Denver March 18th, 7:30 PM

Discussion in 'March 2008' started by Dlev59, Mar 17, 2008.

1. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

It's beginning to look like Denver won't make it to the Playoffs. I really like the Denver team so much. It's the only team I have followed besides the Pistons this year. Last year I followed about eight teams, but I don't have that kind of bandwidth anymore. Anyway, I'm glad we won, but I do still hope somehow Denver can get in there instead of Golden State. Of course they would have to play the #1 team and would exit from the first round but stilll....

I thought we looked fantastic tonight. I like the way we play against these uptempo teams. I like to watch our defense operating at a faster pace. It's very exciting basketball to watch. Unlike the Pistons/Spurs yawnfests that are like a ritual with both teams now.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Did anyone record this one? Sounds like I missed a barn burner.

I dunno why, but it wasn't on Canadian TV, even with my fake League Pass package.

Sorry I missed chat, I figured, no game, might as well catch up on some sleep and reading so I can rock CLEVELAND tonight! :D
  3. PistonFanInCavsTown

PistonFanInCavsTown First Round Draft Pick

You get a glimpse of what's to come with Bedford in that game...7 pts and 2 rebs. in only 7 minutes...if there were a forum then there might have been some posts calling for Bedford to start and Laimbeer or Edwards to come in off the bench... :pound:
  4. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

roscoe you missed an awesome game. pistons were unstoppable in the first half. it's funny how few responses there are in a game thread when there's nothing to complain about!! i mean, denver is DESPERATE for wins and yet the only guy who played over 30 minutes was maxiell.

could it be that flip saunders *might* know a little about what he's doing? we've complained about rotations, but it sincerely looks like he's changing it up every game and giving extended minutes to a couple players to see what they can do. today he threw AJ in the 2nd quarter for 6 minutes (there ya go lee!) and he produced 4 boards. dixon was also playing better and stuckey got the entire 2nd quarter as he, hayes, and maxiell sparked a huge run.

again i've been saying all year that we need game-changers for the playoffs, for games that our starters might not be doing all that well in. max can do it with his energy plays/putbacks/blocks, jarvis can do it when his shot is on, and stuckey can do it in an overall game (btw he got totally hosed on so many fouls last night). lindsey can with a few key defensive plays. i think amir/ratliff/afflalo/dixon can do it but you can't play everyone, and hayes/max/stuckey/hunter are our best chance in my opinion.
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I agree that the first half was a healthy rotation. I would have personally played Dixon less and Afflalo more, but Amir's first half minutes were such a pleasant surprise that I'm not even going to mention it.

We do have a lot of game changers off the bench.

Amir- shot blocking, offensive rebounding, easy put backs
    JMax- energy, points in the paint, shot blocking
    Ratliff- shot blocking
    Stuckey- driving and finishing ability, athleticism
    Afflalo- defense galore
    Hayes- streak shooter with quick release and great range
    Herrmann- energy, 3-point threat, can lock down German 7'ers!
    Hunter- ball hawking

Dixon- no special talent that I can see. Maybe heart. 3' jumpers.

We don't have any boring bench players. There is no Jenkins, M. Curry, etc. A blessing for us and a curse for the coach.
  6. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

There is always the possibility that Theo's run was simply finding out if he could still play and could be ending. He might be back on the bench for 5th big spot duty for a while.

That was a pretty amazing first half last night. The second wasn't bad, but the Pistons were so smooth in the first. The lead seemed to jump by ten point increments rather than twos or threes - they were up three, then up ten, then up twenty.
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Denver was unconscious with the 3-pointers in the 2nd half. Also, I agree with the bad call comment made earlier. It was one of those games where it didn't matter. But if that was close, then those calls would be getting analyzed all day long here. The charge that Maxiell took, which resulted in a jump ball? What the hell was that? The charge that Stuckey took?

dba, if I were the coach, I would have done exactly that with Theo. Give him a lot of time to get him acclimated, then cut it back so that he stays fresh. Ramp him up again right before the end of the season.

