1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

David Ortiz used PEDs

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Latinoking90, Jul 30, 2009.

1. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Another thing to consider is that back in the day steroids could be procured just as readily as Penicillin and Aspirin.

Guys from that era claiming they didn't use them really doesn't mean much. If the last 10 years have taught us anything, it should teach us that their word isn't exactly something we should arm ourselves with when we line up at the bank.

2. G-man

G-man Starter

Re: Weed & Speed

Hey Cloud.
    Having digested a fair amount of black beauties and white crosses in my other life, I remember momentary episodes of adrenline rush as I ramped up the nuerons in my central nervous system. But nothing that would have enabled me to break out of handcuffs (I've worn a few pair) and beat the snot out four policemen.

Think the difference is that speed gives you a mental high, a dopamine rush. But it doesn't impact the growth of muscle mass in any positive way. It amps you up short term, mentally. Steroids as have generally been taken in baseball, football and bodybuilding (as you know) are used for the select purpose of gaining muscle mass.

The synthetic testosterone molecules kick the muscle cells in the azz increasing your protein synthesis. Muscles can't grow without proteins and roids induce the muscle cell growth. That's a different kind'a of performance enhancement with a longer lifespan than a handfull of white crosses.

Though I agree both offer some level of edge depending upon the use and the situation. But you won't get drafted as an offensive line man by eating speed.

3. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Re: Weed & Speed

Adrenaline is the culprit here. Not dopamine. Dopamine makes you feel good (mariuana increases dopamine). Amphetamines increase adrenaline (let's all take a moment to ponder the physical difference between marijuana and amphetamine), which skips a few steps in the chain of chemical reactions and beats dopamine to the punch. The difference between a bodybuilder on megadosed steroids ( to the professional there is usually nothing else, the goal here is to circumvent homeostasis) and a bodybuilder on megadosed amphetamines is that the one on steroids may end up benching 500 pounds, while the one on amphetamines will bench 600 pounds ( a new personal best), break his wrist, and not know or care.
    Amphetamines also increase endurance, vigilance and concentration far beyond anything conceivable with steroids. In sports that require those aforementioned things (endurance, vigilance, concentration, resistance to pain, enhanced mind/muscle connectivity) these perks are awesome with 20 a's and 30 or so s's.
    If you aren't giving them the dietary protein necessary and proper stimulation through training "protein synthesis" is pretty much all you get while increased muscle mass dreams fall to the wayside. Steroids aren't magic pills that give you benefits sans years of hard work ( including trial and error). Hardcore Amphetamines are magic pills that induce you with biochemical fight or flight response to an enhanced degree on demand.

Unless you are injecting longer testosterone esters the mean halflife of steroids in the bloodstream is about the same as orally ingested pills.

Then comes the inexact science of timing these injections in order to enhance effectiveness, or sometimes even to avoid a point of diminishing returns. Every individual is different, and the path is not always clear from person to person and cycle to cycle.

Achieving results from steroids is far from as easy as it is cracked up to be.

Amphetamines for partying, and those intended for tactical purposes such as sports or military enhancement are in a different league. When megadosed for the purposes of the latter their effects are devastating.

I loathe to use such a grandiose term such as "trust me", but I do have extensive first hand experience in this field from a physiological and biochemical standpoint. I've seen these chemicals in action from the perspective of a microscope. It's not as cut and dried as pundits make it out to be.

Alot of linemen use both.

The reason for this is that personal trainers have come to rely on "speed" to get players to stick to strength training routines that they would normally not be able to stick to (and achieve results from) with steroids alone.

There is likely only 1% of successful bodybuilders and strongmen that don't use amphetamines in conjunction with steroids for this reason. Without the amphetamines they wouldn't be able to train hard enough for the steroids, HGH, IGF-1 , etc, to be worth the monetary cost.

4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

On the elatavor today, I saw the headline

"Rose, Aaron on PED's"

Turns out, what they meant was "Rose, Aaron, on the subject of PED's". Pretty funny and misleading headline.

5. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Proves the point though.

Goal no.1 is to get you to read.

Screw the facts. It's shameful journalism at it's best.

6. G-man

G-man Starter

Hear that.

But the point of the comments in the thread that started the discussion were around the public and medias attention to those caught cheating today, the perception of how it impacts standing record books and whether the same was happening and being treated equally during the 60's.

My point being the level of sophisticted use is substantially different in the recent era over it's predecessor. That the abuse was far less rampant & systematic in the 60's and of a different composition. That the public did have awareness that players abused drugs but that the drugs abused were largely of a different nature. That the publics perception of cheating has changed as the more systemic nature of abuse has changed.

For sure, we probably have no one else in the forum with more knowledge of drug abuse than yourself..:) (meaning steroids, their use and impact on the body). Your contribution is both insightful and valuable.

7. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

I'm sure there aren't many psychology majors and former personal trainers of professional athletes posting on the forum. That's true.

Thanks.

8. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Or people who don't urinate outside.

9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

[​IMG]

Vs.

[​IMG]

What's up with that?

10. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor