1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Dallas Feb. 3rd 2:30 PM

Discussion in 'February 2008' started by Dlev59, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Dyess does not get Ben's numbers. Ben did a lot more than rebound. He was among the league leaders in both blocks and steals as well. Ben put fear into the hearts of anyone even thinking about driving the lane on us. Dyess sends out invitations with flowers, and everyone drops in, as invited and has a great time.

2. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Given that we are second in points allowed and 3rd in defensive FG percentage it must be entirely due to Sheed and Prince, because we know it ain't primarily due to our guards and now we know that Dyess has nothing to do with it.

Based on this we can expect to see both Prince and Sheed make NBA all-defense 1st team this year. Thanks for the heads up, I can't wait to see Sheed's interview when he gets the award.

:hoops:

3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm pretty sure Chauncey has the best defensive #'s on the team with Dyess in 2nd place by a very narrow margin.

If Dyess got a little more respect from the refs, he'd truly be a defensive force.

4. buddahfan

You could be correct on C-Bill. I haven't checked the numbers, but I do know that he gets beat an awful lot on penetration plays but that may be by design of the defense, expecting one of the bigs to rotate over to stop the penetration.

5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

We do defend the 3-point line very well, so that could be the case. Overplay the shooters and let our mobile bigs clean up the drives.

6. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

First off it's obvious that we were a better team with a 29 year old Ben Wallace. The things Ben used to do for us were extrordinary. I don't want to knock Ben, but I'm sick and tired for the lack of appreciation that some folk around here have for Antonio McDyess. The guy is a very consistent shooter (FG%= 49%), he battles inside, he gives 100% everynight, and BTW as of late he's been grabbing about 12 rebs/game. Go look at the NBA stats and see who else in the league is snagging 12 boards these days and see if they're also getting 8.4ppg on 49% FG shooting, AS THE 5TH OPTION!!!!!!!

7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The best thing about the 29 year old Wallace, besides his enormous impact on the game, was that we weren't paying him anything close to his market value. We had a great deal.

The Bulls, well, they have the opposite situation going on. The one thing that they did right is that they made his contract reduce over time. Maybe it will be possible to unload it next year.

8. max

max All-Star

Depends on which Ben we are talking about. The guy from 4 years ago who lead the league in blocks and rebounds? Then yes I would agree. Dyess for Ben right now? Would anyone make that deal?

Yes it was a great game. I don't think teams know what to do with or expect from Stucky and Amir quit yet. In Laker game they were probably wondering who Amir Johnson was. Nice to see Maxiel with his hops back.

9. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Dyss is a good player and has a role on this team. I like him in certain situations later in the game when defenses get tired. He can pop the jumper as he spreads the floor.

But he is not a center. Playing him at center creates a series of potential match up problems for us. In a long series, say against the Cavs, Dyss cannot match Z and he is not mobile enough to even bother Le Bron on the drive. Sheed, who is already overworked, has to take on a bigger role. Sheed may also get in foul trouble as a result.

If Dyss is scoring and spreading the opposition defense, his contribution can overcome defensive liabilities. But, if he cannot score, we would be better off with a big body in the middle getting major minutes. Anyway,I question how well Dyss would hold up in a long series as our primary center. I also question having Dyss in the last few minutes of a game--I prefer Maxiel for defense, a real big (that we don't have on the roster) or even the young Amir who will move to the driver.

Yes, Dyss rebounds but so would Amir. And I don't think Amir can handle the big centers which is why I am hoping Joe makes a move. Maxiel is short but plays big. Taken together, Maxiel and Dyss, we are undersized. This all leaves a lot for Sheed to do. Sheed is our only true big as Amir is still very young. That is worrisome for a playoffs situation where we can get worn down.

As far as Ben, I don't think he gets his due in the Piston nation. Ben made the Pistons early on when the team started to get good. He could create havoc as a one-man defensive roaming menace. He was incredible in his prime...

10. linwood

linwood All-Star

I totally agree. Ben was incredible, and a big, big part of the Pistons success. Contracts and money aside, having Ben and Rasheed Wallace was the Real twin towers.

