delfino gone from pistons

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by doublead, Sep 9, 2006.

1. doublead

doublead First Round Draft Pick

hoopshype.com reporting he will play for spain
  2. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

omg is it true, i was so looking forward to him getting a chance to break out for the Pistons this year...
  3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It's just rumors right now.
  4. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Cry me a river. His game doesn't translate to the NBA. Sure he showed flashes of some nice stuff but you have to do it on a consistant basis. He is too slow to be a 2 guard and too small to be a small forward. I rather see Amir get those minutes he is an intriging prospect.
  5. max

max All-Star

I don't know about this. Besides he is still under contract.

He will feel a lot better if he actually plays next season.
  6. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

On a consistent basis? Give me a break, winless. Some consistent playing time might have established a more consistent performance.

Wait'll you see Flip Murray in action Winless. I have. He was a Sonic.:(

I think it's a really a drag that I am beginning to think it's good for the player when they leave our team, and bad for us. I say to myself "Well, good for them. Maybe they'll get their shot. Bad for us. More of the same.Maybe worse."

This is hardly the news to start my moving day off. I won't be online for eight days. No cable tv (read no NBATV) and no Pistonsforum.com. AARGH. I plan to watch playoff tapes from this year and last year
    and try to see the differences between the game plans of LB and FS.Should be instructive. I hope this team is intact when I log back on on Sunday Sept. 17. AARGH.

I really hope you're right Bill Laimbeer and it's just an internet rumor.If he does leave, it will be because he doesn't believe Joe when Joe promised him playing time. He knows that no matter what Joe says, Flip is a stubborn risk-averse guy, and maybe no many more minutes for Delfino.

I'm not crazy about Delfino. I just don't like to see a guy leave Detroit and go to Spain (the world champion) for a few years and then come back and become a great player who is no longer a Piston. That would be....aarrgh...a potential Darko blossoming scenario. I as a fan couldn't stand to have two exPistons who never got to play tearing it up.

The headline "Will Blalock doesn't want to be a Piston anymore" could be in our future. Joe, fix it or just trade the draft picks for money.
  7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

as.com - Baloncesto

Joe's offseason just gets better and better. I thought he would move a guy if he wanted out...
  8. max

max All-Star

Give it some time. Things are going to start changing. Rooks have not been playing because we have been stuck with this 7-man core rotation which has not been working. The starters have ran out of gas for the past 2 season and nobody has been developing. Does not take an Einstein to see that it has not been the course to follow.

I am going to wait for this Delfino stuff to get translated and confirmed. If it makes it on a legit site then we will see. Bottom line - he just wants to play and is sick of hearing empty promises and excuses.
  9. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

That quote in that article is like a month and a half old.

Anyone remember that?

I do.

It was the last wave of anti-Delfino sentiment around here.

And I still think anyone who wants Amir to play the SF is being naive/incredibly optimistic.
  10. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Detroit would have to release Delfino from his contract to let him play in Barcelona. I don't see that happening. Joe will have to do everything in his power to make CD happy. Cause if he goes with nothing in return, we are looking at LH as the backup pg, Flip as the backup SG, Super Dupe as the backup SF, and JMax and Davis as the backup bigs.

That may be the worst bench Detroit has ever fielded. If we get any injury, we're toast.

How did we go from a 'ship to a team that no one, but overpaid aging vets, wants to play for? Ben, Darko, CD, and Mo all wanted out or want out, what the heck is going on with this team?
  11. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Here's an article(s). They were posted on PistonsTalk.

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/cobertur...en=relacionadas

Delfino tiene contrato por un año más con Detroit, pero pidió que le permitan volver a Europa. Su próximo club podría ser Barcelona. Zoran Savic, manager del conjunto catalán contó ayer que continúan las tratativas para contratar al escolta santafecino, a quien le ofrecerían más de un millón de dólares anuales de contrato.

translation:

Delfino has one more year in his contract with Detroit, but he has asked them (the Pistons) permission to play in Europe. His next club could be Barcelona. Zoran Savic, Barcelona's manager said yesterday that they are negotiating to get Delfino, who would be offered a contract for $1 million US dollars per year.

And then a follow-up basically saying Barcelona is trying to get it done ASAP.

Quote:
    El Winterthur Barcelona quiere cerrar la contratación del alero argentino Carlos Delfino dentro de las dos próximas semanas. La labor de Zoran Savic, director deportivo de la sección de baloncesto azulgrana, se ha intensificado en los últimos días y el jugador está más cerca.

Savic estuvo presente en la ciudad japonesa de Saitama, en el Mundial recientemente finalizado, negociando con el agente del jugador y con responsables de los Detroit Pistons, club con quien Delfino tiene un año más de contrato y una opción ejecutable por el propio club para el siguiente.

En la etapa europea de Delfino, antes de su marcha a la NBA, Savic fue el responsable de su llegada al Fortitudo de Bolonia, procedente del Reggio Calabria, y ahora ha sido el que ha puesto toda la carne en el asador para lograr que firme un contrato de tres años con el Barcelona.

