Home Dallas Mavericks Tuesday Jan 10 2012

Discussion in 'January 2012' started by roscoe36, Jan 7, 2012.

?

Who wins?

Poll closed Jan 10, 2012.
  1. Detroit

28.6%
  2. Dallas

71.4%
  1. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I watched the game. I put it down as a coaching loss at the tip-off - cause there was JJ pretending to be a starting NBA power forward.

I see one poster is agreeing with me we ought to put JJ at small forward. Wonder how long new coach will get a clue on this? Kind of tired by the way, real tired, of coaches having to come in and make like they have to reinvent the wheel. You would think Dumars would point out the non-sense the last few coaches tried and politely - but very firmly - tell the coaches not to do stuff alreay way overtried and failed already. JJ is no NBA power forward - and its really crazy to start him there.

Matter of fact, I tend to think the opposite of Dumars, like he insists on this non-sense in the first place, and won't even hire a coach who wishes to coach sensibly.

Know what you get on offense when there is actually very little scoring threat - you get turns. Instead of the other team trying to prevent your power forward from scoring on you - the other team can check this one off as done already. They can spend all their energy disrupting our outside and passing game - cause the ball getting inside to JJ is absolutely no threat to them as any guard can stop JJ from scoring around the post.

Lots of people have likened basketball to a game of chess. Our coaches opening move is to resign. Anyone notice what Dallas did immediately against backboneless front line? They made Haywood look like an all star. No, Haywood did not look like an all star - as he certainly used no moves of any description. He did not have to. Its pretty much a layup drill for any real NBA big against our front line. So he scored like a star, same result.

Why can't the team get its act together? Well, it is early. Not much really beyond what a normal preseason would last. But that is a very invalid excuse. The other teams have had no more time together than we have. And our team is returning to a large extent as it was last year. The reason it can't get its act together is because the coach continually chooses to put units out there that can't function. Or have such great impediments to functioning, on either end of the floor, that the constant and endless adjustments completely take up all the time that should be going to planning out a logical plan of attack, or a logical defense.
  2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I concur Lee. JJ has to be moved to SF....he is getting to foul trouble early and his effectiveness is being undermined sitting on the bench.

I had to drop him from my fantasy team last night... I figure none of the Pistons other Monroe are providing any positive fantasy stats this season, let alone stats to make this a winning team.
  3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It doesn't matter whether Jerebko plays power forward, small forward, or point-center. This team does not have the personnel to compete with teams like Dallas. You could make some tweaks with rotations and lineup combinations and I agree that it could help in some, small way.

In the end, though, it's like thinking that if I rotate the tires on my 1981 Buick Skyhawk that I could win the Daytona 500. The problems are so much deeper.
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

You kidding me? If Bynum ever lets anyone by him, our bigs patrol the no fly zone and usually send the ball into the stands.
  5. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Those drunk guys on the end of the Mavs bench might play better D that Bynum. Might even have some game like these two guys:

6. bricalz

bricalz First Round Draft Pick

I respectfully disagree about pinning losses on the coach just because he is playing JJ at PF.

We are losing because the personnel we have just isn't good enough as a group. Frank is, frankly IMO, doing a respectable job trying to coach these ragtag group of individual talents into playing as a team, but they have not gotten it yet. I guarantee you that should Frank have moved JJ to SF in this game, we still wouldn't have won it.

Now wait a minute, before you go all ninja on me, I happen to think JJ is suited to SF. But, we have nobody else to play PF. I know, some of you are Macklin fans, but really, seriously, Macklin? If he shows up to play, then I'm all for it.

But until then, quit pinning these blowouts on the coach. The team isn't any better for it
    Mogilny and BillLaimbeer like this.
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Here is our net production by position (offensive PER minus defensive PER):
    PG: -6.4
    SG: -5.2
    SF: -2.1
    PF: -7.1
    C: -1.4

So, we are getting slaughtered at PF. We are getting massacred at PG. We are getting destroyed at SG. We seem over matched at SF. And we are a little worse than average at C.