I don't know how the Pistons could do it, but I would like to see them pick up Jeff Foster from the Pacers. That guy can grab a ton of rebounds against big centers, and step in when Dice can't get it done.

11. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Linwood,

I thought about Foster too. We don't need a great player to take some minutes in that center position. But it would be nice to have the option to put in a big if the situation called for it.

Yes, Ben in his prime and a younger Sheed together--didn't the team get something like 17 blocks in game 2 vs. Indiana the championship year?

The best keep secret about Sheed in the past: He is a big time defender.

12. buddahfan

Didn't someone on the forum start a "Dyess Appreciation Thread" I think it got about 10 posts before it got moved down off the front page due to lack of interest.

13. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Often times I wonder if some folk ever watch other teams other than the Pistons. It's as if folk think that there are tree's that grow 7'ers with mobility and an inside post game. Y'all really, I mean really don't appreciate what we have here, especially when it comes to Antonio McDyess, today's Piston fan is so spoiled and disillusioned these days its not even funny.

14. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Prince and Sheed are that good. And Rip and Billups are pretty darn good too at defense. Still, all season long, our starters themselves have had continuous problems on D. Go look what happens when Maxiell gets to play. Our field goal percentage against drops dramatically.

Yes, Dyess is the problem as far as our first unit. That does not mean he does not have a good game defensively now and then, depending on who he is matched up against, but those games are rare. Further, of late, he can barely move for being too tired, and he particularly plays badly even compared to what he was doing earlier in the season. A lot of the problem could be helped by simply having Dyess play less.

15. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Dyess is their strongest rebounder by far. He gets reounds that nobody else can get in traffic, save for Sheed on rare occasions.

Dyess' shot is way more lethal when he receives a pass from the inside. Lately they have been feeding him off of one pass from the top of the key. He doesn't get the same space off of those.

The All-Defensive team is kind of a joke. Sheed is a better defender than any of the other 4 starters on their best night. If he scored 20 a night he'd have made the team by now. Billups is a lot more inconsistent in the effort he puts out on D.

If it is indeed the teams strategy to let the guards penetrate, what would DET's guards responsibility be on D?

16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Stop the shot. Guard bigger players on switches. Keep the other team's guards from posting up. Get defensive rebounds when our bigs keep them alive.

You guys are living in the past and comparing our defense to our old defense. Nobody plays like that anymore because it doesn't get rewarded. They are calling the games differently. Within the framework of the new NBA, our defense is just as good as our old defense was.

17. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

Bingo..... everybody talks about how the bad boy defense would have handled james last year in the playoffs... heck we would be lucky if we had one starter left by the 4th quarter the way they call the games now compared to then....

This is the pattern of the NBA.. Detroit becomes the best defense team in the league, league changes rules so our way won't work.... lol

this team is a great defensive team in todays rules, and will only get better as the kids learn to play within the rules and start to get a little respect from the refs.

18. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

But you are doing none of those things if he strategy is to let the other teams guard go by you. There is no one to switch with. You switch on a pick/screen & roll.

The Spurs managed to play D on LeBron. He didn't look like the same player. Saying you can't because of the rule changes is a cop out in my opinion.

19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm not saying that we are actively trying to let their guards by us. I think that we just have big guards. There are pro and cons to that. The cons are that we allow some penetration and don't get a lot on the offensive end either. The pros are plentiful. We are a team without a true center that is 2nd in all around defense and 6th in all around offense. And our guards are a huge part of that.

No other PG can post CB up. His height and strength allow him to take a lot of 3's away from his opponent and out muscle them for rebounds and loose balls. On the other end, his 3-point shot is one of our greatest weapons. Usually when CB gets inside, it is because the other team is so paranoid about him shooting that they overplay him. That is when he draws fouls too.

Could we improve and go from the 2nd best defensive team to the 1st best if CB and Rip were able to stay in front of their man? Probably not. Boston's edge is too much.

20. buddahfan

The Spurs played defense on Lebron because the officials called the games differently.

Now you may choose to disagree and that is your privilege. If you do however disagree, we have no basis from which to discuss this, which is of course okay.