Delfino tiene un salario con los Pistons para esta temporada de 860.500 euros y la oferta azulgrana está en el millón para ésta, aumentando de forma progresiva en las dos siguientes.

Mentor. La situación del jugador, que tiene pasaporte italiano, es complicada en Detroit. En las dos temporadas que lleva allí ha jugado 98 partidos con una media de 12 minutos y 3,7 puntos por partido. Al respecto, el argentino señaló: "Me quiero ir de Detroit, pero no quieren; no me dejan. Tuve una oferta de Washington y otras de Los Angeles y Denver, pero Detroit no me quiere ceder en la NBA. Si me dejan ir, es a Europa. La oferta del Barcelona es cierta".

translation:

The Winterthur Barcelona wants to close the contracting of the Argentine winger Carlos Delfino inside the two next weeks. The work of Zoran Savic, sports director of the section of basketball azulgrana, has intensified in the last days and the player is more close.

Savic been present in the Japanese city of Saitama, in the World one recently finalized, negotiating with the agent of the player and with responsible for the Detroit Pistons, club with whom Delfino has a year more than contract and an implementable option by the own club for the following one.

In the European phase of Delfino, before its march to the NBA, Savic was the responsible for its arrival al Fortitudo of Bologna, originating in the Reggio Calabria, and now has been the one that has placed all the meat in the roaster to achieve that sign a contract of three years with the Barcelona.

Delfino has a salary with the Pistons for this season of 860.500 euro and the offering azulgrana is in the million for this, enlarging of progressive form in the two following.

Mentor. The situation of the player, that has Italian passport, is complicated in Detroit. In the two seasons that carries there has played 98 parties with an average of 12 minutes and 3,7 points by party. Al respect, the Argentine indicated: "I want to go of Detroit, but they do not want; do not they leave me. I had an offering of Washington and other of Los Angeles and Denver, but Detroit does not want to yield me in the NBA. If they leave me to go, is to Europe. The offering of the Barcelona is certain".

----------------

I think it's just rumours too. I don't think anything's done, but it seems like a real possibility at this point.
  12. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

The chances of Delfino re-upping with the Pistons are slim to none... any PT he gets is at the expense of a player that would like to play for the Pistons... old quotes or not.
  13. Superstarov

Ahh Merc... it's nice to see that some things never change. As soon as there is a rip on Carlos thread, I can gaurantee that you'll be in kicking him while he's down.

IF he got some playing time, he might know what it means to PLAY for the Pistons, and he might like it.
  14. max

max All-Star

I have to agree with that. Detroit is still a better situation than Washington and LA ( at the moment) . If he gets some regular burn and feels a part of things then he will feel better.

If not then with some PT he will be more tradable and we can get something decent for him.

Right now is he worth that much?
  15. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Where there is this much smoke, there has to be fire.

Merc does make a valid point though. Do you risk playing him all year so he can return to Europe?

Now that I think about it, Detroit should keep him, play him until his rookie deal is up, and then tender the qualifying offer (low value deal). If he jumps to Europe (where I see his big payday being), the Pistons would retain his NBA rights.

Very, very interesting...
  16. Superstarov

Perhaps that's the route to follow.

But I'd hate to see him sit on the bench again, playing every couple of games for spot duty.

Even Merc, at one time said:
    It's not surprising to see players take off in their 3rd year... maybe this is his time to shine... just want to see it against NBA talent... and more than once every five games.

So the bottom line is, the guy is frustrated as heck trying to break into the line-up. If he can contribute, under decent playing time, he may want to stay. If he rides the pine again, playing well, when he plays, and then gets benched for 3 or 4 games and wonders why, I wouldn't blame him for wanting to leave.

Don't confuse this with Darko looking like a deer in the headlights when he got his chances, because that's not the case.
  17. max

max All-Star

OF course when it hits the local press we will see Dumars asking him about it and its not true or something.
  18. Superstarov

Right.

"I spoke with Carlos, and he wants to be a Piston... he is going to play a big role in the upcoming season..."

Translated:

"We have his rights, and there is no way in hell we're going to let him leave with Flip Murray and Ron Dupree as our only back-up swingmen..."
  19. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

I wonder if this just more of Carlos Delfino posturing to get more playing time. Well, if Carlos ain't in a Detroit uni this upcoming season, I'm gonna hold responsible one Flip Saunders and his obsession with Mo Evans.
  20. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Joe understands Carlos'sntentions more than anyone... if he's still here come February then JD feels there's a chance of re-signing him...
    Carlos is not helping his case with any other team via trade... they would have the same concerns (that he'll bolt)...
    Can anyone deny Delfinos quote that he wants to play with Barcelona?
    Everything coming out of the Piston's camp states that they intend to give him legit PT... so why is Carlos "just posturing" for more PT?

Joe has always said that if a player doesn't want to be here he will accomodate him... what other signs do we need to see?
    He'll prolly show up and deny any of the interviews... poor translation each time?... not likely.
    If Carlos really wants out of his contract, the easiest way to accomplish this is to dog it... wishes granted... Pistons lose.
    Where's the quotes about... I can't wait to get to camp and prove I can make a difference?
    Call it bashing , whatever... I call it reality.