raised about Darko's intensity and Flip gave some quotes about it so McCoskey wrote a story about it. That's what he's paid to do. Don't kill the messenger when it's a message you don't like. :ohwell:

Mocking Darko is almost as bad as mocking a coach who led us to two straight NBA Finals appearances, including a title.
  2. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

Not quite so

I have not been knocking a coach who did good. I pointed out ahead of time, as some others did, what he was doing wrong, which resulted in us not winning the second title.

Pointing out what Darko's shortcomings are and how we would like to see him improve are not mocking. They are constructive criticism.

Mocking is denigrating him as a poster's only reason for writing and pointing out as bad things when he is doing better than people they are holding up as doing better than he. And just because he is not into doing high fives and jumping up and down does not mean he is not motivated.

What I complain about are his failure to scramble for rebounds that are just outside his reach and missing a jam. But others also miss rebounds and have missed plenty of jams, but are not held accountable. Ben is having trouble fitting into Flip's offense and being Ben, he is forgiven and we know he does other things to shine. It seems that when DMC, playing the same position and having light years less experience, can't handle the same situation, he gets all kinds of stuff thrown at him.

If we compare him with JMax, who has also had tons more experience and is older, he more than holds his on when we are talking about results and team play. When we compare him with Dale, DMC does more things to impact a game. Just because he has a look on his face that some of us do not like, he is a total flop and a wasted draft pick.

Not so, and I hope I live to see the day that most of you will have to eat your words. I have nothing bad to say about people who criticise a player or a coach. They have that coming.

It is the inane commentary that shows no real insight and are said just to give some a reason for posting, that I resent. Like these people could even get to the point these players and coaches have gotten to, let alone succeed.

Have I been :deadhorse ??? If I have, I am not the only one.

:yield:
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I think gaz was referring to 16. And if "good" is back to back Finals with one championship, I assume that Popovic must be the only example of "great".

It might be time to start giving AJ some of those final 4 minute "victory cigar" appearances. It's not doing DMC any good, and it feels like the Pistons are beating a deadhorse trying to coach and coax effort/desire.

Looking forward to the Memphis game. That's a quality team the Pistons can use as another yardstick. The Grizz play solid "D" but can be exploited in the paint, particularly if Sheed puts some early fouls on Gasol.
  4. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

From everything that I've read, Darko did play well in his 5 minutes against Charlotte, yet McCoskey said he didnt, and criticized Darko for it. Sounds like he has an agenda. As far as mocking LB, I always said he was a good coach, but considering the way the Pistons are playing now, I'd give him as much credit for the last two years as I'd give Darvin.
  5. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Darko did play decent. He made a great pass on a fast break. I just hope he's not treating the minutes as meaningless like he did last season. I'm glad Flip is saying that people need to earn their minutes on this team. Sounds like what the former coach stressed, too.
  6. clingman

clingman First Round Draft Pick

Darko does need to earn his mins. and if he is lazy needs to be benched, but in the same mindset, unlike how LB treated him.... if he plays well he does need to be given more time. right now, he hears the boss talking but I'm not sure he believes that he will be rewarded for giving effort. so lets hope he does get rewarded when warrented... and he understands that he controls his own future.
  7. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

darko sux!!!

point blank and period! Give it up. people!
  8. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Last comment on this, but I agree with everything you just said. When he blows it, give it to him. But when he does well, he needs to be rewarded. At some point, the kid has to be rewarded when he does well, otherwise Joe might as well cut him now.

Fire Millen
  9. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

As far as I can see, Darko's play has not ever earned him minutes this season. Darko played as many minutes in the preseason as anyone. Flip simply cut the guys minutes after that. Some games, he said darn it, I meant to play the guy. But no time. Sure Flip. Get your story together. Whatever you do, don' say stuff to the public unless you mean it. We do listen.
  10. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Darko should NEVER take those 22 footers in garbage time. It really makes it look like he doesn't care when he just keeps jacking up bricks from long range. He needs to try to get in position for offensive rebounds, so he can get himself a few easy putbacks. And he needs to bust ass running down the floor to see if one of our creative passers (Delfino/Arroyo) can get him a gimme hoop. It would make a huge difference.
  11. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

Fresh Prince

Total agreement from this corner. :nod:

Same message for Clingman and Lee on your last posts, and this last post by TBird, our illustrious moderator, right on.
  12. TBird

TBird First Round Draft Pick

I agree with Lee. First LB had it out for Darko, and now Flip has it out for him. Even though he could definitely help the team, they just aren't playing him out of pure spite. Either that, or they are unable to recognize his talent and effort despite the 50 years of coaching experience they have between them.

Incidentally, I'm also kind of ticked that Flip didn't give Olowakandi more minutes. If he had, he definitely would have been the next Olajuwon.
  13. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

14. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Cmon Birdman... we all know that Flip & LB don't have Lee's keen eye for talent... now if we could just bring back Pepe Le Pew to run the offense.
    Flip = Lair lair pants on fair
    Fair his arse
  15. detteam

detteam All-Star

LOL! :rofl:
  16. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

You stop that thair stuff right now Merc . You may scair away new readers coming over hair and that is shair mean. I cannot bair that thair thought. Even though every time I read his posts I just stair and stair, I dair say weir all gonna hafta bair it. I don't cair if you like it or not. It's neither haiir nor their! So get it in geir feller or weir all gonna lair at you and call you quier. It makes me want to tair my here out.

your friend,

Darth Tatair :D
  17. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Darko & Charlotte Game

I hate to break my leg getting back off the Darko Bandwagon, however, I have been unavailable for the last couple of weeks. I was back in time to catch the Chicago & Charlotte games, in both games Darko stunk up the place, now Flip is in essence verbalizing the same famous Darko quotes as LB. Just cannot see both of these great coaches being that much off the money, if I was a betting person, I would have to go on coaches word.

Playing every game as though it was game 7 being replayed again is an awesome battle cry and motivator.

The Charlotte game as well as the Chicago game gave the bench more time in Flip's Flex Offense and they are only mid way in going through his play book according to the Detroit News.

This game further showed that nonw the offense is mostly set, they can now mix in that smothering defense which equates too, points coming in bunches and keeping our opponents under one hundred point consistently. According to Tim Legler, the Pistons will not be able to do both.

We shall see "grasshopper", we shall see.