Home Dallas Mavericks Tuesday Jan 10 2012

Discussion in 'January 2012' started by roscoe36, Jan 7, 2012.

?

Who wins?

Poll closed Jan 10, 2012.
  1. Detroit

28.6%
  2. Dallas

71.4%
  1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

7:30 PM EST

TV: FS Detroit / NBA league Pass
    Radio: 97.1 The Ticket
  2. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

Dallas by 11.............
  3. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

4. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

JJ against the defending Finals MVP. This will be a non-contest. Dirk may just sit out the entire second half.
  5. S.J.

S.J. Bench Warmer Forum Donor

If Dirk sit out the second half will be because of foul trouble.

Anyway, Dallas by 12.

And I might predict too that Monroe will have a great night scoring. More than 20 points.
  6. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Joe needs to sign Walt Herrmann to a 10-day.
    S.J. likes this.
  7. Nemo

He could really play Dirk in his heyday............
  8. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I'm not sure why, but I'm sort of feeling a Piston win tonight.

I'm also sensing there might be some weird/awkward dance between Charles G and Austin Daye during the Rob Base performance.
  9. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Can you get a ticket to the halftime-show only?
  10. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I changed my mind.

Dirk 1.0 vs Dirk 2.0. Dirk 2.0 prevails tonight.
  11. Nemo

Pistons have lost 4 in a row by at least 16 points.
    I guess we now measure progress by seeing how many single digit losses they can string together....
    .............before they get blown out again.
  12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Prince: -29 in 22 minutes. 2 points, 1 rebound, 2 assists, 0 steals, 0 blocks, 0 fouls, 1 turnover. Some strong leadership from our vet.

Will Bynum: +6 in 25 minutes. 20 points, 2 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 steal.

Anybody know if Stuckey's groin and Chillanueva's ankle are really sore? Maybe Joe has a crazy trade package brewing where he's going to make another GM look foolish?
  13. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Story of the game : Turnovers..The Pistons had 20 of them most from lazy passes that the Mavs picked off at will, and the Mavs seemed to turn everyone of them into points....especially in the first half. We had more turnovers than assists (17). Brandon Knight was the big culprit with 6 of them. He had only 2 assists for the Pistons, but believe me assisted on at least 12-15 points for the Mavs. Give him credit for hitting all 4 of his treys. He will improve with play.

Vernon Macklin looked good in garbage time with a block and two steals. I would try out there in a place of Ben/Max and see if he can learn on the run. What else have we got to lose?

JJ trying to guard Dirk worked in 2009 and almost worked tonight but he got 2 quick fouls and we had to see Max log 28 mins . Daye returned to try to help Knight with the offense in the 4th, but was still rusty on his shot, but took it to the hoop and was able to get some points from the line.

Will Bynun finished on a spurt as he and Macklin scored the Pistons last 8 points to avoid the Pistons losing their 5th straight game by 16 of more points.

Larry Frank looks frustrated out there.....but we know he has been through this before.....so remind me why he was chosen over Laimbeer again?
  14. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Five in a row. They just got hammered by Dallas. Brandon with six! turnovers in 36 minutes, 3 of which were in the first quarter. Everyone who played had turnovers, Big Ben and Macklin aside. No one is going to win while committing 20 turnovers, especially a team as lacking in talent and depth as this one.

The Good:
    Greg's still good on offense, though it's notable that he went scoreless in the first half. He really, really needs help inside. Make it happen Stern!
    Knight's got his shot back.
    Daye looks a little better. Needs a lot more work on his decision-making (had 3 turnovers today, second most on the team in only 17 minutes)

Bad:
    Will Bynum scored 20 points in 25 minutes...taking 14 shots. Most on the team. In 10 less minutes than Brandon Knight. For reference, Knight - 9 FGA, Monroe and JJ - 6 FGA each, BG with 7.
    Daye still can't buy a shot.
    Lawrence Frank insists on playing Brandon at the 2 alongside Will Ballhog. That's not going to accomplish anything.
    Again, 3 on 3 fast break with 2 big guys, one of whom is Greg Monroe, and WB never even looks at him. He just barges in there and takes a wild shot. :deadhorse:
    Tayshaun takes an eternity to decide what to do. I counted at least 5 times when he'd stop for a sec like he was shot with a freeze gun then jack up an out of rhythm shot with 3 seconds left on the shot clock. Yeah, great leadership there. Daye has picked up this habit.
    The defense was pretty much nonexistent all game. Mavs were getting open jumpers or layups all night.
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

By the way, Brian Cardinal was -28 for the Mavs in their 14 points win. He played 20 minutes and had 1 point.

So, for 20 minutes out of 48, we were up 28 points on these guys. For the other 28 minutes, I guess that means we were down 42.

And when you look at Dirk's +/-, you can see it. He was +42 in 28 minutes. Cardinal must have subbed in for him, eh? That's one of the most extreme +/- stats I've ever seen, and it was in very limited minutes for Dirk. He might be good at his job.
  16. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

I have a hard time giving Will any credit when he so consistently waits until garbage time to "turn it on".

The crazy part about all of the turnovers is that they aren't even on fancy plays. It's just passing around the perimeter or into the post. The inability to pass into the post really killed Greg's game tonight.
  17. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

I agree. The offense is just plain sloppy, with absolutely no cohesion at either end. Bynum is a 7th-8th man at best. They also take forever to get into their sets. More often than not, Knight would jog up the floor and it would take 3-4 more seconds before anyone even starts moving. I feel like I'm watching the same set play over and over. Like groundhog basketball day or something. I believe that's partly why passes get picked off so easily, the other team can read the play way too easily and just anticipate the pass. I saw Jason Terry do exactly that from the get go tonight. It's where 2-3 of Knight's TOs came from.
  18. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I see the games on TV, but thats it..I don't see the post game interviews with the coach or players. What are they saying? What does Larry say?

This team is last in offensive structure and I pretty sure in the bottom five in fundamentals. Only Stuckey and Bynum have the balz to attack the rim, but in most instances they forget they have teammates. Everyone else is tentative and all of the excessive dribbling and passing around the perimeter is leading to TO's and rush shot selection with less than 3 seconds left on the 24 sec clock. They tend to get their turnovers in bunches and seem to always come out not focused which leads to scoring droughts that allow the opponents to stretch out leads that are impossible to overcome, no matter how much time is left in the game....

Looks like they are on pace to win 12 games, so at least we may have a shot at one of the first three draft picks.
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I just showed Bynum to highlight the crap that Tay is pumping out. He just signed an extension that few thought he should get and this is the effort that he comes with? Bynum's effort and passion is 5 times that of Tay, which his physical gifts are just a fraction of Tay's.

Bynum is doing everything he can out there and is limited by being 5'10 abouts. Tay can take one dribble from the arc and dunk it.

He's just having a disaster year so far when he should have come out blazing.

Tay should have made this his team since he chose to stick around this situation. He's waiting for it to become Knight's team or Monroe's team it looks like.
  20. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

tough to watch this team right now...not much else to say about this one