Cleveland March 29 7:30PM

Discussion in 'March 2008' started by max, Mar 28, 2008.

1. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

The Jinx is broken! (at least for this game) I tivo'ed the game, went out, and we won. That never happens.

I can't wait to watch.

2. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Decisive win tonight as the Pistons came out super aggressive from the opening tip. The Cavs were terrible on offense, shooting around 30% for most of the game, also thanks to some lockdown D. Z and Lebron combined for a brutal 9-33 from the floor. Rip struggled from the floor in his first game back in a week, 3-12, but he did go 8-8 from the line. The scoring was balanced between all the starters, and the final margin would have been bigger if not for the usual Zoo Crew garbage time collapse (although it was milder tonight than usual).

3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

DEFENSE, DEFENSE, DEFENSE!!!

The refs stayed out of our way and let us be aggressive.

Nice work from Theo on Z. Dyess, Sheed, and Maxiell were playing hard. Stuckey looks 99% comfortable.

4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The Pistons set the tone on offense and defense in the first quarter and never looked back. Did not need the three ball to win and was 1-4 in the first half and 0-8 in the second half. As Dumars4e said the 14 point win could have been bigger, but the second unit hit the tank when Fabio came in as he went 0-6 shooting and was a -10 for his efforts:)

Good statement win that tells the fans that they can play up to what we expect of them when the game counts. Maybe we need to have Mclosky in the stands more often as he was there for Thursdays win too. :sssh:

5. fwoompf

fwoompf First Round Draft Pick

That was a vintage pistons beatdown, HELL YES.

6. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Time for everyone to switch to our Flip Saunders' Avatars for good luck.

7. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Zoo time, great win.
    Flip's rotaion and plan is great this game that we worn out LBJ who looked hesitant after we gave him some triple team. The debacle where LBJ and MB got tech was priceless. None could come out of this type of defense, no one.
    Game by game Stucky is looking more and more like veteran player while AA was effective on LBJ, AJ got an off night but hustle as usuall, I love the young guy's playing and our future is bright.

Go Pistons.

Gotta command WH his approach was great.
    Damon Jones was fun to watch, wasn't he ? His way to push up-court backwardly was unique.

8. fwoompf

fwoompf First Round Draft Pick

I liked what sounded like an friendly ovation when Big Ben got hurt. Yeah, he'll get booed when he plays, but when he gets hurt? He's still The Man.

9. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Down goes Wallace.
    Down goes Wallace.
    In last years P/O we got to play our game the first 2 then the refs took the rug out.

10. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Darn, Cleveland broke the 70 point mark. About the only thing to worry about by the start of the 4th quarter, as Cleveland only had 50 points at that time. And they only had 54 five minutes later. Yes, Afflalo can play some D. He did quite well in the first half too, where Clevelan only scored 2 points with him in the game. Not to mention he was guarding Bron. And we are going to take him out of the rotation for the playoffs? Nuts.

Amir only got into garbage time. A block or two, several reabounds. As long as its just one game, its ok. As long as its just one game.

Theo looked pretty good defending the middle. Yes, he did stay in too long in the first half, but we are trying to play him into shape. (Two year layoff from injury.)

Rip was getting played back into condition himself after a week off. He kept hitting free throws even though he could not hit a shot otherwise for much of the game. On defense, he stuck with Bron well.
    Other than Rip's 14, Jason Maxiell's 13 was the next highest point total for us. Most of his was short jumpers, with him just rising up over people. Looking good.

Billups, Tay, and Sheed did not do a whole lot on offense, but somebody was playing some pretty good D as Cleveland only got 33 points in the first half, needing a bit of a run there to even get that.

Dyess had a fine game. Big Z gives him a reason to be in the game on defense, and he got inside for several scores and hit some outside shots too. Lots of rebounds.

Stuckey nailed a jumper and helped a couple of teammates to easy scores. Not bad. Afflalo did nothing on offense. He had some nice defensive plays besides just guarding Bron.

Hayes played, hit one shot. Otherwise, he was just a door for Cleveland to score. Maybe we are playing him just so Cleveland will be drawing their game plan up to score against him. Then we will fool them by not playing him. Hopefully.

Herrmann got into the game in garbage time and pretty much stunk. You can say it was rust from not playing if you wish, but he just looked slow in everything he does. Hayes would have converted those shots Herrmann got stuffed on. Herrmann was too slow.

