Denver Oct 17 7PM

Discussion in 'October 2007' started by max, Oct 15, 2007.

1. detteam

detteam All-Star

I only saw part of this game. The thing that struck me as most impressive was Afflalo's D...he stayed with his assignment and didn't get turned around.
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Finally I got to watch a Pistons game. It seems like it has been forever.

I don't want to get too carried away, because we had a very good game, played at a fast pace, got the win, played all the new guys... but it was just one game against Denver's 2nd/3rd string, so I'll keep some perspective.

Maxiell- crazy stats. 11-15, 12 rebounds, 4 assists!, 3 blocks!! We talked about caring vs. not caring- this guy has some hunger. He seems to have taken the challenge to get more boards to heart. They need to really keep pushing him there and reward it.

Stuck- what I'm beginning to realize is that his driving ability and relatively poor J is what we need. He won't settle for the jumper, because he is more comfortable driving. Finally, we have a guy who likes to penetrate, which is what we've been looking for.

Aff- great form. tries on D. Seems to have a solid attitude. Perfect bench player for this season.

Mejia- better than I thought he was. Big. aggressive. Rebounds! Can handle the ball.

Samb- I doubted him b/c I really haven't seen him in action. He's very coordinated for his build. Quick hands on the rebounds. Against other 2nd string players, I think he's ready to contribute.

Hayes- Better for us than Delfino/ Mo Evans. Nice pick-up.

Murray- You gotta give it up for him after this game. Every time he made a mistake he came back with clutchness.

Dupree- 6 points, 2 boards, and a nice fast break assist in only 7 minutes? He can play in an up tempo game.

With Amir in the mix, we have a perfect bench to go up tempo with. They can all contribute... except Nazr, who can be the extra body to insert when absolutely necessary.
  3. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

Flip in the post game mentioned stuckey's poor shooting saying its expected because he's thinking so much out there learning the position and it will come.

sounds fair to me. our 2nd unit has some serious potential.... let's just hope it comes to be.
  4. kpaav

kpaav Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Wow. Samb impressed me beyond belief. Once this guy gains a little more size and can develop a post game and box out he will be a solid player in this league. Being skinny has allowed him to develop an awesome jump shot for a big guy and he can rebound now by just reaching over guys. I understand people think he should stay in the NBA, but I disagree. I think some time in the D-League is exactly what is needed and what the league is designed for. Nevertheless, I seriously think he could get some time in the Big League later in the year. Can Joe draft second rounders or what!
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm just not sure what he will learn in the D-League. Most of his problems are physical and could be developed at the Palace.

He looked like he had a nice feel for the game. He even took a charge.

I don't really care either way, since I don't see him getting any meaningful minutes from Flaunders. But since we are thin at the Center spot (no pun intended), he could be useful.

Also, with our second unit, he is a shotblocker who can run. A fast break instigater potentially.
  6. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

he's new to the game... he's been playing what 5 years? he'll spend a good chunk of time practicing at the palace but he needs to spend a good amount of time in fort wayne so he gets tons of minutes. If he fills out and keeps improving maybe..... just maybe the darko cult will disapear.
  7. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Repeated application in a competative environment. If he could get into games at the NBA level that would work but he won't so the NBDL would be the best recourse, IMO.
  8. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I love looking over the box score and seeing the vets sitting on the bench for the most of the game. Rooks got some extended play and it is good for their development. Regarding Samb - the only way he stays up if Flip gives him consistent minutes. Will he? Well, looking at the history I have my doubts. And if it's the case he should go down to NBDL to get some playing time. The guy only played like 30 or so games over the last couple of seasons. They don't play that many games in Europe and he was also injured for a part of one season. He needs to play, and to play a lot.
  9. Slippy

I like your thinking Mikhail!!!:MusicBigGrin:
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He blocks shots and rebounds naturally. He CAN'T box out, and probably shouldn't even bother, cause he'll snap. He has a surprisingly good jump shot for his build. And above all, he doesn't look lost out there.

For him to add the strength we are looking for will take years... and may not ever happen. Some frames can not carry that much bulk (Tay/Rip for examples).

So I guess my point is, we may as well use him before he breaks a leg.

