Dallas Jan. 23rd, 7:00 PM

Discussion in 'January 2009' started by Dlev59, Jan 19, 2009.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

YOU SHOULD'VE GONE WITH BIG FONT! IT'S MORE POWERFUL.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I was no fan of Flip, but it's hard to see how anyone could get any less out of this roster. Really. The Pistons were the poster boys for underachievement before. They built that temple to unfulfilled promise.

They have now discovered the secret basement in the building.

I want Mike to be great. I want to win a title. Hell, even until the end, when I absolutely couldn't stand Flip or CB, I wanted them to win.

Sometimes I feel like I should be running the Pistons, perhaps not on merit, but certainly on heart. Then again, the old timers probably remember Dick Vitale having near heart attacks on the sidelines at Cobo. There was a guy who wanted to win so bad, he nearly killed himself with stress, first at UofD then with the Pistons.
  3. roscoe36

I like to save the big font and colour for the "game chat is open" posts.
  4. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Well from here on in, I, for one, will only go with small font 14 minutes a night...

oops, i did it again. Maybe it doesn't really matter what size font i use, if I can't get my fonts to give their all.
  5. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I really don't know if any coach can win with this. How do you win when your best move is to not play one of your better players? Is he really supposed to win playing Rip 20 mpg? To say it is for the betterment of the team will only get him so far.

VJ worked off the bench because he was a back-up. If you added MJ in his place it would not have. Mike Finley can legitimately play the 3 if needed and so can Ginobli. In any event Finley isn't looking for 35-40 mpg.

If I am only looking at this year then I blame Dumars way before Curry.
  6. roscoe36

I'll buy that. Although an established coach, could cut AI to 40, and Rip to 30 and make it work.

My frustrations aren't even at the guards. Who is the 4 or 5? Every game it's different. Well, he's got the same players week in and week out, so I'm not sure why he is shuffling the puzzle game to game.

Ok, I'll buy that too.
  7. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

It's true that a leader is only as good as the people they lead.

I still hold out hope that Curry is working towards making our young guys better in his own way, and it just doesn't happen to fit our personal ideas of what he should or should not be doing.

The sad thing is, by the time we find out if Curry ever truly succeeds in making any of these players better, it will likely be in hindsight while Curry is working his next job.

Man, that's been my argument for yeeeeaaars. :eyebrows:

Nevertheless, the other aspects can never be overlooked. One cannot circumvent free will. People cannot truly be made to do anything they really don't want to do. They can be "made" to do things they would not normally do, but in the end they only go through the motions and do just enough to get by. It's only when a highly motivated individual wants to do something and refuses to settle for mediocrity that records get broken and people actually exceed expectations.

Finding that certain unique something in every individual is definitely the realm of the strategic and technical, the emotional and psychological.

You pose a lot of very valid points roscoe.

I'm going to revisit that quote about the transition year.

When It first came to my attention I felt that it was meant to be used in the context of explaining the change in our teams style of play.

We both know that while Curry is possessing of an excellent basketball mind, he doesn't come off like he's going to write the next great novel or split the atom any time soon. Personally, I feel that this belies how intelligent he actually is, so people often take what he says at face value.

I think he just used the wrong term. I don't think he meant transition as in rebuilding phase.

Either way I'll go listen to it again.
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

This is the same dynamic that was causing our Olympic Team to lose against Kazakstan.

Come to think of it, AI was on that team too. He and Lebron were benched for showing up late to practice. They later lost to Peurto Rico.
  9. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

So what you are saying is bring back Carlos.......
    :laugh:
  10. Ernie the Slow Adult

I still have nightmares of Borat shredding our D.

At least the Olympic teams had the expectation of playing limited minutes.
  11. Ernie the Slow Adult

I share this as well. When the big "move" of Rip to the bench came about and Amir was back starting Curry basically says it will work against everyone but the elite teams of BOS, LA and CLE. Huh, what are they even playing for then?

I can give Curry a pass for the AI/Rip thing, but to not have a starting line-up by this point in the season is suspect.
  12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Hey, that's a pretty good point.
  13. Ernie the Slow Adult

Thinking about this more the only way this works is to have AI as the backup point. I know some other folks have pointed this out, but Bynum has got to go. I don't think Rip can play the 3 against a women's team.
  14. HelloIDistance

HelloIDistance First Round Draft Pick

I think he meant that if they played BOS, LA or CLE Kwame would start instead of Amir.
  15. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i tend to agree with AI as the backup point. if AI can go 40+ minutes a game, isn't he a better option to leave in the game than bynum?
  16. Ernie the Slow Adult

Exactly. Why tilt your line-up to beat the flotsam of the L?
  17. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

So Max was not effective in the 2nd quarter when he was taken out for AI? Sorry IMO no dice. Defense is more important than points. And Tay was not exactly lighting up Dirk (or lighting it up at the 4). If Curry feels this way, then he needs to re-evaluate his coaching philosophy. CLE seems to being doing fine without Z and playing the non-scoring duo Wallace/V together.

KB played well when he got minutes. Max was doing the best job out of anyone on Dirk when he was pulled and it was a 2 pt game. All our bigs are more effective than Tayshaun at the 4. Every single one. Did Curry like watching Dirk post up Tay repeatedly. This was a better strategy than Max to him ?

We have always been a guard oriented team but we actually had a PG who was capable of spreading the offense around. Our offense has never looked this putrid. Someone nailed it before; Stuckey and AI seem to be in a competition for who can put up more shots with Tay occassionally steals the ball from them in an attempt to get his own shot. We all complain about Sheed's offensive game. Do we even pass to him? more than maybe 3 times a game?

This is Curry's clinging to small ball like a security blanket and not trying to offend AI by giving him his requisite 38 minutes, and Rip by taking him off the floor when he's playing well.

We don't have the greatest bigs, but we do have depth and every single one has their strengths and can contribute something to the team. The problem in this game wasn't Dirk lighting up Amir, it was the defense on everybody else, and Curry's refusal to keep a 2/PF/C in the game at the same time.

DAL was shooting lights out, and it was still a game because we managed to not let it get away from us defensively. Our personnel requires us to be a great defensive team but i don't see a problem with that. These last few years in the PO's scoring has not been the main problem. And every year our response has been to work on the offense.
  18. Terry T

Terry T First Round Draft Pick

38 minutes with no defensive intensity because you don't have five guys working together to defend.
  19. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Neither one of these were my opinions.
  20. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

So if someone disagrees with you they are not listening ? Great logic.

2 changes ? Stuckey is now our starting PG. We traded a major piece for another major player AI who we are having a difficult time fitting in. Amir is now our starting PF. We depend on players like Bynum, AA, and Max much more. Rip is now coming off the bench. Hermann was actually a rotation player in the beginning of the season. KB started earlier this year, and we are playing musical chairs with our line-up. 2 changes? um yea.

--------

Wow. If this is what you think i don't know what to tell you. The PG is one of the most important positions. Ask DEN. Flip had the benefit of a stable line-up that already knew how to play with each other and played them as many minutes as he could. That doesn't take alot of skill.

Stop telling me to get over CB. I can pull up the posts where you talk about Ben being the reason for the demise of our team. So much for the one player doesn't make that much of a difference theory.

I agree. That DAL game was very entertaining.

CLE does it.