How did we do for playoff prep? Nobody played heavy minutes. Three of our key young guys got substantial minutes while Amir got about 7 too. Theo got some time to knock off some rust. We watched Afflalo do well indeed guarding Bron. Lots of good stuff. If we contine like this, we will win it all. (A decision to shorten the rotation, removing Afflalo and Amir, and replacing Stuckey some with Hunter will mean a first round exit. Don't do it. Keep going as things are instead and win it all.)

GO PISTONS!!!!!

11. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

12. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I don't, why?

13. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

YouTube - Jack McCloskey Banner Raising - Mar 29 2008
    The better parts of the Jack McCloskey banner raising at halftime.

Without Jack, there is no Rodman, and possibly no Dumars. He might be the single most important person in franchise history, that only the most diehard fans know about. This is the man who drafted built the Bad Boys, brick by brick from coach to 13th man.

Last night, Daddy Rich, The Microwave, John Long, Rick Mahorn and Joe Dumars amongst others paid him tribute.

14. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

cuz he has been out lately and left from the game again because of that.

15. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Thanks for posting the video, Roscoe. That was a great tribute. I learned all about McCloskey from this book about the '89 championship season. It discusses the background of almost everyone on that team, players and coaches, but the real "protagonist" of the book is McCloskey.

16. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Wow did I love those Bad Boy teams.

Is there anyway Chuck Daly could come out of retirement and coach this current Piston team?

The camera angle last night caught Daly glancing at Flip, I wonder what Daddy Rich was thinking? If looks could talk I believe he was saying, "you ignorant SOB!. I would have won at least one ship with this group, but you seem to be coaching with your finger in your #$%"

17. max

max All-Star

It was a very good half time tribute. Usually I do not like those kinds of things but they did a good job presenting it and McCloskey is a very good speaker. Dumars said that he modeled his style after his which is about a good of compliment that he could have gave.

It was a pretty enjoyable game too. At the start I had a feeling that the Pistons were going to make it a statement game, they had this serious attitude about them that you knew they meant business.

They also had some cooroperation from Lebran as that was one of the worst games that I ever saw from him. Not only the bad shooting but he could not make a pass either. When James is off it really exposes the rest of his team for who they really are. I still can't believe we lost to those guys last year.

18. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

- Cavs missed some shots early they usually make but even those wouldn't have helped all that much.

- Darn, Sheed was on the good end of a bad call for once.

- Ben is still though by and large the only guy in the league who can seriously slow Sheed down on the block. He was having a solid game until the back caught up with him.

- I really like Stuckey's attitude. He just loves to pick on skinny little guards.

- Rip on LBJ. Got a lot of help, but that was impressive, and Tay hounded Pavolic into 0-6 when it counted.

- Sure am glad Herrmann found some industrial strength hair gel and can forego the headband and tieback. I've been concerned about this since he got here.

19. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Great game.

Rip/AA were good defensively. AA should continue to get 15-20 min even when Rip is fully back. I was impressed with his defense on Lebron. I remember him getting lit up (granted it was pre-season). Quickness seems to be the way to go with Lebron. He doesn't seem to like posting up.

Also Rip's hip has killed his shot. He needs to sit if neccessary. These last games aren't that important.

Stuckey is great. There are times i want him in the game over Chauncey. Although Chauncey has gotten so much better with attacking (extra rest helps). Stuckey's blow-by against Lebron and pass to Theo was fantastic. Kid's a stud.

Tay/Sheed were solid.

Dyess played well and coincendentally played less. He's so much more effective that way.

Amir didn't get in, but Theo was needed on Z. Everytime the defense broke down though, Theo could not recover. It's a catch-22. You need Amir in when we're allowing dribble penetration, but if we're not Theo is fine. We stopped the Cavs, but at the same time they weren't very agressive. Flip's got to be able to adjust in a series, and switch it up if neccessary.

Max was effective.

Pushing up the ball helped alot. The Cav's are not a good transition defense team.

Also, seeing Ben on the floor hunched over was unnerving. I don't remember him looking that vunerable ever. Theo was frustrating the hell out of him in the rebounding department as well.

I want to see how we match up against a healthy Cavs team. Delonte West particularly.

20. max

max All-Star

Not only Stucky, it was amusing how Billups and Rip just took it to Damon Jones whenever he was left guarding them one on one. No respect at all for Jones's defense. They have no one left who can play any defense in their backcourt.