Darko

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Jackattaq, Sep 19, 2006.

1. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

I still model my free throw routine after AD. Hey, remember when someone stole his special made shoe. If I remember the story correctly one of his legs was apparently much longer than the other.

2. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

i don't remember it like that. i remember a guy that played the game and made it look effortless. i remember the infamous "free throw line" dunk. he just soared and ran back down the court like it was nothing. i remember him throwing an effortless 1 handed touch pass on the break. i remember him throwing a precision oop to ben. don't mistake having so much game that you make the game look effortless with lack of effort. the two things are not the same.

just because a guy jacks up lots of shots during garbage time doesn't mean he's giving all out effort. how many times last year when jmax was making the most of his "time" did he try to rebound / pass / get a steal or check the pick and roll??? all i remember is a guy getting in there and trying to shoot as much as possible. if you want to call that effort.

i believe darko took that attitude about garbage time because he knew he was better than that. lb should never have had to try to "teach" darko a lesson. he should have treated him like a # 2 pick. you treat your # 2 pick like a undrafted free agent then you look around and act surprised that he sulks and wants a trade.

3. MotownPride

Exactly. So since you choose not to remember anything but his highlight film your opinion should be taken with that in mind. Extremely biased with rose colored Darko shades.

There is no excuse for not going hard when you get paid that much money. Its unproffesional. You can accuse other players of the same thing...that's fine. But it was still unproffesional and did nothing to build his case for playing time. Measure everyone with the same stick is all I'm saying. Sure managment didn't give him enough shots, but Darko didn't make it THAT difficult for them to keep him off the floor no matter what your highlight film memory may suggest.

4. bball jay

everyone's vision is biased. look at what you choose to remember about ben. i just wasn't expecting greatness and consistency from him as a 18 year old. i saw enough flashes of it that i know i wanted to see more. too bad i'll be seeing it in an orlando uniform.

your boy ben didn't go hard in crunch time. it didn't hurt his case for playing time. you know why??? because it doesn't matter what anybody does minutes on the pistons was already set in the coaches head. hence the exodus of talent from the pistons.

well on the pistons playing time is not earned. this year may be the first year in about 5 years that a player can actually "earn" some minutes. there wasn't a case to build. it was just simply you aren't a veteran so you aren't going to play. it's crazy that you think darvin ham was making it difficult for lb to keep him off the floor. mo evans was making it difficult for flip to keep him off the floor.

there is no building of a case. thats like going to jail in china or somewhere and asking for your lawyer and 1 phone call. you better just learn chinese and make the best of the situation until you are rescued. there is no case to build because the verdict is already in.

5. MotownPride

No bball jay, not everyone is so biased where they can't see objectively. We went through an exercise where I told you all of the negatives to having Ben on the team. I am very realistic about how he has hurt and helped the team.

You were unable to complete that exercise for Darko. This makes you...special. :)

If Darko was playing with us for free, you'd have a point. Amazing how you can defend someone getting paid a boat load of money and deciding to play half azz for the small amount of time he is on the court. I don't care if your feelings are hurt. Do your job! Look hungry and excited to play like most other rookie or second year players have done in the past. Some good players never get a fair shake and make considerably less. You are a new friggin' Millionaire. Jeesh! I've admitted that the Pistons organization did not help his situation..but read my lips...DARKO DIDN'T EITHER.

Say it with me.... DARKO DIDN'T EITHER!

...consequently, you give Ben (the former face of the franchise) absolutely NO latitude.

Please dunk on Darko J-Max, I beg of you!!!! :)

6. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Have to disagree with you on this. Darko and his agent seemed to have been very clear that they weren't happy with garbage time and wanted him to get real time situations. In the small amount of real game time, he did make mistakes (expected from a 20 year old), and after only one bad game, became a season DNP.

Darko then proceeded to help his situation immensely by demanding a trade, and getting it. The only ones hurt by their lack of effort is the Pistons originization, for showing zero effort in trying to work with a young prospect. And it is obviously couldn't have been that difficult, because it only took Orlando a few months to get results out of Darko.

7. MotownPride

Fair enough 16mile. Year 1 and Year 2 is where most of this commentary is originating from. Year 3 was a complete mishandling by Pistons Management.

8. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

Motown: "I still model my free throw routine after AD. Hey, remember when someone stole his special made shoe. If I remember the story correctly one of his legs was apparently much longer than the other."

Motown, I believe you are wrong about that. I heard that one of his legs was much shorter than the other. :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: !!

9. MotownPride

Uhh...isn't that the same thing lazy? If one leg is much shorter doesn't that make the other leg much longer? Unless of course I am an idiot and completely missing the joke here.

10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

You got the joke Mo. You are simply too serious in this thread. bball jay is eating your brains.

11. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

Motown, that's the reason for the line of 'laughing smilies'.

I just thought it was funny because it is so obvious.

And it kind of goes along with the way all of us see Darko. We all see pretty much the same sets of circumstances, yet we all put such a completely different, opposite, diverse meaning to them.

I don't agree with everything 16 and bills say, but I do agree that they are so much closer to the true situation pertaining to the attitude he developed through the constant lack of opportunity leading up to his asking to "get the hell outta town".

And so many others see it as DMC lacking motivation and that lead to his being summarily dismissed.

I remember when people said that Ted Williams did not try as hard as others because he seemed to just lope after balls hit in his vicinity. But when he was timed as to distances travelled in certain amounts of time, he was faster than most. It looked like he was loafing because his stride was so long.

Anyway, I just thought the joke was that the whole thing was obvious.

12. MotownPride

Thanks bro. I needed that. I wonder if my brain tastes like chicken? :)

13. MotownPride

Right on lazy. :)

14. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I had an immigrant roommate who would always say "Stop eating my brains!"

He meant that the radio was too loud. lol

15. max

max All-Star

We could really use his 0.5 blocks per game. Or his international play. Good thing to keep in mind if the Magic have any oversees games.

16. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

BTW, with 20/20 hindsight,
    The guy Detroit should have drafted, besides Darko, was not DWade, Carmello, or Bosh. All of those guys would have been waisted behind our starting 5.

What Detroit should have done was trade down, and gotten Kaman. I don't think he's as good as Darko, but for what Detroit needed and wanted, he would have been a far better match. And Joe D needs to think about out bidding his cheapo team.

17. bball jay

year 1 and 2. darko was ready for minutes too. he didn't just simply acquire incredible shot blocking skills in year 3. he didn't just buy a sweet jumper. he didn't just grow to 7'. he didn't just learn how to pass. the guy had the tools from day 1. he was mishandled from the start not just in year 3.

you don't develop a # 2 pick with garbage time only. all darko wanted was 7 minutes. even the true face of the franchise cb said that playing darko wouldn't have cost us any games. just like this year playing jmax won't cost us any games.

18. MotownPride

You missed the point. The point was that his attitude sucked the first two years and he didn't do much to improve his situation. It wasn't until year 3 that we saw real dedication or signs of maturity from this guy.

19. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Noooooooo!!!! Motown don't go back there again!!! Its over with. Let's try to keep this about what Darko is doing now.

20. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I vote to change the forum name to Darkoforum.com and then just have a Pistons thread somewhere in the Green Room.