Denver Oct 17 7PM

Discussion in 'October 2007' started by max, Oct 15, 2007.

1. max

max All-Star

Denver Oct 17 7PM

These guys again. This one is going to be played in Grand Rapids.

Rip is not expected to play due to an ankle sprain.

2. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

http://http://www.mlive.com/pistons/index.ssf/2007/10/sitting_out_is_part_of_preseas.html

WTH?!

Rip's already injured. Hopefully ppl will sit or play Lim min.

Also Flip Murray is starting not Stuckey in place of Rip.

3. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

This move, starting Murray, is just going to seriously dampen fan enthusiasm. Just puts more fuel to the argument that many put forward that they don't believe Stuckey will actually get to play. Very bad PR move. Instead, they should be starting Stuckey, and thereby put a serious shout out to the world that this guy is worth coming to see play. I tell you, it was just one drive, but that one drive Stuckey did was a show in itself. (And he did several more in the previous games.) Advertise Stuckey if you want fans to actually show up for the games.

4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Maybe Saunders will try to implement his North Coast Offense and we'll finally get the dream starting lineup of:

1) Fitch
    2) Hunter
    3) Flip
    4) Dupree
    5) Nazr

5. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm fine with Flip starting if it means we are leading up to his being traded.

6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I'm fine with ANYONE playing if they are pressuring other player's minutes.

7. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Not directly related to the game, but NBA TV is showing an hour-long special on the 1990 Pistons title team just before it, from 6-7 Eastern time. I'm setting my DVR for that.

8. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Is the game on following the special??

On NBA TV that is?

9. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Indeed it is.

10. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Hear hear!!

11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Post to the thread please if you would like the chat open for the game...

12. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I'll be there for game chat.

13. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Chat's open!

14. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Nice win for the Pistons tonight in front of the G-Rap faithful. Rip and CB were out, and none of the other regular starters (Sheed, Dice, Tay) played beyond the first quarter. Samb, Hayes, and Mejia had nice games, along with Flip Jr. and JMax. Everyone crashed the boards and hustled well, though the execution left something to be desired at times.

15. max

max All-Star

Impressive win by the young players off the bench, for the 2nd straight game.

Nice to finally see Samb play. Tough call on where he should play this season. He did a lot of good things out there with his limited knowledge of the game at this point. Might be worth considering for his shot blocking.

Nice games from Stucky and Afflalo.

Maxiel had to be the player of the game for the Pistons 25 points and 12 boards.

16. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I like the energy the youngsters give. Stuckey pushing the ball, Afflalo looks smooth as silk out there.

Give both of them some PT during the regular season Flip, or else!!!!!!:gun1::gun1::gun1::gun1::gun1::gun1::gun1::gun1::gun1:

17. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I seriously have a crush on Afflalo. I don't what it is. I just love his game.

18. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Nice game for the rooks..to bad fans in Grapids didn't get a chance to see at least one star from the Nuggets play.... on the other hand I am glad that Flip sr read the forum pages yesterday and decided to start and play the second team. and even let them play 90% of the game.

The rookies and second and third year players can ball..offensively, but they still need to learn to play some defense. What will happen when they have to play vs some veterans.... It will come in time.

Samb was very impressive and given some d league play can contribute in post season or at least make the A team next season if he develops some more. Stuckey and Hayes shots were off but as long as they can come off the bench and can spell the starters without the Pistons losing any ground they will be just what the doctor ordered. Even Flip jr looked good out there.

They looked winded to start the 4th but recovered enough to win the game...Dumars continued to make notes to himself on his blackberry.. "Fire Flip if he doesn't play thse guys during regular season":)

19. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I fired up the DVR before the game, as NBA TV showed an hour-long highlights package of the '90 back-to-back Pistons title season. Unfortunately, when I started playing it after tonight's game ended, I found out that 3/4 of it had been pre-empted for the press conference announcing the Atlanta expansion team for the WNBA! :bs: :lame:

But I did get to see the fun part at the end of documentary when they showed the '90 team celebrating to the tune of that oh-so-popular song of the time: "U Can't Touch This." The last thing in the final credits was the Buddha at the celebration in the Palace, pointing to his championship ring and rattling off the Pistons' victims in the playoffs: "Indiana, New York, Chicago, Portland...YOU CAN'T TOUCH THIS!!" :pound::winner_first_h4h:

20. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Wow, Camby did not even play in this one. Denver did play all its stars in the game between the two with Detroit. Its hard to gage a whole lot against a weak Denver front line, but here is what I saw.:

Flip Murray scored a lot. He made three open outside jumpers. He got inside quite a bit, either finishing, or making his free throws. He dished quite a few decent assists. Flip limited his crazy shots to just a few for the game. His stats were also added to by Denver grabbing him a few times on the perimeter and him making his resulting free throws. On defense on the other hand, he was often out of position or simply slow to get to where he was suppose to be - and could not keep players in front of him.

Stuckey also got inside a lot, and made a ton of free throws. His stats were padded a bit at the end as Denver was fouling to stop the clock and him making the resulting free throws. Stuckey continues to miss his outside shots. On defense, pretty darn good.

Afflalo very quietly just keeps pouring in the points. A shot here and there and he makes his free throws. Good solid D.

Mejia got to play a bit. Not much in the offense department, but he can handle the ball and consistently beats everyone to loose balls to rack up some rebound numbers - not that he did not go up for a few too. He has some height, and some size and strength to hold his ground in rebounding situations. His defense is clearly a notch above Stuckey's and Afflalo's.

Hayes shot a lot, made some and missed most. He was continually too slow for the speedy team Denver had out there. He played both forward positions.

Samb looked impressive shooting the ball, and compared to the guys Denver played, just towered over everyone. He towered over our guys too, and he has some serious long reach. To just send him to the D league with no chance to stay up here - I just can't agree with it. He got into early foul trouble, getting 3 fouls pretty quick, but ended up with just 4 while playing most of the game.

JMAX was awesome, but you got to mention again the level of the competition. JMAX was hitting his outside shots, getting anything he wanted around the basket. He missed more than he made at the line though. The solution to that is simple. Play the heck out him so he gets comfortable up at the line. If he can make those jumpers, he can certainly make the free throws. Again, JMAX got tons of rebounds, but against who?

Billups did not play. Hunter just a couple of minutes. No Rip. No Amir. No Mohammed. Dupree got about 7 minutes of work in, did very little besides finish a fast break or two.

Tay, Sheed, Dyess started but did not play past the 1st quarter. Dyess had a putback score, made a free throw off some inside play. Inside play that we need from him. He also missed a fade shot he shoots so much. It is a post move, but a very weak one. JMAX shoots it too on occasion, but is told not to. For a very simple reason. If your big is fading from the basket while shooting -who is going to get the rebound? Its a double standard that must be addressed. Dyess only hurts us shooting that shot, he needs to stop.

It was a very high scoring game, and I am sure the folks in GR loved to watch a MIGHTY PISTON VICTORY. GO PISTONS!!!!!