1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Dan Gilbert blasting off

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by detteam, Jul 9, 2010.

1. detteam

detteam All-Star

A Letter From Cavaliers Majority Owner Dan Gilbert
    Dear Cleveland, All Of Northeast Ohio and Cleveland Cavaliers Supporters Wherever You May Be Tonight;

As you now know, our former hero, who grew up in the very region that he deserted this evening, is no longer a Cleveland Cavalier.

This was announced with a several day, narcissistic, self-promotional build-up culminating with a national TV special of his "decision" unlike anything ever "witnessed" in the history of sports and probably the history of entertainment.

Clearly, this is bitterly disappointing to all of us.

The good news is that the ownership team and the rest of the hard-working, loyal, and driven staff over here at your hometown Cavaliers have not betrayed you nor NEVER will betray you.

There is so much more to tell you about the events of the recent past and our more than exciting future. Over the next several days and weeks, we will be communicating much of that to you.

You simply don't deserve this kind of cowardly betrayal.

You have given so much and deserve so much more.

In the meantime, I want to make one statement to you tonight:

"I PERSONALLY GUARANTEE THAT THE CLEVELAND CAVALIERS WILL WIN AN NBA CHAMPIONSHIP BEFORE THE SELF-TITLED FORMER ‘KING’ WINS ONE"

You can take it to the bank.

If you thought we were motivated before tonight to bring the hardware to Cleveland, I can tell you that this shameful display of selfishness and betrayal by one of our very own has shifted our "motivation" to previously unknown and previously never experienced levels.

Some people think they should go to heaven but NOT have to die to get there.

Sorry, but that's simply not how it works.

This shocking act of disloyalty from our home grown "chosen one" sends the exact opposite lesson of what we would want our children to learn. And "who" we would want them to grow-up to become.

But the good news is that this heartless and callous action can only serve as the antidote to the so-called "curse" on Cleveland, Ohio.

The self-declared former "King" will be taking the "curse" with him down south. And until he does "right" by Cleveland and Ohio, James (and the town where he plays) will unfortunately own this dreaded spell and bad karma.

Just watch.

Sleep well, Cleveland.

Tomorrow is a new and much brighter day....

I PROMISE you that our energy, focus, capital, knowledge and experience will be directed at one thing and one thing only:

DELIVERING YOU the championship you have long deserved and is long overdue....

[​IMG]

Dan Gilbert
    Majority Owner
    Cleveland Cavaliers

Cavaliers: Open Letter to Fans from Cavaliers Majority Owner Dan Gilbert

I can't believe his people allowed him to post that because it makes him sound like an idiot.

2. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

So funny, so awesome. Welcome to the LBJHC Dan!

3. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Considering that people were actually setting LeBrons jersey on fire in the street Dan kindof sounds reasonable. :pound:

It's better than the PC BS stuff Joe would've force fed us IMO.

4. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Gilbert is upset. He lost his greatest asset. I do not know why anyone would be surprised at the over the top reaction. I like it cause it great drama and he is expressing how he really feels. I do not think Stern will like it though.

5. Brap

Brap Starter

Truly epically dumb move by Gilbert.

6. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I've always had the utmost disrespect for Gilbert. He's a perfect poster child for pretty much everything wrong with the country.

But today, my opinion has climbed off the floor. A bit.

7. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Gilbert is very upset. He lost his franchise player. The value of his assett dropped considerably. People should not be surprised because of this amazing reaction. He was able to really express how he feels, and the fans will feel his sorrow, and not just cast him as a greedy owner. I really liked how PistonFan729 expressed himself and I feel the same way.

8. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I feel sorry for the Cleveland folks although they brought much of this upon themselves. Poor folks haven't won a championship there in any major sport in longer than the Lions have. That's gotta hurt...bad.

Lebron disappoints millions to get his prize. I think Miami could contend even without him.IMO it is a slam dunk right now barring a couple of huge injuries. I think 60 + for sure.

Not wishing it on him, but I wouldn't be surprised to see some psycho gun him down. Crazy world we live in. Crazy enough to put on an hour long special about Lebron last night. Crazy enough for people to watch it. Lotsa people.

9. Mr. Big Shot

Mr. Big Shot First Round Draft Pick

This is still 100% inexcusable for an owner, he has to be professional and as if this wasn't enough Gilbert also said:

``He has gotten a free pass,'' Gilbert said in a phone interview with The AP. ``People have covered up for (James) for way too long. Tonight we saw who he really is.''
    ``He quit,'' Gilbert said. ``Not just in Game 5, but in Games 2, 4 and 6. Watch the tape. The Boston series was unlike anything in the history of sports for a superstar.''

Game 5, absolutely and the others are debatable but Game 6 is another story. 27, 10, 18...either Dan Gilbert is blind or doesn't under that usually a player who quits will not post a triple double in an elimination game. LeBron was playing till the end of that game, he hit 2 back to back threes to bring the game within 4 and then it was all downward from there...

10. max

max All-Star

Thats what I thought about. IN the end it's only entertainment but there could be that one psycho fan out there with the way this has been blown up. Burning his Jersey? When has that ever happened.

11. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

If nothing else, his friends and family will be moving to the south... can't see him having the home town feel he was able to have up till now. Read an article about him being able to go to the highschool football games on a fri night. That part of his life is done, over, and never to return....

One of the reporters mentioned something else this morning that really shows to the character of james. He made a moment that he was relieved that he now didn't feel he had to score 30 points a night to have a chance to win. Can we name one true hall of fame player that would have said he was happy he didn't have the pressure on him.... It just goes to what I have stated in the past is that James may be the best Robin of all time, but he'll never a batman.

Compare that to Kobe who wanted to prove he could win the title without Shaq.

Think Jordon ever thought about after his first contract to run away from the bulls as they lost year after year to the Pistons?

While Dan could have used a bit of reflection before he made his letter, I can't disagree with any points he actually made.

12. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

I suppose just walking the streets of Cleveland and going into restaurants and other public events is going to be very uncomfortable for him just in terms of the way people interact with him. The flip side of fan adulation is fan hatred.

13. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

The guy who posted Gilberts letter is hilarious. The letter is really childish with angry guarantees about winning titles which he can't hold and stuff like that but the font really takes it over the top.

14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Besides the part about Lebron quitting in game 6 and the whole thing about the Cavs winning a Championship in the future, was there anything that Gilbert said that wasn't true?

15. Nemo

I completely support Dan Gilbert and his comments. I would take his type of drive over the current owner of the Detroit Pistons. I certainly would wish that he would Buy the Detroit Lions. With that type of owner. We have no Matt Millen problem.

16. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Nemo, it is "herself"...lol

17. Nemo

I knew that......:redface: :redface: :redface:

18. Wiggles

Wiggles First Round Draft Pick

This letter made me laugh so hard. Cleveland is in the running for worst team in the east now. Gilbert needs to go back to selling scam loans, and not preaching about loyalty. Dude made his fortune selling bad loans to people.

19. Mossberg

Mossberg Bench Warmer 3x Fantasy Champion

Dan Gilbert is entertaining the heck out of me this morning! :D

But, I don't agree with the loyalty and betrayal comments. Hell, how many owners trade players at the drop of a hat without consulting them? THERE IS NO LOYALTY IN SPORTS, whether it is the owners or players. Why should players be held to a higher standard? Pot......meet kettle.

Anybody else think that Dan will make a comment on Delonte West and Lebron's mom? LOL!

20. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm interested in seeing how the Cavs do with an actual coach in Byron Scott. I'm guessing they don't flame out like a lot of people think.