Home Dallas Mavericks Saturday, February 22, 2014

Discussion in 'February 2014' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

vs Dallas Mavericks

Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 7:30 PM Eastern

Palace of Auburn Hills, Detroit, MI

LOCAL TV: FS Detroit
    NATIONAL TV:

RADIO: 97.1 FM The Ticket

GO PISTONS!

2. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I came here to this thread because there aren't any red flags yet.
    Dallas has beaten the Pistons 5 straight. They come off a big victory against the Nets.
    Our beloved Pistons were able to close against the Hawks last night.
    Do the Pistons have some Mojo...Or do they switch to Mo Crow....

Pistons 101 - Dallas 124

3. Susie914

Susie914 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I have to record this one and watch later. Hopefully I can keep my eyes off my phone so I don't know who's winning. (It's gonna be hard)

4. Woody

Woody All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Leave the phone home.

5. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

[​IMG]

linwood likes this.
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Dalembert looks like shaq when we zone up.

7. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Lets start off with how Singler did. In the first quarter, Dallas enjoyed a nice long stretch of burning Singler to pull ahead of us. First, Singler, pretending to be an NBA shooting guard could not stay with a guard. Go figure. Of course he can not stay with any guard, since he is not a guard. So the brain trust, which is bankrupted apparently, brought Stuckey in, and moved Singler to small forward. Only Vince Carter was playing small forward for them. And of course, Singler is not fast enough, strong enough, or anything enough to guard Carter. And on offense, mostly they had Calderon, their weakest defender, shadow Singler just the slightest to make sure he could not get a wide open 3. Now, late in the half, Carter fell down, leaving Singler, and Singler did hit a triple, his only score for the first half. A first half where, as usual, the other team got to basically play 5 for them, 4 for us, most of the first half. Thngs were adjusted in the 2nd half to hide Singler better on D, and make more of an effort to make them guard him. But never in this game did Singler actually find anyone he could guard, at all. He should not have been in the game.

Fortunately, Smith could not miss in the first half, scoring 24 while only missing 2 shots. So we stayed close even though our coach decided to only use 4 players much of the half.

Bynum had a pretty good game, for him. He created lots of points. 17 for him, and 8 assists. But Bynum was negative for the game. You got to play some defense to make the points hold up. And with either Bynum or Singler on the floor at all times, coach made sure that never happened. It did not help that Drums kept getting into foul trouble and never got it going.

Smith scored 32, on an assortment of shots, and played pretty good D. Monroe had a 17/17 game, playing very heavy minutes. Jennings stunk it up a bit on his shooting, but only took 7 shots. Which is what he is suppose to be doing, making sure the ball is getting to Monroe or Smith, who were scoring readily.

Stuckey tried too many outside shots to do us any good. Pope played a lot of good D, but was wasted as per usual playing out of position at small forward. JJ got some small forward minutes too. Like the last coach, this one decides not to bring our front line back to end the game. I know Drums had five fouls, but you are not going to win with Singler out there as part of your front line.

Dallas is a weak team. But they have a coach who exploits your weaknesses well. We all know that. When he was our coach, Carlisle had an excellent record when playing a team the 2nd time in the season. He makes adjustments. Our coach, apparently pays no attention, to pretty much anything. We have the players to win, just not a coach who knows how to win, or even cares as far as I can tell to this point.

Lastly, in chat last night, a couple of us were bemoaning the old days when Piston Basketball was D. Miss those old days. Having Bynum and Singler play as much as they are playing, we look extremely bad on D. Totally not needed. Lets go in a different direction, like if you can not play D, you simply do not play, even if you hustle like crazy, or even hit some shots.

8. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If this rule was enforced on the Pistons, who would be left to play?

Menace likes this.
  9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Despite Josh Smith 24 pts in the first half, the Pistons still found themselves on the short end of a 64-54 deficit. I made a comment at halftime that if they wanted to win they would have to shut down the mavs open three ball attempts and tighten up of the defense. I also took any bets if Josh would score more than 35 points. He was held to only 8 points in the second half finishing with 32 points.

Well the defense held them to 49 points in the second half, but when it really counted....the last 6 minutes of the game, the Mavs were scoring and we turning the ball over. Bynum, who led the guards in scoring and assists, had two costly turnovers down the stretch and neither Moose, nor Smith could get a shot off before getting tied up and turning over the ball. The Pistons only scored 4 points the last 4 minutes of the game.

Stuckey continued to put up little defensive effort and he and Jennings scored a combined 11 points on 3-16 shooting. Dre was in foul trouble most of the game and was held to 8 points and probable season low three boards. The Piston could have used him down the stretch when Monte Ellis seem to have the clear path to the bucket. Plus with Dre only getting 19+ minutes, the Mavs dominated the boards on both ends of the court.

No heroics tonight from Singler, but Pope seemed more active tonight and got some stats on the board for a change to add to his legacy.

Another key stat that did the Pistons in was the three point shooting where we were only 2-11 compared to 8/23 for the Mavs.

