Dallas Feb. 3rd 2:30 PM

Discussion in 'February 2008' started by Dlev59, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

1st half:

Sheed starts out working the post, airball, turnover, miss. Then he hits a pair of triples. Later, he does get us a basket by giving the ball up from the post to a cutter. Then later, he does score in the post, and hits a short jumper later. And another triple. Did his post game help us any? Well, it got us in the right mind set. Tay came on to do some good damage in the post. And, of course, just as important, all this trying to go inside meant few fast break ops for Dallas.

Defensively, we made them miss 16 times in a row starting from shortly before Maxiell came into the game (Dyess got his 2nd foul with 4 minutes left in the 1st quarter) to well into the 2nd quarter. We went up to a 26-17 lead. Pretty much all of it went away though due to us letting Hayes play, in a game where he has no place being. If you can't guard anyone, you should not be in the game.

Hayes did hit one 3. But who knows, just maybe whoever took his minutes could have made a bucket too. For certain, they could not have done any worse defensively. Dallas attacked Hayes from the moment he entered the game, and it scrambled our defense into non-existance.

Tay came back in for Hayes and we ended the half with a decent run and are up 6 at the half. This is a low scoring game, as Rip has not scored yet. In all, holding Dallas to 38 points in the half is some pretty good D.

Stuckey came in with 2 minutes left in the 1st quarter. He missed a couple of outside shots. He drove in a lot with mixed results. Not a lot of scoring. But Dallas was not hitting any shots while he was in for his first 5 minutes. he can play some good D.

Amir Johnson joined the subs to start the 2nd quarter. But Amir sat with 3 fouls just 3 minutes into the quarter. Not good, but again, Dallas did not score a bucket while Amir was in so it was not all bad. (Although, we did get into the penalty way too fast, and it hurt us later in the quarter.)

Billups came in for Rip shortly into the 2nd quarter, and played shooting guard while Stuckey continued to play the point. Afflalo did play some minutes later in the quarter though. (I think about 4 minutes in all. I don't think he took a shot.)
    Good game so far. I predict we will not see Hayes in the 2nd half.

2nd half. Well, Hayes did play, not that it mattered that much. We had complete control of the game to go into the 4th quarter. Anyone else notice who was out there during that 10-0 run to end the 3rd quarter? Afflalo. Nice to see him first guard off the bench after a first half where he did not enter until late. Anyway, Hayes did not do too bad defensively in the 2nd half, or maybe we just found him better matchups. And he hit some shots.

Stuckey just continued to drive in again and again. It resulted in a career high 11 points for him. Nice game overall on offense, and good solid D. Oh, and the one drive, he came from the right and layed it up right over Nowitzski. Stuckey got some serious talent.

Yeah, Amir did not get in the rotation in the 2nd half. And this despite us having a big lead to enter the 4th. Not a good thing. I'll let it pass if its just once. In all, our four main youngsters we want to see get minutes, got minutes. Lots of them. Can't complain majorly on that ground today.

Maxiell is missing his outside shots all the sudden, but just like last game, he did plenty, especially on defense. When called upon to guard Dirk or Josh, he did very well indeed. Maxiell also tore up on the boards and got some slams.

Amir did get quite a few bounds, and a block, while in.

Rip put together a bit of scoring in that 3rd quarter, all of his 10 points I think. (Did he play any in the 4th - don't think so.) Rip also had 7 assists. Rip was scoreless in the first half, but I don't think he took that many shots either.

Who was shooting the ball then? Some guy named Sheed. He burned Dirk early and often in the post in the 2nd half. Lets call the first half a warmup for him. Between Tay and Sheed, we had plenty of postup power today.

Billups had a so so game. Of course, he did not play in the 4th quarter as Stuckey finished out this blowout win.

Fabio did look pretty active on D. His drive in looked great. Considering he sat the whole game until garbage time, hitting his 3 try impressed me.

I see Murray was dressed? I hope this does not spell some kind of trouble brewing. (No Brezec)(Trade maybe?)

To those who think Stuckey is not a point guard just because he drives in a lot. Hey, as a point guard, you do have to establish your offensive game. Once, if ever, the other team stops your game, then you pass off. I would not worry about Stuckey. He seems to pass the ball and pass it well whenever someone gets open under the basket.

GO PISTONS!!!!!

To answer a question I just read: Dallas was trying to go inside, but we just would not let them. They ended up settling for outside shots, and even these were heavily contested. A darn good defensive effort. (If you leave out the bad stretch for Hayes in the 2nd quarter, it would have been one amazing game.)

2. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Stuckey played the point, even when Billups was in with him to start the 2nd quarter. Stuckey is the guy who was making the decisions on offense. He brought the ball up. Sure, he called his own number a lot. Good call. Until a team like Dallas, with poor defense, goes out and trades for someone who can stop Stuckey, he should charge in there and ram it down there throat every single time.

3. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Good win. Good variety on offense. Sheed is a difference maker for our team it seems. When he is on, the team is at another level. Good to see Stuckey continue to drive. Glad they have stopped trying to make his game fit a mold.

My concerns for the playoffs? We are not getting much from that center position. If Dyss is not going to score, we would be better off with a big body because we are undersized.

Maxiel has to get that jumper back. He is so positive for us defensively. But we need him to be able to hit that jumper or teams will start to sag on him.

4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I concur here. We are getting boards from Dice, but you are right not that much scoring lately or stops. Need to give AJ some of those minutes for more development here prior to the break.

5. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Hey, Dre,

How about those Lakers (I know not the place). I would now trade Odom as never felt he could score enough.

On the Pistons, right, Dyss is getting boards but we are giving up size to have him in there at center. That could wear us down in a playoffs. The advantage of Dyss is suppose to be that he can score and spread the opposition defense. We are going to have to contain Z on the Cavs. I would give Amir more burn but am hoping Joe is shopping for a big body. I would like Prisbilla...

6. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Prizbilla is a good option, but i remember us pursuing him when Ben left and him not wanting to come here. He loves POR i guess, and i don't see him leaving or them trading him now that Oden is down.

Kurt Thomas has been discussed who i love, but we probably don't have what it takes to get him.

Wilcox maybe? Collison is serviceable, although his defense leaves much to be desired. Petro, i havent seen play much. It does seem like SEA is overloaded with bigs so maybe something with them.

I can't think of any other bigs at the moment.

AJ does need more time.

7. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

No Devin Harris and no Stackhouse.

We can defend and beat any team almost any time we want if they don't have fast guards. We did a real good job on Terry and the rest of the defense fell into place.

:hoops:

8. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Exactly correct. Dribble penetration by quick guards is the Pistons achilles (unless you can double-team or zone and the opponents outside shots aren't falling).

9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I didn't watch the very end yet, but as soon as I left chat, things seemed to go well.

I hope everyone is sated with the play of the young fellas, and the defensive effort. It was refreshing to hear the sideline capturing a very vocal Flip Saunders working hard to keep his guys on track.

If we can continue to improve and play this level of defense, we are title contenders.

10. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Roscoe, make sure you watch the finish. Even the last couple minutes of garbage time were exciting, as all of the Piston reserves were making plays and having fun.

11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I just want to point out that 23 FG's was the least we've given up all year long. And it is also the same number that we made against the Knicks in that horrible game.

If you don't count free throws, the Mavs are sitting on 48 points. They got smothered. Glad that it was on national TV.

12. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Not only does Stuckey look like 50 cent, but he's apparently got the attitude down as well.

HOOPSWORLD | NBA News, Rumors and Information

13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Stuckey seems to be getting his shot off pretty well against taller players in the paint lately. That shot over Dirk was very unlikely.

14. buddahfan

They played hard even though it was a blow out, which is impressive.

Notice that Herrmann didn't get in this game until Dirk was on the bench. I understand that Avery filed a complaint with the NBA league officials after the last game claiming that it was unfair to have a guys pony tail flop in in his superstar's face.

15. buddahfan

Dyess needs to play defense and get his rebounds 12 + a game will work. His offense is a plus.

16. buddahfan

Next to Kobe, Odom is their best all around player, even better than Paul minus the L.

17. buddahfan

It was the same thing in the first quarter when we played the Magic recently, but the officials evened things out quickly and made what would have been a blowout a close game.

18. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i thought this was a great game. stuckey impressed - and as expected - is making a difference and just needing time and experience to get comfortable. i think he was surprised at the skill and athleticism and shot-blocking ability of some players (remember in the preseason he was saying there wasn't a big adjustment to the nba?), and he lost confidence. i think he's realizing what he's got now, and i like his aggressiveness and confidence.

maxiell showed why he's going to be a big help in the playoffs, as long as he doesn't get back into a little funk (not like he was playing badly before, just not getting the jams and spectacular plays).

and everything else has been said already.

19. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Funny how for some folks those type of numbers were OK when Ben did it. Now when Dyess does it, we need another Big Man, go figure.

20. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

I agree, but what Ben did is (rebounding, defensive pressure) is at a much higher level then how Dyess does it. Dyess can't change a game defensively as Ben did. Dyess is not playing at a high level right now. He gets the bounds, but so does AJ.