Darko Dunks

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, Oct 15, 2005.

1. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I think ESPN has coined a new phrase "Darko Dunks"

Maybe we need to have a "Darko Dunk O'Meter" to keep track of Darko Dunks during ther regular season.

We could even have overs and unders on the number of Darko Dunks in a game.

I think this year he will play enough to get more than a few Darko Dunks
  2. himat

himat Bench Warmer

How

How would we make the dunkometer?
  3. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Darko Dunkomter

Maybe talk to someone at the Palace and have Piston or Palace personnel keep it.
  4. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

You're looking at an obvious promotional tie-in with a certain donut store. Let them figure out the details.
  5. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

darko doesn't dunk often enough for the palace staff to go through the trouble. i'm hoping that this changes but darko often lays up instead of dunking. but his post up dunk against chicago has me feeling that he should be dunking more.
  6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Darko has the athleticism (and soon will have the size) to power dunk on almost anyone. As long as the rim doesn't block him (hey, it's happened before), I can see this being the most effective weapon in his arsenal.
  7. Zoso

Zoso First Round Draft Pick

I totally agree. There's been a lot of times, some recently, where I thought for sure, he was going to slam it home and with me yelling "Throw It down Big Man", only to watch him kiss it off the glass. :ohwell:
  8. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Darko's easily got the speed, wingspan, ballhandling skills, and athleticism to face-up in the high-post, take his man of the dribble, and throw it down. And I know once he gets comfortably into the system (gets a couple weeks worth of regular season games succesfully under his belt) he will start doing these sorts of things. Because I know he used to do it in Europe (pre-LB's handcuffs).
  9. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I can't put my finger on it but there's something missing in his "ups".
    A guy with his length should have no problem getting well above the rim...
    Players much smaller than him are reaching the apex the same as Darko... especially on rebounds that he already has established position.

This is not an anti Darko post... just trying to figure out if he's lacking timing... or is his vertical less than advertised?

Would also like to see him improve the hands... Ben can snatch a ball at it's highest point with one hand (smaller than Darkos).

I'm thinking he's tryng to rebound flat footed instead of anticipating the direction and timing his leap... hopefully the instincts will improve with PT.
    In the Milwaukee game there were several boards that landed in his lap (good positioning on his part)... what I'm looking for is getting to the ball that isn't a gimme.... I think rebounding and dunking go hand in hand.
  10. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think he's relying a bit too much on his height and isn't trying as hard to jump, thinking that his vertical advantage will make up for the loss in hops.

I'm sure he'll learn in time to give it his all each time. With great roll models like Ben, Dice and now Evans on giving it you're all regardless of talent, he'll get it worked out.
  11. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

changed my mind

after watching tonights game. i think we may need to put up a darko dunks thingee. he tried to stuff pretty much everything near the basket. didn't connect on any of them but he tried to stuff it.
  12. The DOC

The DOC Second Round Draft Pick

Though I think you would have trouble naming too many 7 footers with ups (having trouble thinking of any right now - assuming KG is listed at 6'11'). I think the reality as you get taller - past the 7 foot mark, you lose some vertical. The real jumpers are at 6'9" and below.

However, that doesn't mean he shouldn't be dunking tons and out rebounding smaller players. I think that as he gets more comfortable on offense the dunks will come. And a lot of rebounding is effort and timing. Looks like Darko is starting to put in the effort, so he will start developing the timing soon.

He is probably a darn good jumper for someone 7'1" but he won't ever jump like the 6'9" Ben Wallace. But at 7' plus he shouldn't have to.
  13. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

See Darko today vs. the Mavs? What did I tell ya? :nod:
  14. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

FP22 sent me some video and it uploaded to the Mavs game thread in the Event Forum.

Darko vs. Diop. Very sweet.