Denver Nuggets March 3rd, 7:30 PM

Discussion in 'March 2009' started by Dlev59, Feb 26, 2009.

1. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Gillooly could be our guy, though with Golden State it's hard to know who to whack.
  2. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I was thinking during the BOS game that I hope they're teaching Amir how to "innocently" dive into people's knees while he is not playing. It would be hard to detect from his normal fish out of water court presence.
  3. Ernie the Slow Adult

So Curry doesn't deserve any credit for the turn around last night? If this were an approved of coach I think he would get credit for the "adjustments" he made.
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The adjustments = AI injured + theoretically benched.

The other adjustments = Amir benched, Afflalo benched, Kwame spot minutes + more Bynum + a weird theory about Tay at the 2 and Herrmann at the 3. Net result, the bench contributed 7% of our scoring. Oh yeah, and we trapped Billups, which allowed us to hold him under 40 points for the second consecutive time.

If we would have scored our average 93.3 points per game, this would have been another loss. It was our offense that won it for us.

Curry was once an approved of coach.

Our new starting 5 is playing the way they would play with no coach at all. It's good enough to win some games.
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Daily Dime facts:

Billups' 21 first half points were the 2nd most he's ever scored in a 1st half in his 816 regular game career (so I'm guessing the 20 was the 3rd most in the first meeting this year).

He's the only ex-Piston in history to go for 30 back to back against us.

:detective: They got some sleuths over there at ESPN.
  6. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Great game, incredible ball movement, passing etc. Dyess was on fire in the 2nd half and pulled down 12 boards for the game.

The interview with Chauncey they kept showing was a bit bizarre. He was talking about how AI didn't fit into the team chemistry...how the Pistons realize how important Chauncey is now that he is gone...but he often looked like the best player on the court.

I still think Chauncey lost interest in the last couple of years with the Pistons...and now he's got it back.

It seems like the whole Pistons team has got it back.
  7. Ryder

Ryder First Round Draft Pick

Did not get to see the game live, saw it today and I must say it's one of the better games I've seen this season. It really was something special. I'm glad Chauncey got the respect he deserved before the game, he really put on a show in the game itself. Loved seeing him and Rip going at it.
    In the first half, an on fire CB really made the difference, but the team responded well in the 3rd Q, which was probably the best 3rd quarter I've seen all season.
    In the end I'm really glad the streak was kept alive and I'm now looking forward to the ATL game, if we win that, I really think this season could end-up a lot better than we all thought just a week or so, ago.
  8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The Pistons gave themselves a chance when they took Stuckey off of CB on defense, and Rip manned up to do the job.

Defensively right now, Stuckey is a big hole. He has to pick his game up if we're going to be successful.
  9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The First Take Debate:::
    Skip Bayless says that Iverson should be put in mothballs at the end of the bench and the Pistons with the team that played the last three games have a decent shot at upsetting Cleveland or Boston....

Rob Parker: Let AI come off the bench and embrace the bench role and they should be alright.
  10. Ernie the Slow Adult

The only thing he has going for him at this point is size. He doesn't put the team at a huge disadvantage if he gets switched on to a 2 or 3.

He is very similar to Amir in that you can see the foul coming a good 2-3 seconds before it happens, especially the and 1's.

Tay threw and up fake last night where he got his man to bite and he simply stood there after the guy landed.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Tay also drew a foul on Nene out at the college 3-point line by pump faking late on the clock and drawing contact. He had his best game in quite a while.
  12. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I know. I know. He did it to Balkman.

I like Balkman. He had more rebounds than Max, Kwame and Amir combined.

I think he's playing too much with his hands and body, and not his feet.

But even bigger than that, if you just concentrate on watching him on D, he rarely plays his man when his man doesn't have the ball. He's always shading off to help, without committing to help. So he ends up in no man's land, the ball rotates to his man, he over defends and gets a foul trying to get back on the job.

From my perspective, it's a concentration problem, and it's correctable. Unless that is actually part of Curry's strategy.