Both Charlotte and Atlanta won tonight, and the tanking Knicks lost, so no gain on the 8th and playoff spot or on the 8th and final lottery pick

Lee356 likes this.
  10. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

The Pistons played hard.

The Mavs, like virtually every WC team against DET, had too much ball movement and shooting.

I enjoyed Dirk's 4th Q shots.

11. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

I fell asleep ala Ernie somewhere in the end of the 1st quarter and couldn't amass the the energy to rewatch the game today.

I just want this team to go on a run, I don't care if it is a run of wins or a run of losses.

Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  12. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

looking for some positives:

I stayed awake the entire game.

Play of the game...Bynum drives and then dishes back to Smith for the dunk.

KCP came out of hibernation.

Bynum played well. He ended up with 8 assists and mixed up his shots in 32 minutes.

Friday I was driving from Saginaw to AA to visit my son at UM. I passed a huge billboard with Josh Smith on it. I think they waited until after the trade deadline to put it up.

Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  13. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Jennings has his flaws on defense, but he is quick and is not the worst defender you could put on the floor. Its better than Bynum, who is too short to affect a play regardless of how quick he is. Should Dumars have traded for a point guard who is weak on D. Nope. Mistake, in my opinion. But I do not think Jennings is all that bad on D to keep him from playing on this team. He dishes a lot of assists, and when players get by him, we have a pretty good front line to back him up. We have had, here and there, very good defensive runs with Jennings on the floor.

Pope should play the whole game. His defense is that good. Harrellson has not looked bad on D. Monroe just hauled down 17 boards last night. That is D. He does not always hustle enough out to shooters, some of that for lack of ability. But he is really not bad a defender, and adds a very good ability to score off postups. And again, we have seen here and there really good defensive runs with him in the game. Its not like the other team routinely picks on Monroe for their scoring.

Drummond, while not having the experience yet, obviosly is quite a defender with his rebounding and blocks, not to mention his steals. Another player who should only come out of the game in case of foul trouble.

Mitchell, from what we have seen in the summer league, is at least as good as Monroe on D, and probably nearer to Smith. Lets see. Rather than play a guy like Singler as part of our front line who we know for sure can not play D there - or anywhere else in the NBA. Or JJ at power forward. That does not work at all. Lets try Mitchell.

Siva can play D. For now, he should be our backup point. Not Bynum. And not Stuckey, who finds getting around a pick as difficult as turning water into gold. I am not saying Stuckey could not play some. If Stuckey can come in and continually get to the hoop, draw fouls, make free throws, while happening to be able to make it hold up at the other end, hey, he could play near all the point guard minutes some nights. If he does not have that going on, he does not play hardly at all. Give him a bit of a chance each game, see how he is doing.

Smith can play D pretty darn well.

We should get English back on the roster, and dump CV. We need a good defender to come in at shooting guard when Pope gets into foul trouble.

JJ is not that bad on D, when playing at small forward. A whole lot better than Singler there, since Singler in no way has the size and strength to part of any NBA front line. Now, I would not have JJ on the roster really, as I believe there are a myriad of better small forwards available, who we should be playing at small forward before JJ.

So, in all:

Start Jennings, Pope, Smith, Monroe, Drummond.

Bench: English, a few of new signings, Siva, Mitchell, Harrellson, Stuckey.

Gone, let go, are Bynum, Singler, CV, Datome, JJ

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  14. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

How exactly does the sieve that is the Calderon and Ellis backcourt hold Jennings to only 2 points and 3 assists?

15. Menace

Menace Bench Warmer

What happend to the "Monroe is to slow and misses lateral quickness"?

Since when is Summer League a comparisson to the NBA league. I remember how well Austin Daye was doing in Summer League, He has a great carreer now at the end of the bench of the Spurs. Just like he did with his previous teams. Also Mitchell wasn't doing all that great in D-League, startiug 5 out of 6, and D League is nothing compared to the NBA. Should he get a shot, yes i think so. But don't you think if he was all that great the coach wouldn't let him play? (and please don't go into the coach being biased thing).

So the second unit has no scoring from the point and our outside scoring gets even worse? Plus the fact that the defence can clog the middle now (Siva has no reliable outside shot) which leaves less space for Smith, Monroe, Drummond to operate.

So it's the same starting 5 as most part of the season which lead us to this great W-L Record? Or was our starting 5 winning the game untill Singler came in? And then all was lost?

16. roscoe36

I think it is safe to say that Pope is pretty terrible.

17. BillLaimbeer

I think Pope could be okay. I wouldn't say "terrible", but I'm not ready to play him 48 mpg like Lee.

brofmfa likes this.
  18. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

JD certainly thinks he's better than Burke.
    We know this because JD follows due diligence since the Darko situation happened.

19. roscoe36

... if his teammates trusted him enough to pass him the ball.

brofmfa and The Panda like this.
  20. BillLaimbeer

KCP had been improving his shooting:

November: 34.0% FG
    December: 41.1% FG
    January: 47.3% FG

Then, Mo pulled the plug on him.