I really hope that is the case with Dixon too. Maybe the learning curve is just longer at his position and he will be cut back in favor of Afflalo pretty soon too.

Flip did make the comment that was something like "just because the young guys don't play for a few games doesn't mean that they are out of the rotation." That to me would support the theory that the new guys are being test driven.
  8. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

He might play some tonight against Cleveland's big men. It's a better matchup situation for him than a track meet against Denver.
  9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Is it possible to be in the rotation if you don't play?
  10. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

That's what I was thinking was that they were giving him the night off to be fresh vs Clevelands Stronger Bigs like Z and Ben on a back to back.

Plus Amir just matches up infinitly better with Denver than "older" Theo does...
  11. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

I don't know I'll go ask the chicken, or maybe the egg.
  12. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

sidenote, i thought dixon did a decent job on iverson
  13. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Unusual game. We get up near 140 points and yet there are just a few minutes of garbage time. Our only good defensive run was with JMAX and Amir in the game to start the 2nd quarter. We gave up a ton of points.

Denver started the game up on us a bit. They were getting exactly what they wanted against us, inside scoring. An old story. Slow start by our starters with no inside defense. They did tighten the D up though and get the lead back.

Hayes had his 2nd good shooting night in a row. Good trend. But considering we scored as much as we did as easily as we did, got to wonder yet if Hayes can do it against good D. We should find that out tomorrow night.

Dixon played extensively. Can't say he did too bad on D tonight. Not that he gave us much, but Denver was playing some pretty darn short guards so Dixon could often find someone to guard in this game that was not towering over him.

Afflalo only got a few minutes of garbage time. Gee, seems we could have used some defense in the game.

Amir did get to play, getting 5 rebounds and 4 points in short minutes. His points were inside, two at the line and two on a cut to the basket. Six of his minutes were to start the 2nd quarter where we had our only good defensive effort.

The 3rd quarter was not too great. We lost that quarter by double digits. Stuckey came on early for Billups. I mean real early, less than 5 minutes into the quarter. JMAX came in for Sheed kind of early too.
    Stuckey and Dixon both played a lot. Neither Billups nor Rip played any in the 2nd quarter. Dixon had a couple of buckets. Stuckey scored 11. He hit a triple, another jumper, scored at the line, got inside a couple times for buckets. I liked seeing both him and Amir going 2-2 at the line.

Maxiell led us in minutes. He hit a couple of like 12 foot jumpers(Maybe one was 15), scored on a fast break. The rest was inside work. Ok at the line, not great. Eighteen points in all. One fairly spectacular block.
    Sheed did some work inside and was on fire from 3 land, getting player of the game honors. Tay just missed a double double with assists and points while Billups did get one. Rip showed no ill effect from playing short minutes in the first half, hitting everything he threw up in the 3rd quarter.

Again, an unusual game. Little garbage time, yet only Maxiell got over 30 minutes. All four of our stars put up some seriously good stats in short minutes. Dyess hit a couple of outside shots and did some work inside. (8 points.) So why did we give up about 120 points? Simple enough. We have to replace Dyess in the starting unit. Just no inside presence at all from him. No lateral movement. The inside was way too open for Denver with him in the game.

Dyess can be helpful against a team with a big strong center or two. But Denver? No such person. Dyess did not fit at all in this game.
    Our 24 point lead we enjoyed in the 2nd quarter shrunk to just 10 with lots of time to go in the game yet, mostly due to that bad 3rd quarter, in which Dyess played the whole time.

Playoff preparation. First good news, another game where Hunter did not play. That is good. Bad news. Another game of trying for no reason at all to cut Afflalo out of the rotation. Dixon did not show much for a ton of minutes he got tonight.

Stuckey and Maxiell got good solid minutes. Amir got 6 minutes in the rotation. We'll call it 75%, a C for this game.
    Theo did not play. He would have fit in about as good as Dyess anyway.