Away Denver Nuggets Wednesday March 21 2012

Discussion in 'March 2012' started by roscoe36, Mar 18, 2012.

?

Who wins?

Poll closed Mar 21, 2012.
  1. Detroit

41.7%
  2. Denver

58.3%
  1. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

What a comeback....Pistons were down 25 and BG scored 22 pts including 5 threes in the second qtr to bring the Pistons back to within five at the half....
  2. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

Some guy playing for the Pistons, wearing Gordon's jersey, has 42 points after 3 quarters.
  3. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

As you go back and watch this devastating loss, I am not sure who to blame here?? But those who didn't see it, let me give you the play by play.

The Pistons had four pt lead with 2 mins left and a chance to go up 6 or 7. The Pistons got stops, but Tay threw up an unnecessary three ball that rimmed off. We got the ball back still with a 4 pt lead with 1:08 left, but a bad pass to Gordon is stolen and BG is forced to foul Harrington who makes 1 of 2 FT. (115-112 Det). Pistons take the ball down and BG misses a shot from the right and that one was in and out. Nuggets go down the court and Tay blocks a shot by Alf. Monroe grabs the rebound and we go into IsoTay mode and he misses jumper from the FT line that is wide right with about 11 seconds left in the game......Pistons still up by 3.

Alf is fouled with by BG with 5.6 seconds and he gets the continuation and one. Alf misses the FT, but Javalle McGee out muscles everyone and gets the rebound and putback in one swoop.....Pistons are devasted, BG misses the last shot of the game and I am sure the flight home will be lonnnnggg. On the previous game winning, play Moose tries to stop McGee from getting to the rebound and slips.....On the other side of the lane, it appears that Tay is holding JJ back from going for the rebound??? Some how another with Tay's wide right shot and him holding JJ on the last FT, this feels like a Taynking conspiracy....

Despite the bad foul by BG in the end, without him, they would not have even been in the game. 45 points, 9-9 from beyond the arc 8 assists. I think he had scored 21 pts in the second qtr, but only had 3 in the 4th. We can only hope that he can start earning his paycheck every game
  4. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

I must say...this loss hurt. Down 25 in the second, BG gets really, really hot, they came right back and had a chance to win...and then we get beaten by JaVale McGee and a bad BG foul. Painful final minute. Rebounding fail too.

BG earned his way today. Without him, we probably would've gotten blown off the floor...and at the same time, he might have cost us the win. He played pretty well today, just played carelessly at the end. Afflalo got whatever he wanted against BG while he got even more burned on the other end, but they made plays when it counted; Pistons just got lost in the scramble. His final turnover was not one, though; Al Harrington flat out bumped him from behind - no call. They called BG for the foul instead. Terrible. He finished with a season high 45 with 8 assists.

Brandon had a really quiet first half, only taking one shot in the first quarter then went to the bench for a rest but ended up staying there in favor of Will Bynum for all of the second quarter along with Greg who sat in favor of Big Ben. He played more aggressively in the second half, hitting a ridiculously wide open three off a pass from Greg. His final bucket was a big one and got the Pistons up 4 with 2 minutes left. He finished with 16 points and 4 assists.

Greg played pretty well offensively, scoring 13 with 11 boards. But he got plain outplayed by McGee at the end, getting beaten to the ball for the game-winning putback dunk (I know he slipped, but he should've kept better track of McGee). Shades of the last game against the Cavs and the Alonzo Gee (I think) putback dunk to win it. The team's interior defense was weak pretty much all night.

I barely knew Tay was there most of time tbh, which is probably a good thing as it means no isotayshaun, but I thought he did a credible job on defense. His final two shots were right out of the textbook wtf Tay? variety though, and he got lost in the scramble in the crazy final seconds.

Max was fairly invisible in is 21 minutes. His jumper looked off, and his rebounding left a lot to be desired.

JJ played well once again, ending with 12 points and 6 boards.

Big Ben was good, anchoring the interior defense in that great second quarter.

Will Bynum...he played well in the first half, somewhat keeping his ball hogging tendencies in check - though BG getting hot helped; he just kept making the obvious pass. Unfortunately, those tendencies came back in force in the second half as he played selfishly and mixed in a good play (steal plus pass to JJ for a dunk) with a truly awful, selfish play (off a rebound, he holds the ball for 5 seconds, simply stares at a wide open Brandon, then proceeds to air ball a jumper with a defender right up on him). He also mostly refused to pass on the break; this ended up in a forced shot at least twice - fast break buckets the other way both times. As much as this team has depth at guard, only Rodney has the size for the off guard spot.

Wilkins was ok, played solid defense. His highlight was a nice dunk in transition.

