Home Denver Nuggets Tuesday Dec 11 2012

Discussion in 'December 2012' started by roscoe36, Oct 29, 2012.

1. copper

copper Bench Warmer

problem is when he gets it point blank he usually gets it slapped 4 rows deep, and thats by the opposing pg.

2. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Looking at 82games, hey, most of the units used should never be used. And a lot that could be very good have never seen the light of day. Its still pretty early to looking at those stats, and those stats can be so misleading in regards to any individual player. A guys plus minus for instance is heavily dependent on who he is on the floor with. In The Pistons case in general, Frank, for most of this season so far, seldom uses units that function at all. The starting unit is an exception - but even it has flaws for one, and has not played together the whole season to this point.

What we should be seeing at 82games: How does the following unit work- Knight, English, Singler, Monroe, Drummond. (Right now though, Singler is having a lot of problems shooting the ball since that eye injury.)

They same unit above with Stuckey running the point instead of Knight. Then same but Kravtsov in for one of the bigs, then the other. How about same unit but Tay instead of Singler, or Middleton at small forward.

Instead we see a lot of units with CV or Maggette or both. Knight paired with Stuckey. Maggette at small forward. Too much JMAX. (too short to help in a game, even in his very best shotblocking and scoring games.)

3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

One thing that really stands out to me is that Knight's +/- stats are much better than Monroe's. This is surprising since they play the vast majority of their minutes together. The obvious point is that when they are apart, Knight's units fare far better than Monroe's.

That could either be that Drummond tends to be the replacement for Monroe when Knight is Monroe-less or that we lack a point guard for Monroe when he's out there alone.

I agree that +/- can point out areas of concern or point out hidden strength, but it needs to be analyzed a bit before meaning is assigned. Usually players like Monroe will show really bad +/- numbers because they are part of a weak starting unit that gets killed on a nightly basis and they play the most minutes. Kevin Love was always last on the Wolves for comparison.

4. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Monroe's been struggling a lot lately, blaming how he's being used for his struggles which is just an excuse. How he's being used doesn't make him miss easy shots each and every game (nor does it cause him to be soft with the ball).

roscoe36 and copper like this.
  5. copper

copper Bench Warmer

exactly him being used as high post center is what he said he wanted to take advantage of his passing and driving...where hes been terrible is in the post where he wants to be as a center which is where he is getting blocked and missing easy bunnies. He is absolutely using it as an excuse. The funny part is, he has played center 90% of the time this year, which is what the fans are complaining about...he has barely played with Drum which is what would force him to the 4 position. So his whining about struggling because he is being used wrong is a desperate deflection.

6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He hasn't played that poorly.

He's leading the team in gross points, rebounds, and steals. He's 3rd in assists and blocks.

Here is a list of the other players in the league who can say that they are in the top 3 on their team in every major stat on the box score:

(Ranking on their team in each stat)
    Player: pt/rb/as/st/bk = sum
    Varejao: 1/ 1/ 1/ 1/ 2 = 6
    Lebron: 1/ 1/ 1/ 2/ 2 = 7
    Durant: 1/ 1/ 2/ 2/ 2 = 8
    J Noah: 3/ 1/ 2/ 1/ 1 = 8
    J Smith: 1/ 2/ 2/ 2/ 1 = 8
    Monroe: 1/ 1/ 3/ 1/ 3 = 9
    D West: 1/ 1/ 3/ 3/ 2 = 10
    Millsap: 2/ 2/ 3/ 1/ 3 = 11
    Batum: 3/ 3/ 2/ 2/ 2 = 12

Of this group of the most well rounded players in the NBA, only Varejao, Lebron, Noah, and Monroe lead their teams in 3 categories.

A team consisting of:

PG: Lebron
    SG: Durant
    SF: J Smith
    PF: Varejao
    C: Noah

would be a monster to match up against. Every guy could do it all from each position.

7. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I swear I tried to tell anybody who would listen, this exact same thing a looooong time ago. I'm glad at least 1 other person sees it. That being said, Greg Monroe is still going to give you an 82 game season where he averages 15 and 9 as a 6'10" Center, PF or whatever he thinks he is....and that is not easy to find. Anybody else Notice that Greg's poor play as of late correlates with the improved play Brandon Knight? Maybe there's something to that, maybe not. So what stops GM from being a 20/10? Poor FG% at the hoop (the missed bunnies) and no confidence in his perimeter jump shot, he should be taking and knocking down every single open jump shot he gets at the high post forcing the defense to come out on him where he can drive the ball. As much as we applaud Drum, he still can't do what Monroe does. I won't even touch Greg's putrid defense.

8. copper

copper Bench Warmer

I wouldnt say Drum cant or wont be able to do what monroe does, I Honestly believe if given the minutes and run with starters he could easily get a double double every night and play miles ahead of monroe on offense. Drummond is apparently gonna surprise alot of forumites when his confidence comes around because his shooting mechanics are actually very good. he has soft hands and nice rotation on the ball with good arc, and if anyone looks closely , he misses his ft shots short or long but they are always on line. very correctable with repetition.Remember Karl Malone came into the league as a horrible ft shooter and turned into a career 80%? Monroe just needs to suck it up and practice his foul line shot and take a page from Maxiels book, a few years ago max couldnt hit that shot to save his life. Once Monroe gets used to that shot he will be fine.

9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I agree on all counts. I know a brick layer when I see one. I have hope for both Monroe and Drummond. Monroe from the FT line extended and Drummond from the FT line. I actually hold out very little hope for Drummond from the field. He just seems too big and strong to ever convince a coach that he should wander out of the paint. But from the line, he does have unusually good arc, backspin, and his makes look good.

Maxiell is a brick layer by nature and he has somehow practiced his way through it to produce something highly serviceable. It's ugly and forced, but somehow somebody trained him to get the arc he needs and repeat it enough to incorporate it in games. Monroe and Drummond have better natural shooting form.

copper likes this.
  10. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Maxiel came into the league with a decent 15 footer, Larry Brown worked it out of him. Go watch his Cincy days for proof.

roscoe36 and linwood like this.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'll take your word for it. I only remember watching a couple games with him.

12. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

A fire in the master's house is set.

Sorry about the bad resolution, I chased down the Yahoo draft night videos a couple years later, and they were pre-HD and horrible quality.

13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Yeah, looks like the same dude. I would even say that his form looked a little better back then (slightly lower, more natural release). Maybe he raised it a little to get it off better in the NBA.

Fitting song selection. I would imagine that is what it's like inside his head.

roscoe36 likes this.
  14. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I look at that vid and think...
    Hell yeah this guy can score 6 ppg in the association!