Denver Nuggets March 3rd, 7:30 PM

Discussion in 'March 2009' started by Dlev59, Feb 26, 2009.

1. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

It okay. You did the right thing.lol
    Everyone played well. Lots of energy. Fun times at the Palace is back. I know AI is home watching and looking forward to contributing and coming off the bench. Stuckey looks so much better with Rip.
  2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Games notes

First of all we won this game without AI and AA...

We are back above .500 and undefeated with AI not in the lineup (7-0)

The Pistons only got 7 points from the bench (all by Bynum) as every starter scored at least 16 points.

Maxiell was the only player off the bench to be positive, as all others were negative

So far MC is coach of the month

Billups beat us in the first half, but the D kept the ball out of his hands in the second.

Dice and Sheed had double doubles with each scoring 16 points

The intensity in the second half was is what is needed to win games..

I know it was all about the cap space, but if we have to run CB out of town, I would have traded him for Nene and JR instead of AI despite difference on paper... :stirthepot:
    They scored 36 pts between them...

Good win... 3 down and 39 more in a row for the championship...:MusicBigGrin:
  3. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Oh brother. It doesn't take much.
  4. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I'm so happy b/c this is how i envisioned them playing together. I thought their games were very complimentary.

Great win. Great team effort. Now if Curry replaces Hermann in the rotation with Aaron or lets match-ups dictate the use, and gives Amir some more burn, things will really be looking up.

And i agree with whoever said Rip looks so happy. I caught part of the interview before the third and i've never seen someone so happy to talk to the press.

edited to add;

Somehow inserting Rip into the SL has made Dyess/Sheed suck less together (although this does not mean they are good); i guess the better perimeter D ? which would make sense since the slow help defense from the bigs was where we were really getting burned not neccessarily through post-ups.
  5. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

I actually think Chauncey is a better player on Denver.

With the added dimension of having a big man that [strike]can[/strike] is willing to score in the post, and perhaps even being slimmed down, as evidenced from blowing by Stuckey over and over again.. i atually think he's a more complete player. He's making MANY more passes towards the basket, instead of just the kick outs and along the perimeter.

Unless the big men on the other side are athletic freaks it's really not that bad of a problem. And big men can't chase down ones and twos all game long anyway, not even the D-Ho's of the league.

What I have a problem with is the extended minutes of Sheed and Dice. They are old and they don't need that.
  6. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I do think he's helped by Nene on the pick and roll, but i think he would have been much better this year here b/c of the shape and work he put in before camp.

He's playing like 2004/2005/part 06 Chauncey which is especially noticeable with him getting into the painr on a regular basis.

Oh and props to Sheed who played his butt off in this game IMO. The sweeping hook over Nene was hysterical.
    Yea i was thinking that we had favorable big match-ups before the DEN game. This was the one i thought that the big line-up wouldn't hold against. But it's definitely the perimeter although i'm curious to see what happens when we face LBJ,Wade, and other paint players.

I agree about the minutes, but at this point getting Curry to add another big to the rotation for any extended period of time is probably as good as winning the lottery.
  7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Chin up K! At least AI will be coming back to a team with a chance in the postseason!
  8. roscoe36

The post game silence with so many people online is deafening.

I'm happy we beat the Nuggets. This is a good thing. One of the top west teams, and we have been sucking at home. Nice to put a beating on them. Must have been weird for Chauncey to get closed out like that in the Palace but be on the other sideline. He's done it hundreds of times as a Piston.

The Pistons were really bad early, but man did they come to play in the second half, finishing the 3rd +10 to tie the game up at 74.

Stuckey really struggles out there as the point guard, but Rip has been picking up some of the ball handling slack, and Bynum has been better than advertised. I'm enjoying Will's game. If he had a jumper, he could be dangerous.

Nice deep rotation, 10 men.

Curry seems to be back to trusting Kwame and Amir in small spurts, even if they don't produce. Walt had another setback game, but I think he provides some valuable rest for others. There is some there, there.
  9. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Good win. I was happy to see Chauncey get a standing ovation when he was introduced too. :cheers:
  10. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I always thought AI should come off the bench because of they type of game he has. I have a good feeling that after seeing these last three games, AI is going to want to be a part of this 3 game streak. They still have offensive lulls in the second unit and AI could fill that nicely. Lets Go Pistons!!!

Chauncey looks great. He looks slimmer and more athletic. The ovation was nice but mason over extended himself just a bit.
  11. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I'd post more but then then i'll have NIL syndrome in this thread.

I forgot to add that Prince was fantastic tonight.

Maybe some fans are confused about these wins and not posting b.c they think they have the wrong board.

edited to add;

I hope someone puts the CB intro on Youtube. There's this one Piston fan who has a channel, but i forgot his name . . . Bmac or something like that.
  12. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

It would have been nice to have any journalistic foresight to ask about his up-down career and influence that a stable coach has on a player's career.

How difficult it is for coaches not to be dominated by multi-million dollar influences and having no authority to push, rather than be pulled...with the former generally being reserved for GMs/Owners.

Question for CB: did you have any forlornness hearing that Flip was fired?

Question for CB: did you have any communication from your agent that talks where on going with Toronto during the summer?
  13. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I worried though. I am worried about when AI comes back, not because I don't like him (he was my favorite player even before he was on Detroit) just because of how things have happened this season. Its not just AI. It happened with Rip too. Remember that 6/7 game win streak that ended right when Rip came back?

We have a logjam and it is killing us. We keep seeing a very good team without that jam though. Heck we just beat 3 of the best teams in the league. I just hope AI buys into his new role AND does it well (Rip seemed to live with it but it didn't work).

