Darko Arrested

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Oct 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

It's not surprising at all that it's going to be all over the news. :ohwell: This thread was first posted in here only about 6.5 hours ago (at the time of this writing), and already there were over 420 views!! Darko is a topical kind of guy, lol.
  2. detteam

detteam All-Star

Good thing LB wasn't in town during this, he would have benched him.

Uhhhhh...never mind...
  3. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

pretty lame of the cops. some of the young sterling heights cops are so ridiculous, they shoulda just gave him a warning and got some free tickets out of it and promised to make him pay his other infractions.
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I disagree with that. He's an adult, and he has the means to pay. He should be held to the same standard as you or I.

This should turn out positive for DMC. Hopefully it is embarassing enough that he learns to slow down (save his own life and the life of others) as well as respect how fast ESPN can make you look like bad.
  5. puertoricanballer

puertoricanballer First Round Draft Pick

Ha Ha Ha

This quote is too funny:laugh: , although not that popular with.... you know who they are...(sorry for the cheap shot, I just couldn't resist):P
  6. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

okay, so give him a warning on the tint ticket, have him scratch your back w/some tickets, and make him pay the other infractions within a month or they'll arrest him. no need to make a public spectacle of it and have darko and the team placed under scrutiny. that negativity isn't necessary on such a minor, harmless issue.

now some lame cop thinks he is cool and gets a star on his hat :rolleyes:
  7. roscoe36

I dunno dude. That sounds a lot like bribery/extortion.

The warrant was issued. They had to act on it once they pulled him over or they are not doing their job. So maybe they turn a blind eye this time, and 6 months later DMC gets into a serious accident without a licence and gets destroyed in a civil suit. This small wrist slap is preferable to sending the wrong message that he is "special" and can enjoy more leeway than regular folk. It's how you get Kobe Bryants.

It's Darko's bad decision making that might end up making the cop a celebrity. Not fulfilling the job he is paid to do.

I'm no big fan of the police, but it's hypocritical to have a second set of standards for celebs. They are no better than you or I, just paid well to be under a large microscope.
  8. Tyskillz

Tyskillz First Round Draft Pick

Cops can't show DMC some luv?!?

That's exactly what I was thinking man, I mean the guy isn't a superstar yet but damn here in Michigan he might as well be.... SHEESH, stupid %%% cops hardly give anybody a freckin break out there in sterling heights I guess, not even one of our own World Champion Detroit Pistons for cryin out loud, DAMN!

Anyway I'm just glad he didn't get pulled over something actually serious like a DUI or something. Besides that I'm looking forward to seeing the boyz once again do their thing tonight! GO PISTONS!!!!!!
  9. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

we'll agree to disagree. they could taken him to the station or took the time to make him pay his tickets right there. like i said, give him a 'take care of this or else', and then if it continues later *then* you take action.

and oddly enough, i more or less *am* a fan of the police lol, considering my father was one for over 30 years in d-town. for the record, he was far more upset at the cops that arrested him than i was.
  10. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Dand you guys scared me. i just looged in and I saw this forum. I thought he pulled off something really bad.
  11. Tyskillz

Tyskillz First Round Draft Pick

No argument from me...

Your above highlighted words certainly speak the gospel truth my friend. The kid is indeed young and hopefully learns NOW that a license is a priviledge that can be taken away if not responsible with. Don't play with these cops as if you're above the law, although some are jerks others are just doing there job (sometimes).... Bottom line for young Darko is... Get them damn ticket paid man, you're a millionaire for pete's sake, sheesh!!!
  12. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Oh, I hate it when this guy is right! It always goes straight to his head!!! :biggrin1:
  13. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

police regularly give exceptions. women get out of tickets for giving thier number out. police don't usually give firemen or other police officers tickets. certain areas in michigan the cops are just gr%%%%%%%s and want to ticket for everything(livonia,redford,allen park to name a few). makes me want to go to thier area and do some crime so the police officers will have some real work to do instead of pulling over millionaires.

the right thing to do would have been to take him to the station and pay the tickets. give him a warning for the tint. the tint is there for a very good reason in darko's case. this was purposely done by a cop that wanted to have his name out there. might get himself an interview about it.

there is a definite second set of rules for celebs. ask oj, kobe, ron artest, the rest of the pacers. most of the time celebs rarely do jail time they get community service.
  14. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

"the tint is there for a very good reason in darko's case."

very good point.

"this was purposely done by a cop that wanted to have his name out there. might get himself an interview about it. "

yeah just like the brawl when mark hackell was giddy over getting on ESPN when there was no reason to have him on there.
  15. roscoe36

OJ - accused of murder
    Kobe - accused of rape
    Artest - assaulting fans

Not good examples. Certainly not examples we want for Darko.

People keep talking about "how it should have been handled".

How it should have been handled (I'm no US legal system expert) is that when a warrant is issued, you make the arrest. That's the rules right? Same for you, me or Darko.

I don't get some of you cats. You want him to do well, and be a fixture for the franchise. Yeah this looks bad, but it sets a terrible precedent for him if he can get away with stuff or have preferential treatment. Is it better if he gets away with stuff a few times, and then gets nailed for DUI @ 23?

Remember how everyone bemoans that he is young? Well, this is how you learn and mature. You make mistakes, and you deal with the consequences, and that's what makes you a functional adult. Accountability.

Darko will be a better Piston for this. And more importantly (and often overlooked) is that he will be a better PERSON for this.
  16. bball jay

i wasn't giving them for examples of how darko should act. i was giving them as examples to you that whether you think it should be or not. there definitely is a second set of rules for celebs.

yes. i hope darko learns from this and pays his tickets from now on and drives with his windows down. this is normal behavior and people are making a big deal of it. a tint ticket is not the first step to a dui. i used to speed when i was 20 now i haven't had a ticket in years. i drive the speed limit and use my blinkers.
  17. Caliban

Caliban First Round Draft Pick

Nice touch. Certainly lighter than that of Ham's wife.

I heard the cops let Darko slide a bit. They said the tint on his shades were darker than a metaphysician's cellar.
  18. roscoe36

Yeah, I know you weren't using them as role models. Which is why I made the point that double standards for celebs turn out badly more often than not.

Yes, and getting a warrant for not paying your tickets is normal behaviour. And getting taken "downtown" when you get stopped with an outstanding warrant is "normal" behaviour.

The difference is, you probably paid your tickets before someone issued a warrant. And you probably slowed down because it sucks paying to speed. Get my point?

You screwed up (like I also have) and paid your dues becoming smarter for it. Ain't nothing wrong with Darko making some small mistakes and learning from them. A free pass doesn't teach him anything.
  19. bball jay

yes. i get what you are saying. but paying tickets is insignificant to darko. paying tickets to me was putting a major dent in my pockets. i'm not saying darko should be able to do whatever he wants. paying 200 dollars is essentially the same thing as a free pass for darko. it's more of a hassle to him not a life lesson. so now they are going to waste tax payer money to have him go to court.
  20. roscoe36

Paying $200 is insignificant to Darko although I would assume you have a similar system in MI that we have here, in that tickets penalize your record and can result in loss of your licence.

What is not insignificant is the consequence of having your name splattered all over the web (and tomorrow's print newspapers) for being "arrested". While the tickets may not have an affect on Darko, not paying them and the consequences that go with that probably will.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.