Good game. Would've liked to have seen a win, but at least they competed well despite the slow start. It won't get any easier despite heading home to the Palace as Miami comes to town. I don't expect Rodney to play then either, so hopefully BG got himself going today, because we're going to need his scoring very badly.
    basketbills and roscoe36 like this.
  5. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

This coach is showing a lot. He figured out how to use Ben Gordon, who has been missing in action for two years. I said after the Clipper game, why didn't Gordon get the ball in the 4th quarter? If he is on the floor, that is his value. He has to shoot when he is on the floor, otherwise, he is a liability. Now, can the coach put some of these pieces together. Stuckey and Gordon have very peculiar games. How do you mesh these pieces? And then how do you get Monroe involved with so much guard action?

Denver isn't much of a team. The Pistons will leapfrog this team in a year or two.

Knight lost the ball on that pass which started the late downfall. He will get it--it just takes time.
  6. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

Well I got the gap right, but well off on over/under. Another wasted $10

An absurd showing by the alien in the BG jersey. I hope his friend eats Charlie Vanillaflavour
    roscoe36 likes this.
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I can't believe I missed this ludicrous game. Looking forward to watching it on the DVR. At least I won't feel the pressure in the 4th quarter.

A close loss like this hurts, but we appeared to be playing way out of our minds based on the 3 point conversion rate. If you have a guy go 9-9 from deep and you lose, that is a bad indicator.

Denver got solid games from their new acquisitions and they were playing without Gallinari. They seem to have no scrubs on their team.
  8. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

JaVale McGee:
    I HATE the way this game ended. :lame:
  9. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Tough loss but a good game to watch. This comes as no surprise to anyone but our pieces don't fit. BG can make up for Stuckey being out but will lose effectiveness as 3rd banana behind Tay (1) and Stuckey (2). Why Tay is taking those shots is beyond me. But we seem to have guys who can break out to the detriment of other guys.

Monroe needs to shoot the 15 foot jumper and hit it.

At least we are competing instead of stinking and hoping the other team has a really off night.

We have 6% chance to will the Davis sweepstakes. Even then its a long road. Two steps forward, one step back...
  10. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Thought this game was won......went into the kitchen up by 5.......came back, game over.....it's my fault...I feel bad
  11. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Man, I wish I woulda went to this one.

BG seems to have these nights when his SG running mate (Rip, Stuck) is out. I know he says the right things about coming off of the bench and sharing the role but it makes you wonder.

If Greg Monroe had Javale McGee's athleticism, he might be the undisputed best big in the association.

Tay used to be one of my favorite players. Now he just pisses me off.

IMO, having just one other big besides Monroe on this team was the difference. Did J-Max even play? - another GM loss.
  12. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

This one had me muttering to myself after it was over. Unbelievable. I would want to hang myself if I was a Michiganer who stayed up late to watch this. There is nothing I hate more than the fall behind big only to close the gap but not win West Coast game. That seems like a staple of these Pistons the last few years.

I kept mistaking Javal McGee for Gallinari and couldn't believe how athaletic he was.

Can't wait for Gordon to go back to the bench for his 6 shots a game when Stuckey gets back. Shrewd move Joe.

Gordon's flaws don't seem so pronounced when he plays (and scored) that much.

I'm guessing this is one of the best 1-4 West Coast swings the Pistons have ever had.

Aren't the Nugs supposed to be pretty good? They are horrible! There had to be 25 times last night where they simply stood there and watched the Pistons run up the court and score.
  13. BallDon'tLie

Yeah.
    Kinda sad when you have to drop 45 points and dish out 8 dimes to get people to overlook your matador defense and suspect ball handling.

Yeah.
    Kinda sad when your highest played player and supposed top scorer feels threatened by Rodrick Stuckey.
  14. Nemo

Anybody know why Stuckey did not play?
  15. BallDon'tLie

His big toe collided with something a couple games ago.
  16. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

If Lawrence Frank had played Big Ben instead of Monroe on Defense on Spellcheck's FT, McGee would not have got the put back. Furthermore, we had a timeout to spare. We could have use the time out to sub out Big Ben for Monroe if Spellcheck's misses the FT.

If BG had not grab Spellcheck and let him have a lay up, this game would have been over by means of FTs.

So many ifs.....heartbreaking loss....

I actually heard Big Ben shout out "Ball Don't Lie' at one point.
  17. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Good point about using Big Ben instead of Monroe on the FT box out. On the bright side, though, it's a learning experience for Monroe. It probably won't happen to him again...especially in a meaningful game. In the long run, a loss here will probably help the franchise out more than a win.
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

IF the Pistons wouldn't have shot 99% from 3-point range, we would have been blown out.

Long story short, both teams played hard.
  19. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Just another learning experience and this team needs them all to get better.

Ok, we got the how-high-the-moon Bengo back, now if the three or four key buckets a game guy will come back too we could be onto something.

Pretty amazing run though.
  20. Nemo

Was our own BDL at the game?? Ben probably wanted some advice........or some relevant humor.