As for todays game though I loved how we came back. In Boston/Orlando we had steady control. The team showed fight today. Chauncey was unstoppable but even when he was here whenever he scored a lot we almost never won. Same thing happened today. He's doing amazing over there and I hope they upset the Spurs or the Lakers if the Nuggets meet them in the playoffs.
  14. himat

himat Bench Warmer

If the world was all fine and dandy. The problem is not AI coming off the bench. If AI doesn't play well with the other starters than the problem is limiting him to bench player minutes. How is a hall of famer going to play bench minutes (15-18 minutes a game)? Because if you bring him off the bench and play him his usual 35-40 mpg he will play with the starting unit majority of the game anyways and so far that has not worked out.
  15. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Three wins in a row. They did not have Anthony, and the guy who replaced him got 2 points for them. Still, always good to get a win.
    All of our starters scored well. Stuckey got inside a lot, made 9 of 10 at the line, and made a clutch jumper down the stretch. But he got outplayed by Billups totally.

Rip scored 21 and found time to kick the ball out for 7 assists. He also played Billups as well as anyone.

Dyess did great on the boards, and hit several jumpers in the 4th quarter. Good clutch shooting from him - and he did go inside a bit in the game too.

Sheed operated inside some, with a sweeping hook from the right side being his highlight. And he made that clutch 3 to give us the game, to an extent, in the last minute. (Rip still had to hit those free throws.)

Tay scored plenty, and made some clutch shots down the stretch.

Bynum was our only bench player who scored, mostly at the line. He led a pretty ugly 2nd quarter, a quarter that featured a rag tag collection of players for much of it - Bynum, Prince, Hermann, JMAX, Kwame. (Amir got in for the first 2 minutes of the quarter)

Kwame playing meant Sheed only had 33 minutes in this tight game. Maybe why he made the 3 in the last minute. This is one thing Curry has done right of late, playing Kwame some to limit Sheed's or Dyess' minutes. (Though Dyess, and Tay played too much in this one. This game, Herrmann played substantial minutes, was minus for the game, and did not rest Tay hardly.)

The combination of Sheed / Dyess did fine for the game - negative 2 in the first quarter, plus about 10 in the 3rd quarter - and they hung on to win the game at the end. A lot of that - they made their shots. Defense is another story. But again, they made enough shots to be well positive for the game.

Well, we got a weak team at the Palace on Friday night, that should be a 4th win in a row.

AI did not play, and was getting his back checked out. I have heard nothing as to the results of the exam. The Pistons have plenty of guards. We won without Rip, we are winning without AI. And heck, we could lose two guards, and still have enough to win.

Sharped dressed in the absence of AI and did not play.

Atlanta Saturday night is the next real test for this newest rotation of Curry's. (But of course, that Friday night game vs. GS can't be overlooked. The Pistons have lost to plenty of bad teams this year, lets not make GS yet another.)
  16. roscoe36

No one wants to say this, so I will. Rip didn't make it work, or rather it did work, but then he stopped making it work. He was playing like the greatest 6th man ever for the first few games. For all of the reasons that AI would make a good 6th man, so does Rip. They both like to shoot the ball, and play at a fast pace.

Rip insists he should start, admits he didn't decide to come off the bench, was told to do it. And his same argument for always seeing himself as a starter applies to AI, who also seems himself as a starter. But this was about Rip first, and if AI doesn't do it, it will because he put AI first. Or rather, they will both have been too short-sighted with their own egos to be willing to do whatever it takes to win.

The unfortunate thing for AI is, when you get the last turn at musical chairs, you usually end up with nowhere to sit. He should have offered to go to the bench first, and played the political game differently. Rip played the game well, and for whatever it is worth, he "won".

As far as I am concerned, both of these guys are losers if they don't win a title and they didn't try everything possible to get it done. They say they want to win, then they have to back it up with action. Talk is cheap, just like Chauncey saying if his hammy was right, the Pistons would have beat Boston. Every year, there is some excuse. Winners don't make excuses.

I don't think the fans on this board are confused about winning.
  17. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

A decent win. We were outplayed in stretches and they didn't have Melo but the Pistons did a lot of good things.

Yes, echoing Lee and others, Billips still has a lot of game. And he is just so much more polished than Stuckey right now. They need to let Stuckey shoot some jumpers to open up his game as teams sag on him. And he needs to pull up now and again for the mid-range shot.

Good to see Tay used properly allowing him to spot up. Another three dagger from Tay late. I get nervous when it is Hermann who is asked to spread the floor. Dice also is spreading the offense with his jumper.

Have to keep track for the future: Amir, Kwame and Maxiel a combined 24 minutes with 4 boards and zero points. These rebounding numbers mimic the Boston game. That young big production will not get it done. Of course, Hermann can't rebound. I am concerned what a post Sheed/Dyss Piston front line will be. An ordinary Balkman had 7 boards in the same number of minutes. I suspect Joe will use that cap money to put the team on more solid footing for the future.

No Afflalo and no AI--yes we do have too many guards.
  18. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Well, it was a great game and another good win for the Pistons. Despite our obvious struggles this year, the Pistons became the first team in the entire league to beat all 6 division winners... that is impressive.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find any working links in time to see Chauncey's introduction. I'm sure they'll have it up on THE OFFICIAL SITE OF THE DETROIT PISTONS or Need4Sheed.com soon enough.
  19. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I agree himat. Nice to see three wins but it still is not settled.

Something just isn't right about this. When both Rip and A.I. are available, what's going to happen?
  20. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

I actually agree with this assessment. It didn't matter benching Rip. He still played a ton of minutes. I don't know what Joe was thinking trading for AI. It can only have been the capspace. Nothing else makes sense when you look at the different styles of play, the rookie coach and the fact that AI wants to play the whole game!

All of this mess is completely totally and utterly Joe Dumars' fault.