But I have been watching it for a few weeks now, and it's very predictable that his man will get the ball, he will over play it defensively, and his man will drive or pass for a score.
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

By the way, did anybody notice how far CB was playing off Stuckey? It was truly amazing. Stuck would be outside the 3-point line dribbling and CB would be at about the FT line and only looking to guard cutters and help in the post if needed. It was like he was paying zero respect to Stuck's shooting.

One other thing. On the play where CB tried to draw the foul from Rip and ended up hitting the 3-pointer... did they actually rule it a 3?

Because they showed a replay of that in the 2nd quarter and his foot was all over the 3-point line.
  14. basketbills

That wasn't close to being a three pointer.
  15. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Agreed on all accounts. He has played good defense in spurts in the past, but overall his defensive focus hasn't been there often enough. He got burned a couple times earlier this year (Felton and Joe Johnson I think it was) that hit some tough contested game clinching jump shots over him. He doesn't seem to be as aggressive or confident on defense since then.
  16. max

max All-Star

As Players? No I was not going to games back then. I was there when Mahorn returned for that one year in 95.

This ranks up there with the ovation Isiah got the 1st time he returned to the Palace as coach of the Pacers.
  17. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i'm glad you picked up on this...i think it was the main adjustment for why we won. if curry switched it, credit him. stuckey has the tools and at times plays good defense, but i agree that he doesn't always focus, and like amir often defends with his hands but not his feet. essentially he doesn't fully commit to it.

onto the game. this was a great night - got there early, had my pretzel roll sandwich, bought a lotto ticket, saw a lot of chauncey signs and jerseys. the arena was pretty much packed and the ovation that chauncey got simply gave me the chills. i really shivered...it was pretty cool...he got a huge standing ovation and i couldn't even hear what mason was saying because the palace was loud and rocking. i wish you guys could've been there in person to experience it.

the other cool part about the game was that fans were genuinely excited and into it...i hadn't seen that in a regular season game since the year after we won the championship. when we started coming back, you could feel the crowd getting excited and you could tell the players were feeding off it. the defense tightened, the effort was there, people were going crazy after simple jumpers in the 4th. i haven't seen a collective effort and hustle like that since the pistons were still trying to prove themselves. 'going to work' was in full effect.

i hate to get overly excited and emotional about a win but this game was enough to turn our season around. 3rd straight game beating a division rival, FINALLY winning at home and giving the fans a reason to cheer, knowing the pistons would come back and win that game - it was incredible. with the 8 losses and going under .500 i think the pistons truly reached rock bottom (or just about as low as they could go) and have now learned that wins are earned in this league and other teams are fully capable of defeating us if we are not cohesive and do not give our best effort. again the question is will we have this effort and hustel the rest of the season - if yes then we can go all the way. if not then we're doomed to lose by the 2nd round.
  18. max

max All-Star

Probably summed it up best for me when CB said in one of his interviews after the trade on how Sheed may have costed them at least one championship. I thought without Sheed we never would have gotten to the ECF so I guess that statement is not entirely accurate.

And thats kind of the way I feel about the past 3 years. Good enough talent wise but was just missing that extra something that teams need to avoid hitting the wall.

With this years squad. I don't know. I think if they did get that far again then it may be different. Different level of appreciation for being in the ECF rather than taking it for granted. Not that I expect that being 30-29 but you never know.
  19. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Stuckey was actually on him quite a bit late in the game due to Rip's fouls (finished with 5). He did a very solid job the 2nd time around after giving up too much space during his 1st stint. Some of the problem the 1st time is that we had ZERO game plan for defending him with the team. In the second half, we were just trapping him constantly (as Cleveland always did), which took him out of his game. Should have probably done that the second he started hitting those deep shots with a hand in his grill.

I do think that Rip's length (ala Bruce Bowen in the finals in 2005) combined with trapping the P&R, is the best way to defend Chauncey though. That way you don't have to be so far up on him as to give up the drive.

Stuckey is generally fine when he has help. He's just a bit too big to make it through every pick and roll without the help defender at least coming to show. You can say that about almost every defender though. His only glaring weakness defensively is that he likes to help out down low too much sometimes in situations where he probably should just glue himself to his man. Hopefully Curry is helping him along in these areas.
  20. basketbills

I'm guessing Rip decided to switch onto CB.