Delfino Says He Wants Out

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by ggazoo69, Jul 13, 2006.

1. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree with Micro that Delfino is much better suited at SF. Flip is a SG.

So why not Hunter as the main backup to CB? Is it just because of his age? Sure he's not the greatest, but he does bring energy and great D.

Then, throw AA or Blalock (the other should be in the DL) in there as the 3rd option and see what they can do. There's no reason why CB can't get a few minutes more rest per game under that scenario.

As for Delfino's work ethic. I don't pretend to know the whole story, nor do I know what's going on in his head. I can only speculate. But maybe last 2 seasons have been more of a mental drain on him than a physical one. Between the lack of PT, the injuries, the doublespeak from management, and the apparent tif with Mo.

I don't think he should be lounging around all summer mind you. If he wants PT, theres no better way to get the managment's attention than to work your tail off and TAKE the PT. Would I have loved it if he played in both the SL and for his national team? Sure. But of the 2, he'll probably get more training, practice and PT in for his national team than he would in a week in the Vegas League.

No one is yelling at J-Max, AA, AJ, etc. for not jumping onto another team right after the SL was over. Or like Star said, DD for taking the summer off after his tremendous work load last season.
  2. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

Disagreements can be healthy. I have an open mind, and reserve the right to change it based on evidence. But I ain't endorsing Delfino on blind faith. He's got to SHOW something.

Delfino became a solid defender bout halfway through the season. I would call him an "outstanding" slasher, except that he can't finish at the hole. That translates into turnovers. He can't hit his foul shots and for a slasher, that translates into injuries. I do like his ball-handling skills.

Whether you or I see him as a "2" or a "3," the fact remains that minutes appear to be available at the 3. So I guess that makes him a "3" by default. Or another way of putting it is I don't think he can beat out Flip for the backup "2" minutes, so by default he's a "3."
  3. jammertime

I disagree. :P
  4. Mad Hatter

Far be if from me to NOT answer a direct question.

I believe Joe traded Mo instead of Delfino for two reasons:

(1) Mo has better market value.

(2) Make room for Delfino.

Why Delfino sat behing Mo:

(1) Mo was kicking his azz in practice.

(2) Mo was a more reliable scorer.

Watch this season closely 16. Coaches play the players they feel gives them the best chance to win. Plain and simple. If the player they don't play happens to be your favorite player; the reasons go far beyond the "coaches pet" excuse.

Seems to me I asked you a direct question somewhere back there. I'm interested in your response.
  5. Mad Hatter

:laugh:

I agree. But I disagree with your "tone." :laugh:
  6. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

In answer to your question, Delfino deserves a vacation, and will get plenty of work playing for Argentina. Check the Fiba schedule, it's pretty rigorous. Pre tourney practices, tourney games, then medal rounds. He'll probably get at least 10 playoff atmosphere games against NBA talent.

And if Delfino bombs next year as Tay's backup, well, I was wrong, and he should go. But, I don't think I will be wrong.
  7. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Mad-
    BTW, this is what CD has been up to the past week:

The second annual Basketball without Borders -- Americas will take place from June 30-July 4 in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

The camp will feature 57 young basketball players, ages 19-and-under, from across South America and the Carribean who will receive instruction from NBA players and coaches, including Argentinian natives Emanuel GinĂ³bili of the San Antonio Spurs, Carlos Delfino of the Detroit Pistons and Andres Nocioni of the Chicago Bulls.

During the event , the community outreach for Basketball without Borders Americas will also feature the creation of a Reading & Learning Center, a Basketball and Books Clinic and two hospital visits to raise awareness about HIV/AIDS.

http://www.nba.com/bwb/americas2005_report.html
  8. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Mo played well in the playoffs... was not a liability on defense and shot over 60% (thanks Dobber)... does anyone believe that Delfino would have done better than this?
    Someone will have to keep defenses honest on the perimiter next year so they don't pack the paint... who's that gonna be from our bench?
  9. linwood

linwood All-Star

Carlos is teachin the kids, huh?

Maybe Carlos can show them how to drive the lane, and right when he goes up for the dunk, Manu can step in and finish.

:eyebrows:
  10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Dale Davis.
  11. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Acker's natural position is the shooting guard (#2). That is where he feels more comfortable and where he excels.
  12. jammertime

Yeah, I know. We just seem to have a team full of SGs with very few actual PGs.
  13. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

Do you think Saunders is going to finally have our guys playing in the paint next year? I don't know what team you watched last year, but I seriously don't think having guys shooting from the perimiter is going to be a problem.
  14. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

The question was who from the bench will stretch the defense?
    No, I don't think we'll "flip" the switch for inside scoring... but I can see teams sagging on our second unit... can't slash when there no physical space.
  15. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

Let's worry about that when Flip actually plays a second unit. I mean, we never actually see a complete second unit until it doesn't matter anyway.
  16. Mad Hatter

I'm surprised 16 didn't answer this. According to him, Delfino's 30% is better than Mo's 60%. :crazy:
  17. Mad Hatter

Oh...that's nice! Where does it say he is actually WORKING on his game?
  18. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

the difference with delfino is that he can create his own shot and shots for others. mo needs to be spoon fed all his shots including dunks. if he has to dribble it's all over. so delfino may not hit all his shots but the shots he creates for others helps us more than mo standing in the corner waiting for someone to pass him the ball. we are not a penetrate and pitch type of team. we don't have a post player to throw out of double teams to get mo shots.

i personally think given equal playing time delfino is a better shooter than mo. mo is more likely to step on the court for 2 minutes and hit a shot i'll give him that. delfino will hit spot up shots, mid range, off the dribble and floaters inthe lane. mo hits spot up jumpers only.
  19. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

where does it say that any of the pistons have been WORKING on thier game. from what i have seen those summer leage games are no better than pick up games. delfino didn't miss much.

it's just understood that they are. delfino is doing community service which is also a big part of the nba game too. i also think practicing with nocioni and ginobli is better than with blaylock and mateen cleaves.
  20. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Also, when Mo got in the game, he killed the offense. All he did was stand in the corner begging for the ball. Teams didn't have to cover him, because they knew he couldn't handle the ball. Remember when Lebron gave him that facial? If Mo's man gets back to Mo, before Mo can shoot, it's a turnover.