Moving JJ to SF is great, except that we'll get worse at PF and we'll have redundancy at SF with Prince (who is a natural 3 and has contributed to SF being our 2nd best position).
  8. linwood

linwood All-Star

What makes you so sure that a 6'10", 227lb, 52nd pick of the draft with less than 20 total NBA minutes of playing time can't shut down Dirk Nowitzki, reigning NBA Champion, Finals MVP, and 10 time AllStar?

I see you've been drinking the coach's Kool-Aid.
    Slippy and Nemo like this.
  9. bricalz

bricalz First Round Draft Pick

Like I said lin, if he shows up to play, I'm all for it. But I see you've been making Macklin's Kool-Aid and handing them out. Chill, if he comes in and shows some semblance of being able to stop Greg Monroe in practice, I'd be the first to guy lining up to push the guy to scorers' table.

The point is, stop blaming the coach. The seat isn't even warm yet. Flip and Kuester were given longer.

It's just a whole lot of downgrading in the player personnel department, IMO. But that's just me.
    linwood likes this.
  10. linwood

linwood All-Star

My extreme sarcasm may not have come through over the internet. I agree with you completely. I have nothing against Vernon Macklin, and I hope that he may turn out to be a great player. However, that's just hope, because there is no evidence either way on the kid. He has played about 4 minutes so far in the NBA. I think throwing him in a game against the MVP and possibly best PF in the NBA would be very disrespectful to the kid. Like extreme NBA hazing.
  11. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Imagine being Knight, 38 games out of high school (where he probably played 25 a year), and getting Derrick Rose.

(No idea how many college games Knight played, but someone in another thread said 38 and I believe everything I read here.)
  12. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I've noticed you pointing out Knight's assist numbers in a similar fashion to the way you used to highlight Charlie Garbage's rebounds. I absolutely agree that the kid needs to get better at entry passes and making "scoring" passes.

However, I'd hazzard to guess that Johnny freaking Stockton wouldn't rack up more than 3 or 4 dimes per night with this poop group. Aside from Greg Monroe, there really isn't a guy on the team who will score off of a pass.

Throw a pass to...

Ben (underperforming my contract amount) Gordon? - He's 'Ben' missing more than he's been making.

Tay - He's gonna take your pass, throw six pump fakes, spin around and back his man down only to either dribble it off of his foot or toss it to the ref after the shot clock expires.

Jeb? - they don't call his # very much and he gets his points off of broken plays (there's a lot of these), rebounds or loose balls. He has good hands and is a solid cutter. Knight should throw it to him!

Ben Wallace? - ...lol

J-Max? - maybe when his shot falls every 20-30 games or so

Stuck? - you cant make a pass to a guy that already has the ball (Ben Gordon does this a bit too)

Austin Powerless? - for some reason, he's freaking terrified to shoot the ball. Daye's also 6 or 7 pump fakes away from every shot that he even considers.

Charlie? - (sorry. ...I'm so bitter that he's still on the team that I can't even comment)

Bynum? - I'm convinced that he's simply unable to get a shot off unless he warms up with 10-15 minutes of vigorous dribbling first.

Nique's Nephew? - ...ok, Wilk seems to be able to grasp the whole catch and shoot concept. If he could shoot like Rip, it might amount to a few assists.

Vern? - gotta play him to feed him.

I usually go against the whole "put a guy on another team and his numbers would go up" argument but the 2012 Detroit Pistons are an extreme case.
    ...I think Brandon Knight would be getting at least 4 assists per game if he were on the Celtics - LOL!
  13. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I thought that your sarcasm was funny:goodstuff:
  14. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

This team is making the extra pass. Unfortunately, its usually the extra pass too many. How many times does the open guy pass to the contested guy for a last second shot?
  15. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

In the last game they mostly just passed to the opponents and eliminated the extra pass among themselves.
    BallDon'tLie likes this.
  16. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Buy V-Mack a month of Holger Geschwinder and he'd be the best player on the team.
  17. linwood

linwood All-Star

I remember a lot of talk about bringing in Patrick Ewing as a big-man coach last year. did we get a big-man coach? Anyone know who he is?
  18. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I think that Jake Voskuhl was supposed to be some kind of mentor but...
  19. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

Tay is being paid for his leadership considerations.
  20. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Joe was thinking outside the box when he spent a late 2nd rounder on a big-man coach in V-Mack.