But having said all that, Amir Johnson can probably do everything he does better, so I'd rather see the PT go to him.
  11. mikhail1973

Playing time is the issue here. If he can get time, keep him. Otherwise, let him go to NBDL and work on his game. Then glue Nazr to the bench later on and bring Cheick in.
  12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Too bad we can't sent Nazr down to the D-League to showcase him. He'd probably average a double double.
  13. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

wow, this was a fun game to watch. i saw a little at the bar and then watched the whole thing when i get home later.

not mentioned yet is stuckey's passing, which was fantastic yesterday. he had that lead-in lob to dice in the 1st quarter, then drove the lane and drew all 4 defenders, kicking it back to tay for an open 3 with a no-look pass, then had 2-3 other occasions where he threaded the needle through 2-3 guys to hit our players in the post. his jumper will come - a lot of them were very close. the off-balance 3 at the end of the 1st quarter was sweet.

afflalo continues to impress. it's funny how he's trying to be sold as hunter's defensive replacement / protégé, but he has solid shooting form, takes smart shots, makes a good percentage, and has 3-ball range. he's just a solid all-around player.

samb was impressive, and looked a lot better than when i saw him in person. he has good leaping ability, great form on his shot, and moves fairly well. i agree that the D-league will be best for him, as the potential is there. now, i imagine he'd still get destroyed by guys like camby and other 1st string power forwards, but his performance was very encouraging.

flip was alright too - again when he plays under control he can be valuable. he knows when he can drive to the lane and he's good at finishing. i don't know if there will be room for him once amir comes back and the 2nd unit can have hayes at the 3 and stuckey / afflalo at the 1 and 2 spots.

even though hayes was 6/17 i wasn't disappointed with his performance. mejia was a nice surprise - dude can ball. his height really helps him out with rebounding and defense.

overall i was impressed with the hustle of the pistons. they killed denver on the boards (especially on offense), played tough man-to-man defense (even if the overall team defense was suspect), and made smart plays. maxiell's one slam was setup by stuckey, who turned it over but was able to steal it right back. they're playing hard and not giving up and not taking plays off, and that's good news.
  14. mikhail1973

Sheed had something funny to say about Samb:
    DETROIT 119, DENVER 110: Pistons' subs heat up court; Maxiell delivers double-double
  15. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

I told you guys....

see, my VSL coverage is worth the hot dog and small soda that Roscoe pays me.:sssh:
  16. mikhail1973

I wonder how many more times we'll hear the "I told you guys..." routine? Keep it up Low! We love ya!
    :pound:
  17. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

First NBA game I've seen this season. I loved this game. It was so refreshing to see players other than the starters playing almost an entire game. I too realize that we were playing against the 2nd/3rd string of Denver, but I didn't care. I was so thrilled when we came back to the third quarter and all our bench guys were in the rotation and I could finally see them in action in extended minutes.

It's only one game but I like all our new guys. It's horrible to say but I just don't know how many more "Best Starting Four in the NBA" games I can watch at this point. It's one of the reasons I follow so many other teams, because I really enjoy watching the bench play.

As far as the game goes, I can never seem to remember specific plays, just overall impressions. One Huge Impression. Cheikh Samb. I love him (in a basketball way). I love the way he moves, he's not afraid to shoot a perimeter shot, he was aggressive in such a graceful way. Right after we got him didn't we have a Cheik Samb avatar that was a really bad picture? Anyway, he's filled out some and filled in some and those long arms grab those rebounds and block those shots like it's effortless. Wow. I hope we can hold on to him, I just have a feeling about him. Like he has a natural high basketball IQ for someone at his position.

Afflalo blew my mind. Didn't expect his game to be so well-rounded. Stuckey took that easy gentle drive right to the basket from way beyond the foul line. I mean maybe I can stand to watch Chauncey play a perimeter game if I can watch Stuckey drive to the basket regularly. Somehow it'll take the edge off for me. :)

Well as you can tell I'm all hyped up from the game. I watched it live and taped it and then watched it again. I just love that there are Pistons that I can look forward to watching. If only Flip will play them enough.

Another thing that is cool about the starters on the bench is wondering if any of these bench guys will make them a little worried about their playing time. Probably not on this team, but it's still fun to think about. Also, I'm so starstruck by the Best Starting Four. I love when the camera goes to the sidelines and I can see Chauncey, Rip, Tay, and Sheed talking to each other, cutting up, reacting to the game. I've gone to three Pistons games now and I'm too starstruck and chicken to get an autograph. Maybe this year. I would love to have a Sheed autograph.

I mean for me this was just a highly entertaining game all the way around. Even Flip seemed to have on a nicer suit (I do think that top button was too high but...it's a minor thing).:)
  18. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Kimmie, I just love your insights. Looking forward to the season getting started just to read your Kimpcaps, although Kimcasts sound better:)
  19. max

max All-Star

Looks like Samb impressed most of us. Except for Lee, for some reason Lee does not like rookies. Rather see Flip Murry and Hunter play.

Ist time I saw Samb as well. He may have a shot on the team at some point during the season considering how short we are up front. Kind of surprised no one else brought up Maxiels 25 pts and 12 boards. Perhaps we expected something like that given the competition.
  20. Slippy

As i read this the second hand of my clock ticked towards the left and my cats got up on the counter to cook scrambled eggs and hash browns while harmonizing barbershop quartet style renditions of Anything Goes in mandarin.