Core reserves

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by 16 Mile, Oct 22, 2005.

1. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

McCoskey stated that the core reserves will be Arroyo, Evans, and Dice. With Darko and Delfino getting scraps off the bench. This clearly isn't the first time I've disagreed with him, but he seems to be more off than usual with that prediction.

I think the core reserves will be Darko, Delfino, and Dice. With Arroyo struggling for PT (I think Delfino will be playing 1-3), Evans having to learn how to play in control, and Davis being used just enough to keep him ready for the Miami playoff series.

2. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

With you all the way, 16

Don't know what McKlosky is on but you are much closer than he is. I think there is no doubt about it, either. :nod:

3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

People don't like McCosky because he doesn't tell them what they 'want" to hear BUT, more times than not, McCoskey is right.

I think that statement makes sense because Darko has not surpassed Dice yet, and Delfino has not even come close to surpassing Evans in the preseason.

4. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I guess we would have to define "core reserves"...as to how many minutes = core reserve.

Here's one swag:

Delfino10-12 MPG
    Evans 10-12 MPG
    Darko 10-12 MPG
    Arroyo 10-12 MPG
    Dice 15-18 MPG

Everyone else < 3 MPG

5. max

max All-Star

Hunter

I would not count Hunter out. As far as I know his injury required a month recovery time.

6. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

I think he has. At least as far as overall game goes. With Delfino in the game (usually next to Arroyo) it gives the team another ball handler to use. He has dished out exactly 3 assists in every pre-season game so far, and he is starting to score like his old self. And he can score on more than just 3's and Dunks. Plus, his defense has improved quite a bit, and his passing lane instincts get us out on the break very well.

However, I think they will both play a fairly equal role on the team. Using Evans for defense/3-point shooting, and Delfino for Passing/Slashing.

7. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

For me, core reserves are the guys who are going to get burn during the playoffs. LB only had 2, Dice and Hunter.

From what I've been reading, it sounds like Delfino has beaten out Evans. And unless Flip likes playing Delfino and Evans together (like I think he will be doing with Darko and Dice), I see Delfino getting the majority of minutes subbing for Rip and Tay.

8. TBird

TBird First Round Draft Pick

16 mile

I don't think CD beat out Mo Evans. I actually expect to see plenty of both this year. They have very different skill sets, which means either could be appropriate depending on the situation.

I think we went into the preseason with three "core" reserves-Dyess, Evans, and Arroyo (by default, because we have to have a backup point). I think Darko and Delfino have shown more than many expected and have both played their way into the rotation, at least for now.

We'll see what happens as the season progresses.

9. KP

KP First Round Draft Pick

Still need to prove it

Darko and Delfino are still a bit on the outside looking in because neither has played a full season in the league. The other guys that McCosky mentions have at least proven something in this league.

Darko and Delfino need to win the battle for these positions. They haven't done that yet. Preseason? Who cares? Prove during the regular season that you can bring your game every time you're given an opportunity.

10. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I've heard Flip say several times that he hopes to use a 10-man rotation so the players that you have listed seem reasonable for the "reserve core". I think McDyess might be more like 20 MPG. He has looked solid and was at 23 MPG last year coming back from the knee surgery. These reserve minute averages would indicate some significant drop in minutes by starters. If the reserves can hold their own, this will be a good thing.