Coach the Kids

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Laimbrane, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

What really sticks out to me in watching some of Drummond's videos is how raw he is. I mean, I know he was basically a senior in high school last year playing on an underperforming college team, but his one post move is a short range turnaround jump shot that he does not execute with any grace or balance. His form is okay, but his execution is poor; he needs a lot of gym reps and should hire someone to wake his butt up at 5am every day in the offseason and spend six, seven hours a day in the gym. It's like he was never coached on these things, so I'm not sure if he was and didn't listen, or if there just wasn't time for it during the year.

Defensively, he blocks shots well, but seems to be out of place at times - as an 18-year-old that likely coasted on his natural gifts until he got to college, this is to be expected. He loses position off the ball. Rebounding, he needs someone to show him how to attack the glass and not just "box out and wait." Oh, and he also needs someone to teach him how to box out. On the plus side, he comes out and plays the pick and roll well, but needs to be a little more consistent with it. That shows me, at least, that he's somewhat coachable.

He's not ready to start. If I'm Frank, I work him up slowly, bringing him off the bench for 5-10 minutes each half, and have an assistant coach glue his soul to the kid, watching and teaching and picking one thing out of every stretch of 5 games to focus on and improve. He needs a 1-1 debriefing meeting after every game.

If I'm Frank, I prioritize the following:
    1) Get him with Kander, building core muscle. He's quick for a big man, but it's "feet" quick, not midsection quick. In fairness, he was carrying more weight in college than he should be in the pros, but that's not going to be an adequate excuse now. The great shooters can adjust in midair; when they're in the lane, they jump and it's almost as if they execute a secondary jump with the upper half of their body once they reach the peak, as if they have two separate shooting actions. He doesn't appear anywhere close to that right now - it's all one motion with poor foot placement and a predetermined follow-through. Once he picks that ball up and goes into his shot, it's predictable, and going to get blocked a lot in the pros by guys that are around his height. He needs to learn to jump, center himself, and then go through his shooting motion. That's going to take some time to develop, and musculature he doesn't appear to possess yet.
    2) Get him working with a shot technician. There's no excuse for this picture existing. His hand placement is atrocious, and if UConn coaches allowed him to shoot like that even in practice, that would explain why he's a poor shooter in games. Look at this link: . At the one minute mark his shooting hand is too far to the side, his off hand is too far forward. He's going to be all kinds of inconsistent with that shot, which explains his terrible percentage.
    3) Get him with a dietitian and assistant that will craft him a diet that helps him put in the right kind of weight; high protein, etc. Frankly, there's no excuse for any NBA team not to drop $500k for dietitians for each one of their players, but Drummond will need it to help supplement the weight-room work he's inevitably going to be doing. He should spend two hours every day at the free thrown lane (not at once, obviously), just working on form, and catch and shoot with a detail-oriented assistant that will correct him when he's not doing things right. He needs to get that percentage up, because it doesn't matter how smooth of a post player he becomes, if he can't convert at least half of his free throws, he's going to be useless at the end of games.
    4) Get him with a retired big that made his living under the basket (Corliss Williamson?). He should be adding a post move every month of the offseason, and two during the course of the season. He needs to be taught how to pump-fake, up-and-under, how to shield the ball against contact as he goes up in the lane, how to balance himself on his turnaround, how to expect, invite, and draw contact to go to the line to shooting one shot instead of two. He needs to learn a drop step that I think he's quick enough to do well, how to guard his hand during the baby hook that his current turnaround sort of represents. He needs to learn to pass out of double teams, how to work himself into position to have a passing lane out of them. He's got to work on his footwork, how to shoot without jumping, etc.

The kid has all kinds of natural gifts, but depending on how hard he works it's going to be a few years before he approaches his ceiling. If he plays a significant role on the team next year (off the bench, hopefully), then we shouldn't expect much of him. The big key will be watching where he is at the end of the year compared to the start of it; that will give us an idea of how successful he can be.
    Slippy, raxrets, Mossberg and 2 others like this.
  2. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

From his interviews, he seems like a good natured, smart young man.

I get the feeling that he will learn quickly with the right mentors.
  3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

He sure made a lot of shots in that video. He shot 53.8% from the field as a freshman in college. I'm not sure what a shot technician is, but Drummond's shot didn't look that bad to me. His free throw shooting, though, definitely needs some help.

He was 0-for-2 from the 3-point-line last year. Perhaps they could bring in Will Blaylock to work with him this summer.
    BallDon'tLie likes this.
  4. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

It's not nearly as wonky as Tay's shot. He shoots with balance and his arms and shoulders look okay, although his left hand has a tendency to put a little push on the ball as well. Overall it passes the eye test, but that's primarily because you can't see his hands in the pixelated video. Part of that issue may be that he just has large hands and hasn't learned how to shoot with them. Ever feel how awkward it is to try and shoot a tennis ball, or watched Shaq shoot a free throw? I imagine it's somewhat like that, with him still being young and growing and learning how to use his body.

I think he'll get it straightened out - nothing leads me to believe he's uncoachable - but it's going to take time.
  5. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think it's very hard to make major changes to a guy's shooting form once they hit the NBA level. Some guys (Marion, Noah, etc.) do things really whacky, but it just seems to work because they are athletically gifted and they have repeated this whacky technique tens of thousands of times.
  6. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I think he'll surprise a lot of people and cause a lot of fan angst for golden state and Sacramento. It looks like his mechanic can be tweaked... It's not like reconstructing BK's shot mechanic. What sticks out is the lack of solid footwork on that turn around j. His body control is making up for bad fundamentals
  7. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

BK's shot is beautiful!